New photos of QUALIA 010
May 31, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianL
hehe looks pretty gimmicky.. I mean carbon fibre for headphones? I bet it's going to be as light as a feather tho.

hmm? my impression was that carbon was heavy, but strong? someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

May 31, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
hmm? my impression was that carbon was heavy, but strong? someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Nononono!

Pro Racing Bikes (not motorcycles) are built using carbon fiber because of its immense strength and extreme light weight
lambda.gif

May 31, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZuf
i've decided to go back to the CD3000 instead of getting the MSP.. i got the picture that the MSP won't solve my problems after all, and i just feel comfortable with more soundstage then RS-1's/MSP's could give me..
although i'm sure that in many ways, the MSP's are better then the CD3000.
i'm now building a system to the CD3000.. maybe it will fit the RS-1 well, who knows..

off topic a bit, aren't we?
eggosmile.gif

Welcome back Adam, we are gonna to sacrifice a lamb for that..LOL....

May 31, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #20 of 49
You spend that much money and you get cheesy orange colored pads? it'd better sound freaking good
rolleyes.gif

May 31, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 49
as mxs1030 stated, I went to the QUALIA store in the Ginza Sony Building (I made a thread about it here somewhere, link above) and tested out the QUALIA 010. I only had a short listening session with it due to constraints imposed by going to the store with my impatient grandmother (apparently looking at electronics all day isn't too fun for her) but the headphone was very nice. the construction (I tested out the handmade prototype they had in the store) is great (you would expect that from a $2600 headphone so no suprise there) and the 200 gram lightweight construction isn't bad either. the headband wasn't adjusted to my head and as such there was a slight gap at the top of the earpads but their custom fitting should fix this (at the cost of less people that can test your headphones out at meets and the like). as for the sound, just like the very flat response curve posted on the QUALIA 010 announcements, it has a nice even spectrum and was comprable to the R10 I tested out for a bit a while earlier at the headphone section of the Sony Building. I didn't do much critical listening (but am planning on another outing to the QUALIA shop in a few days, at least once more before going back to the US. having a reference is good but all my cans, except for an Omega II without an amp, are in the states so possibly I can borrow their R10
biggrin.gif
for comparison.) but it did perform favorably and I found it to be on par with my high end headphones (ATH-W2002, ATH-L3000, PS-1...) so it should at least be a decent pair of headphones. I don't know if it is worth the price yet, but hopefully I can figure that out sooner than later.

EDIT: to add something about the headband. it is meshy and fairly large so it distributes the weight of the headphone quite well. the headphone is already one of the lighter designs (cannot compare to some of the grado cans and similar cans, but is very light compared to the AT woodies and metal grados I have) so it just sort of rests on your head and you don't notice the headband at all. I liked it.

May 31, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #22 of 49
Those look very umcomfortable, no matter how sexy they look
cool.gif

May 31, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Those look very umcomfortable, no matter how sexy they look
cool.gif

they were not bad at all, although there could be a bit more padding on the earpads, I could wear them for a while without any problems I'm sure. I only tested them for a few minutes so I wouldn't know for sure about long term usage.

your ears fully fit inside the cups (unless you have really really large ears) and the large headband and other factors are very favorable for a comfortable fit.

May 31, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
You spend that much money and you get cheesy orange colored pads? it'd better sound freaking good
rolleyes.gif

I was under the impression that the pads were actually made of a pretty high-grade leather.

May 31, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
rolleyes.gif

the pads are red.
wink.gif
they also have them in blue.

and yes, they are leather and were quite nice.

May 31, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
EDIT: that jack! that neutrik jack!
biggrin.gif

That is a Neutrik jack isn't it! Oh well, I guarantee it won't take long for someone to make replacement cables for it since they are detachable.

I think its a great looking headphone and I can't wait to hear it. If it conveys music like the R10 I might have to pick up a pair.

May 31, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #27 of 49
What's wrong with the neutrik jack? A lot of the best extension cables use them, a lot of the better amps use the Neutrik connectors as the headphone input...
confused.gif

May 31, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #28 of 49
Don't you noticed the same or it was just me? IMO the driver is a little exposed from the inside, I would like it a little more protected from dust, sweat, hair tec...or whatever could go over the diaphragm, the mesh look like a metallic one, but the holes, I don't know, but I feel them too big, definitely if I got a pair, this will be the first mod, protection, "a panty hose" kind of mod maybe...
We are incredible, the headphone is not even released and we are already thinking in mods....LOL....

May 31, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 49
I just find it humorous to see a common $2 part in a high style pair of headphones. As far as sound goes, nothing is wrong with a neutrik. They make high quality products. Their jack is just a little clunky. Even though it makes little to no difference in the sound, I would expect something a little fancier - particularly the way Qualia is marketed as a cost no object, high style and high technology product.

In the end though if it sounds good I can easily get over the jack
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
What's wrong with the neutrik jack? A lot of the best extension cables use them, a lot of the better amps use the Neutrik connectors as the headphone input...
confused.gif

May 31, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
the pads are red.
wink.gif
they also have them in blue.

and yes, they are leather and were quite nice.

maybe its the camera, look at the fifth pic down and the pads look orange to me. and blue wouldnt be that bad
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back