(New P-3/24), (Used Planar25) or (Used Modern CDP with USBDAC function) ?
Apr 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tidal

100+ Head-Fier
Hello 

I'm in Thailand and seeking for a good audio source. 
There are not much choices here, and most of them cost much more than they do in manufacturers' territories. Also, used equipment are also rare, especially the turntables. 

However, I finally have a chance of getting a used (and in a mint condition) Rega Planar25, which costs about 900USD (without a cartridge). The price is equal to a brand new P-3/24, which is out of stocks here and not known exactly when a new lot come. There is a color P-3/24 at the store, costing about 1000$. It comes without a cartridge or the TTPSU. 

So, the point is 'what should I choose?'. The old and noble Planar25? or the new and sexy P-3/24? Also, I'm thinking about a used modern CDP with USBDAC function(i.e.Marantz SA KI Pearl Lite or audiolab 8200CD) costing around 1000$. For me, one of these(CDP or TT) will be my first stationary audio source (I have listened musics from by Macbook in iTunes 
icon_smile.gif
 ). 

I have collected same very few amount of CDs and vinyls, and equivalent potential to buy more. You know, good CDs(and SACDs) prices are not inferior to the vinyls. 

Please guide me, anyone. 

Thank you.

May 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Tidal

I'd take the Planar25 over the 3/24. The 25 was made to tighter tollerences and using better materials, as befits its original higher price. The things added to the 3/24 since the 25's design don't let the 3 catch the 25 in performance.

25 vs a CD, that is probably best decided by how easy it is to build the library of your foavorite music on either format, in your local market. Can't answer that one for you. As you can tell from my avatar name (Gyrodec) I'm an analog head, and yes I do own a Gyrodec, which I love dearly. However, I mostly listen to digital from my PC now, as it fits my needs more. I still think analog sounds a bit better, but not enough these days to be the deciding factor in formats.

Hope that helps.

May 3, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 3
The Planar 25 has the RB600 arm, which is an excellent one. I have one that I briefly used on a Gyrodec and think it's better than the RB300 and derivations. Higher specs and build quality. The RB600 is boxed up in the closet (I like the SME IV better), but I'm keeping it for a second system someday.

I'd go for the Planar 25 without hesitation. Add a good subplatter like the Groovetracer and a Michell counterweight, and you'll have one hell of a turntable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back