New ortho on the old block: Audeze LCD-1
Aug 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how difficult are they to drive?

A whole lot easier to drive than my vintage orthos. I can only get to the 9 o clcok position on the EHHA to get to slightly above listening levels. Quite sensitive for such large ortho drivers. The 40 ohm impedance helps too I suppore and the lighter damping, fully open design of the cups.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomek.W. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you compare lcd-1 sound to yh1000 sound ?

heh...its quite far behind the YH-1000 sound in the bass and the mids is not fully up there with the classis yamaha mids but very close. The highs do have the airy ESP950 style soundstage which I like a lot. But to put it in perspective, I think the Yh-1000 suits my taste in music better than my ESP950+Stax SRm1-mk2 and better than the AKG K1000+EHHA combinations. But, THis is my personal choice and I am a weird one.
tongue.gif

Btw, do you want to sell your YH-1000...I will buy them if you will
wink.gif

I have handed off the Audezes to my good friend Donald (dBel84) for a few days. So, expect a few words from him too on the audezes.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing I thought when I saw picts. (About drivers).

The AMT are tempting but very pricey (got myself a precide ergo 2 but they are dynamic). [offtopic]

The AMT needs more love. Trouble is that it's only at its best once you take the drivers out and put them into a housing that isn't fundamentally badly chosen for the driver.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep..that's about right.

They are not the prettiest but Audeze could do better in this area. Though my girlfriend thought it looked cool and flashy (in a good way).
tongue.gif

Understand that these guys are great at making drivers.
This is a foster phone which they chose to test waters with. Thus far it seems to have worked. I have very favorable opinion on them for the most part. More detailed impressions to follow later today.

I wonder if they have something in the works for a follow up headphone with a better housing. It definitely is a limiting factor in taking these drivers even further in performance.

They seal quite ok on my head but not as well as I would like. And I agree it doesn't seem to change the sound significantly if I press and hold the cups against my ears. I used them yesterday for a good 5 hours and thought they were quite comfortable and non-fatiguing which is major plus points.

In their Twitter I read:
Quote:

Working on getting wooden enclosures

I might wait for that...

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #22 of 44
Any updates on impressions?

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 44
Have anyone compared them to the YH100 ( I mean the stock, not modded ones )?

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #27 of 44
The frames are honestly not too bad at all.

I have a good seal around my ears..they are amazingly comfortable..

Pros:
Amazing soundstage..ala ESP950 style

I love the highs..again ESP950 like..very lively (compared to my orthos)
Incredibly fast.

The bass seems to have increased in quantity since i last heard them. The quality too is fast..almost too fast. I would like it if the bass notes could decay a bit slower. It has the impact that my vintage orthos have except for the fast decay which makes all the difference for someone like me.

Very well balanced straight out of the box across the freq spectrum.

It is really comfortable.

Cons:
Fast decay on the low freqs.

Details in the highs are slightly muted.

Mids are a bit too forwardish for my tastes and I do like my mids forward.

What does it all mean: Audeze has made a great product for a really good price even considering the frame they have used. Seems like some are having fit issues..none of which I seem to have. And the cons are not really cons..these are things that can be tuned/fine tuned with damping which should make this a bargain. Some pads could also help with the bass issue.

I am going to be very sad to see these headphones go. But I know I wil have a pair of the Audeze based headphones in my lineup in the future.

Damn you Smeggy for tempting me with your AKG K1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisio06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have anyone compared them to the YH100 ( I mean the stock, not modded ones )?

They will easily beat stock yamaha orthos (discounting the Yh-1000 perhaps) and even modded ones overall.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #28 of 44
Sachu- What you mean the YH100 are beaten by LCD1? Do you enjoy every aspect in LCD1 more that in YH100?
I found YH100 sounding very good being stock. In my mind I like them more than my RS1. I'll tell you more, Yh100 impresed me so much that I accualy decided to sell my woddy Grados.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisio06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sachu- What you mean the YH100 are beaten by LCD1? Do you enjoy every aspect in LCD1 more that in YH100?
I found YH100 sounding very good being stock. In my mind I like them more than my RS1. I'll tell you more, Yh100 impresed me so much that I accualy decided to sell my woddy Grados.

The LCD-1 is a better headphone all around. It won't give you the thunderous bass that the Yh-100 has. I would say the mids are almost upto the Yamahas inquality which is a very good indication but may need a bit more tweaking on the damping to get it to its full potential.
But everything else the Audeze does seem to do it better.

I know what you mean by getting rid of your woody grado. I got rid of all my dynamics because of the Yh-100.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #30 of 44
I'm gonna go ahead and give this thread a bump, just because I'm sick of all the uninteresting phones I see on the front page. Sennheiser, Denon, Grado, blah blah *yawn*.

I'm not in on the 1st run, but I'm still very interested in version 2, however that turns out. Hopefully, it'll be bassier and have more natural tone to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back