New owner of UM3x: Did I buy the wrong earphones?
Apr 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
I've played around with headphones for a long time. I have an m-80 for portable use and both a Sennheiser 598 and Grado RS1 at home but still fairly new to audio. 

I am told that IEMs, unlike headphones, don't really need an amp. But to be honest, I enjoy my music just fine without an amp all the time from my headphones. As soon as I took these IEMs home, plugged it into my laptop and played, my god it sounded strange compared to when I had played it through my iPod and E11 on the way home.

I am not familiar with audiophile terms so I have many questions about the effects of what I am hearing. 

Running from my computer without an amp, the sharpness of the high notes literally make my ears cringe... Feels like two pins coming out of my earphones trying to make contact in the center of my brain when I hear those high Piano notes. But the volume isn't overall loud. This will be noticeable to anyone watching me listen to music because my eyes will actually TWITCH when this happens. Two major culprits are the songs "You and I" by Michael Buble and "Deep Blue" by Keiki Matsui. 

Then there is the whole problem of the music sounding like every note is isolated. I feel like the notes don't last very long and they are "empty" somehow and disconnected from each other. 

The other issue is that I can now hear a fairly audible hissing sound, with or without amp. 

Playing "Always On My Mind" by Michael Buble and it completely ruins his voice. Similar issues except he also sounds echoey and I feel like I am listening to a radio or something. His voice becomes thin and weak.

This is really the first time I've ever noticed anything so dramatic going from Amped and Unamped. What concerns me the most is that I am reading people who describe these earphones as "analytical" and "has very good separation". So now I don't know if my gripes with the UM3x is because I simply chose the wrong type of earphones.

I do know that the E11 improves the music for me a lot, although it does not remove all my issues. I have a Headstage Arrow on the way as well so maybe that will further improve my experience.

But I would like to know, am I just not use to the sensitivity of IEMs or did I just buy the wrong Earphones and am complaining about its qualities? Also, can someone translate my complaints into audiophile language so that I can avoid these adjectives later on when making purchases?

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 29
This has to do with your laptop.
I think I already answered that in your other thread, laptops have an integrated sound solution, not particularly spectacular. I too have noticed noise from my laptop, with sensitive earphones.
UM3x frequency response is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/517065/brother-and-sister-the-um3x-and-ck100
They are pretty sensitive to high frequency and low frequency, and neutral to the mids, which means they will reveal any noise.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 29
Yes, it explains the hiss I guess. I guess I will just have to discover the rest as I get use to these earphones. I also feel like the fit isn't good so maybe I won't pass judgment until I buy some better tips.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 29
I kind of felt like you do about the UM3x when I first got them. I hadn't heard an IEM like it before and I couldn't handle the amount of detail and separation. I wanted something a bit more mellow and laid back.

It took me a few weeks (maybe even months) before I realised that slowly over time I'd come to like the sound signature and forward presentation and I've not looked back since - nearly 3 years later and I still absolutely love the UM3x. I've tried some other laid-back, smoother IEMs and now they seem completely lacking in detail to my ears.

Edit: Oh, and if you wonder why I say I love the UM3x but then have a pair for sale in my sig it's because I decided to buy the RC version while my original pair were with Westone being recabled. I've now got two pairs and the original pair is surplus to requirements.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
I've played around with headphones for a long time. I have an m-80 for portable use and both a Sennheiser 598 and Grado RS1 at home but still fairly new to audio. 

I am told that IEMs, unlike headphones, don't really need an amp. But to be honest, I enjoy my music just fine without an amp all the time from my headphones. As soon as I took these IEMs home, plugged it into my laptop and played, my god it sounded strange compared to when I had played it through my iPod and E11 on the way home.

I am not familiar with audiophile terms so I have many questions about the effects of what I am hearing. 

Running from my computer without an amp, the sharpness of the high notes literally make my ears cringe... Feels like two pins coming out of my earphones trying to make contact in the center of my brain when I hear those high Piano notes. But the volume isn't overall loud. This will be noticeable to anyone watching me listen to music because my eyes will actually TWITCH when this happens. Two major culprits are the songs "You and I" by Michael Buble and "Deep Blue" by Keiki Matsui. 

Then there is the whole problem of the music sounding like every note is isolated. I feel like the notes don't last very long and they are "empty" somehow and disconnected from each other. 

The other issue is that I can now hear a fairly audible hissing sound, with or without amp. 

Playing "Always On My Mind" by Michael Buble and it completely ruins his voice. Similar issues except he also sounds echoey and I feel like I am listening to a radio or something. His voice becomes thin and weak.

