NEW! Pioneer SE-MJ591 "Audiophile" headphones unboxing & impressions to come.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #46 of 188
I am listening to the 591 on my $1200 Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear. I can't say that it is any better sounding. This means to me that the drivers aren't very sensitive to amplification. The B&W P5 & P3 performs a lot better through a great amp like the Lehmann BCL.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #47 of 188
Whoa there Mr. Fancy Amp Pants, the best amp isn't going to make up for that $20 Monster Cab--  LOL, just kidding. 
biggrin.gif
  I do take it that the Monster Cable works then?  Probably sticks out a little bit, but the cans do accept the shank?

I inadvertently discovered a way to make the 591 sound INCREDIBLY GOOD last night.  I was given a pair of truly craptastic headphones to see if I could salvage them through some simple modding (foam removal, damping, etc.).  And while I could easily alter the profile, the crap cans never sounded anything close to acceptable.  No matter what, it was going to remain some shade of thin and sibilant.

However, I threw on the 591 afterwards for some recovery.  It was like sliding into a warm bath of sound.  It was great!  Matter of fact, the 591 never sounded so good.  Never know what you've got until its gone I guess.

Maybe that was that a factor all along...  we didn't cleanse our palate before sliding into these?  It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I was listening to a pair of Yogas (not a Fischer rebrand, another completely different model) and it had exceptional clarity for a simple pair of closed cans.  Then I moved into the 591 without skipping a beat really.  Might not have been sufficiently objective in my subjectivity?  What were you listening to RIGHT before these?  The P3 I think...quite a bit of difference there in clarity and detail I'd wager.

Or maybe I'm just really reaching and grasping at straws now?

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #48 of 188
I believe these headphones are engineered to carry the same sound signature whether they are amped or not.  Check their specs, but I believe this is purposeful.  I could be completely wrong though but the reason I say so is this was my understanding of new Sony MDR V55's.  Both of these headphones have similar specs in regards to resistance.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #49 of 188
I just got the SE-MJ591 headphones in my quest for the most perfect pair of headphones for all around use.

My criteria:
- Seal fairly well
- Don't leak noise
- Built well to take abuse (throw it in the bag)
- Sound balanced with an emphasis on detail and positioning.  I want to hear the small details that I don't hear with most headphones.
- Can be used for more than 3 hours without discomfort or fatigue

Comparison headphones that I own:  TMA-1 Studios, SC Aviators, Bose OE2's, Bose AE2's, Sony MDR V55, Koss DJ1000

So far I'm in love with these headphones and will be looking to sell the TMA-1 Studio's.  These have replaced my entire collection because they present themselves to be the best overall portables and they do not fall short in any one category (yet).

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #51 of 188
I ordered the Monster Cable i800 cable so it should arrive next week. I'll report back if it fits or not.

You didn't like the TMA-1 Studio? I was gonna get that one with Mic.

I do agree that these may be the best portable headphones in terms of sound and comfort. However, I do have the Klipsch Image One coming next week so we'll see of the 591 is still king.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #52 of 188
The TMA-1 Studio's are indeed very comfortable and they have a pleasing sound signature that does not fatigue.  They are not as revealing as the SE-MJ591 though and in comparison have a slight amount of sub bass roll off.

They can be worn for extremely long periods of time.  I do like them.

The cons?  Well...  I dunno...  I have to buy new ear pads to make them more like supra-aural portables (the earpads that came with mine were defective from the factory and I don't want giant-princess-leia-cinnabons on my head), and I have to buy a new cable for it because the coiled cable is not portable at all.   And when that is done... they fall short of the SE-MJ591's build quality, perceived quality and portability.

I find that I'm a 1 headphone kinda guy - I like 1 can that does all things well.  I may keep my Studio's... but I think will use the Pioneers exclusively.  They are more revealing.. that is what seals the deal for me.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #53 of 188
Man, I go away for a couple days and this thread explodes...

Quote:
I believe these headphones are engineered to carry the same sound signature whether they are amped or not.  Check their specs, but I believe this is purposeful.  I could be completely wrong though but the reason I say so is this was my understanding of new Sony MDR V55's.  Both of these headphones have similar specs in regards to resistance.

I should mention that the amp I've been using also has a bass boost capable of up to +12 dBs from 5Hz to 350Hz.  This really helps in terms of Electronica.  Might explain some of the "improvement" (i.e. coloration) I heard when amped.

Quote:
Has anyone had luck replacing the cable with something better?

I haven't tried yet - just been way too busy.  But I'll report back when I do, though HiFiGuy will probably have a verdict on that by then.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #54 of 188
How much do they leak sound? i would like to use them mainly at work..:)

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #55 of 188
Quote:
How much do they leak sound? i would like to use them mainly at work..:)

Not very much at all.  For a pair of supraaurals, they seem to do quite well in the leakage/isolation department.  I routinely use these on my commute (via rail) and at work - no one around me seems to notice a thing.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #56 of 188
Quote:

Not very much at all.  For a pair of supraaurals, they seem to do quite well in the leakage/isolation department.  I routinely use these on my commute (via rail) and at work - no one around me seems to notice a thing.

Thanks warrenpchi!My pair should come today,i'm looking forward to test them and make a comparison with all my other cans  :) i'm thinking to buy a spare cable,i hope Hifiguy will tell us if the monster one would fit these!

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #58 of 188
Quote:
The Monster cable should arrive tomorrow along with my new Beats MIXR headphones.  I'll let you guys know if the cable fits.

I've actually had the Beats Mixr for quite a while now..i would have never said but i like them!Not Audiophile at all but a fun sound signature that really please me and good isolation.A bit bassy and warm but not as much as the other beats or the bose (worst kind of sound,extremely muddy). At the beginning they were quite tight and uncomfortable but they got much better in time.At the moment I prefer them to my beyerdynamics DT1350 that sounds very analytic (someone is going to blame me for this..i know :))

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #59 of 188
Quote:
my new Beats MIXR headphones

WTF?
Aww man, I thought we were bros... Don't you go tell Momma bout this, that done break her heart if she finds out... It's that, that, that Guetta boy isn't it?  Been hanging out with them dee jays all hours of the night listening to Lord knows what kind of dirty, filthy cans!  Its all my fault - I shoulda been looking out for ya. 
frown.gif

BTW, let me know when the unboxing vid is up, YouTube's subscription notification thing is broken.
smile.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #60 of 188
LOL.... I needed to find out for myself if the Beats are really as bad as people say. From my short auditions at Best Buy, the MIXR is the best sounding of the Beats line. I will post the unboxing here. I've done a lot of research so I will let my viewers know how to ID a fake Beats MIXR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back