New Panasonic PCDP lineup for the US announced
Jan 10, 2002 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

meithkiller

500+ Head-Fier
jn010830-2-1.jpg

Well, I saw the Panasonic Press Release saying that the US is finally getting the beautiful new SL-CT790. Japan has had it for a couple of months.

I also found a web site called Good Stereo To Go which lists all the latest PCD players (appears to be Japanese models) and also the latest cassette walkmen, MD players, and portable DVD players. Gives a few specs on each and some links to reviews and manufacturer web pages.

-Keith

Jan 10, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 18
YAYYY!!!!!!!!!

Wow...this is a typo, isn't it?:

MODEL
AVAILABILITY
MSRP*

SL-CT790
March, 2002
$69.95

SL-CT590
March, 2002
$109.95

SL-SX392C
March, 2002
$69.95

SL-CT495J
March, 2002
$79.95

SL-CT490
February, 2002
$69.95

SL-SV500
March, 2002
$69.95

SL-SV600J
March, 2002
$79.95

SL-SX390
January, 2002
$59.95

Because if it's not, I might just pick myself up a second one! Hehe that would be sweet, only $70. No I read in some japanese article that it would be around $150 US for the Panasonic sl-ct790

Jan 10, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 18
Too bad the press release is unclear regarding having an LCD on the remote control. I would guess they would keep that feature for the North America release, considering that the Japanese model has no LCD on the main unit. Panasonic probably wouldn't remove all LCDs, and they wouldn't go through the trouble of adding an LCD to the main unit.

So, maybe we'll finally have a remote control with an LCD on it? That would be great.

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 18
Yeah, the 790 is ridiculously cheap. Some major chain stores here in HK would mark it up above what the 590 sells for, but I remembered my eyes almost popping out when the salesman at another store whispered to me the price they're selling it for
eek.gif

Unfortunately it's got no antishock on / off switch, like all Panas these days it seems... which is why I went for the Sony 725 instead *shrug*

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 11, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Yeah, the 790 is ridiculously cheap. Some major chain stores here in HK would mark it up above what the 590 sells for, but I remembered my eyes almost popping out when the salesman at another store whispered to me the price they're selling it for
eek.gif

Unfortunately it's got no antishock on / off switch, like all Panas these days it seems... which is why I went for the Sony 725 instead *shrug*

Wait, so you're telling me it isn't a typo!?!?!?! It's really only $70 US?!?!??!?!?!?

Jan 11, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 18
Well, I don't remember if it was *that* cheap, but it was cheap, yeah, cheaper than it looked
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 11, 2002 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 18
Its probably a typo...you can get portables for cheap at some hong kong shops thats all. I'm expecting another digit in front.

Panasonic linear non-lossy anti-shock kicks in when you plug something into the line-out.

I woulda picked the Panasonic because if I'm using the line-out than I care if its lossy or not. If i'm using the headphone jack I won't care, and they improved the lossy anti-shock as well anyhow to not be such a high-frequency wreaker.

Course I still don't see enough features that would make it much better than the 570 which also has the same anti-shocks but toggable.

All about newer panasonics, and older sony's. Anti-shock toggle or not, many new Sony's are made in Malaysia or Indonesia, while new Panas are still made in Japan. And Panasonic's latest anti-shock doesn't seem as screwy to me as g-protect is. Some people can't even seem to figure out if g-protect ever turns off and it seems to vary from model to model.

Jan 12, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 18
Thought so, $70 just seemed way too good to be true, plus I have seen it on japanese sites for around $170 and i read a news article saying it would be approximately $150 us.
Still, they look might fine...I wonder how much they will cost in Canada...

Jan 12, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
Some people can't even seem to figure out if g-protect ever turns off and it seems to vary from model to model.

Well, the early high-end Sonys with G-Protection (D-EJ01, D-EJ915 and D-EJ815) have a G-Protection mode switch that can't manually be turned off; instead, it's determined by whether you have anything whatsoever plugged into their Line/Optical Out jack. The newer D-EJ925 and D-EJ825 do have an On/Off switch for the G-Protection; but "On" and "Off" are labeled "2" and "1", respectively. In either On (2) or Off (1) mode, the 10-second linear (non-compressed) digital anti-skip circuitry is ALWAYS active.

Older Panasonics had an Anti-Skip On/Off switch - but this year's Panasonics all have a lossy compressed anti-skip that can't be turned off at all - or on the current SL-CT780, one that's controlled by plugging something into the Line Out (North American market models) or the Line/Optical Out (Asian and European models) jack. As a result, North American models offer only the compressed 40-second or the linear 10-second anti-skip modes (Asian and European versions have a mode that completely disables all anti-skip circuits, as well).

Jan 12, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 18
Yah, so if Sony always has the 10 sec linear anti-shock...than what is the point of the toggle, so you can use the headphone jack in 10 sec linear anti-shock?

Given that newer Panasonic headphone jacks typically just sound better than newer Sony headphone jacks that point is moot. Also I am *not* considering Panasonic's midlevel line of players, but their flagship models. The sad truth being that Panasonic's flagship models cost just as much or even cheaper than Sony's midlevel made in indonesia break anytime models.

Those are MSRP, street price will be lower, and within a year less than $100.

Jan 12, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
That the sweetest looking portable ever!
But, $169?!?
cry.gif

Yes, it is pretty sweet looking, and that price is pretty high, but as tim d said, the street value will be less. The Panasonic sl-ct780 says that it's $169.95 US on their US website, but I have seen them here for as low as $190 CDN (about $125 US), and can often find them for $200 CDN (~$130 US). So I guess it's a lot cheaper than it says.
(Plus, since my mom works at Eatons i can save an extra 15%!)

Jan 12, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 18
Good point tim.

Yeah, the reason people are complaining is that they want to listen to their er6s, etc, out of the headphone jack, uncompressed.

Basically, the newer pcdps force people to use the line out for uncompressed mode.

Personally, I like the ct570 I told my sister to ask for for Christmas.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back