This is really the first time I've ever noticed anything so dramatic going from Amped and Unamped. What concerns me the most is that I am reading people who describe these earphones as "analytical" and "has very good separation". So now I don't know if my gripes with the UM3x is because I simply chose the wrong type of earphones.

I do know that the E11 improves the music for me a lot, although it does not remove all my issues. I have a Headstage Arrow on the way as well so maybe that will further improve my experience.

But I would like to know, am I just not use to the sensitivity of IEMs or did I just buy the wrong Earphones and am complaining about its qualities? Also, can someone translate my complaints into audiophile language so that I can avoid these adjectives later on when making purchases?

If you use headphones often, the UM3x's soundstage won't cut it, it's too closed-in compared to headphones. The voice may sound like that because the UM3x's highs is recessed and feels "hollow". The UM3x is undoubtedly analytical and has awesome separation, but it just doesn't quite cut it as a personal listening earphone. I didn't like the UM3x, but I would suggest you to break-in to them (getting used to it), before deciding what you would like to do to it. If not, you can try "burn-in"(playing music without listening to them for a few tens of hours straight) which balanced armatures do not really need, but you can certainly try because the crossovers and cables may need to burn-in. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 29
The reason you're hearing the hiss is because of the high (56 ohm) impedance and the high sensitivity (125 db).  I'm using the Fiio E7 from my computer and it really mitigated the hiss.  Sound quality improved dramatically as well.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 29
First off, the sound signature of the Westones is pretty different to your current cans - give your mind time to get over this.  I have a pair of W3s, and thought I'd made a horrible mistake as well!  But I did persevere and they're wonderful.

Regarding sound from your laptop, integrated sound cards are rarely good.  I bought a new laptop - an expensive clevo - but the sound quality was godawful.  Completely unlistenable.  The analytical nature of the UM3X will only make this worse.  I bought a Fiio E10 as a stop gap, but we both need an amp which is silent using sensitive IEMs - I am currently saving for an RSA Shadow.  The Fiio still produces a slight hiss on low gain, which is only a problem with quiet classical or acoustic music.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
First off, the sound signature of the Westones is pretty different to your current cans - give your mind time to get over this.  I have a pair of W3s, and thought I'd made a horrible mistake as well!  But I did persevere and they're wonderful.

Regarding sound from your laptop, integrated sound cards are rarely good.  I bought a new laptop - an expensive clevo - but the sound quality was godawful.  Completely unlistenable.  The analytical nature of the UM3X will only make this worse.  I bought a Fiio E10 as a stop gap, but we both need an amp which is silent using sensitive IEMs - I am currently saving for an RSA Shadow.  The Fiio still produces a slight hiss on low gain, which is only a problem with quiet classical or acoustic music.

Persevering for such pricey IEMs doesn't seem to make sense though... 

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 29
Chances are your laptop has a high impedance output that may be skewing the frequency response of the multiple BA's, considering it sounds so different from your portable gear. I have this same issue on my laptop with multi-BA's.

How giving your brain time to adjust (persevering) to a different sound signature doesn't make sense is beyond me, regardless of price. It took several weeks for me to come to terms with my first custom and it's sound. It only makes sense to give it some brain time, unless it's so offensive you just don't care. In that case, don't waste your time, get rid of them.

Also saying because your used to full size headphones, then the um3x isn't going to cut doesn't make sense either. Someone can easily like both styles of presentation. I know I do and I find the um3x a superb personal listening earphone.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
Also saying because your used to full size headphones, then the um3x isn't going to cut doesn't make sense either. Someone can easily like both styles of presentation. I know I do and I find the um3x a superb personal listening earphone.

Yes, but if you're a fan of soundstage, then it probably isn't going to cut it. And you may like both styles of presentation, but that doesn't mean everyone does. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
I didn't like the UM3x, but I would suggest you to break-in to them (getting used to it), before deciding what you would like to do to it.

So you suggest that someone spends a bit of time getting used to them

Quote:

Then when someone else suggests the same thing you contradict yourself and say it doesn't make sense to persevere with them.

If not, you can try "burn-in"(playing music without listening to them for a few tens of hours straight) which balanced armatures do not really need, but you can certainly try because the crossovers and cables may need to burn-in. 

Then you come out with some complete crap about not needing to burn them in (which is true) but try it anyway (which is moronic).

You post too much for someone who knows so little.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 29
Sigh, why even bother. I'm a fan of soundstages, from open and airy to personal and intimate, and that's exactly why I like both experiences. Who says eveyone else will like it? I'm giving the other side of the coin to your definitive statement that it's not going to cut it.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back