New Oppo BDP-95
Mar 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #31 of 55
I have never had any kind of noticeable drop outs in my oppo.  In fact in plays 24/192 and everything else without any issues whatsover ever - which is a lot more than I can say about my much more expensive ext DACs.

Note, if you use anything except the RCA outs (or XLR) then you're obviously not using the internal DAC.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #32 of 55

Quote:
I have never had any kind of noticeable drop outs in my oppo.  In fact in plays 24/192 and everything else without any issues whatsover ever - which is a lot more than I can say about my much more expensive ext DACs.

Note, if you use anything except the RCA outs (or XLR) then you're obviously not using the internal DAC.

That is a very good point because HDMI or spdif are all digital out designed to by pass the internal Dac.  Why then the manual says if HDMI is not use, there may be problem in playing the highest resolution?

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #34 of 55
Oppo just released a new firmware for 95. From the release notes, for me the significant update is #7:

Provided smaller volume control adjustment steps through the Analog audio outputs. Previously the Volume Control adjusts at 5 per step in the index and 2 dB per step in the level. This firmware allows volume control at 1 per step in the index (100, 99, 98, 97, ...), 0.5 dB per step in the level for BDP-95, 1 dB per two consecutive steps in the level for BDP-93 (e.g.,indexes 100 and 99 share the same volume level).

Oppo continually updates and improves the 95's firmware.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #35 of 55
yes but the newest firmware release also removes any and all .iso support.  Granted it was an unadvertised feature but it's one of the reasons many people bought it to begin with.  I think I may not do the next update myself even though I don't know if it effects me.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #37 of 55
Do you guys generally connect the Oppo 95 directly to the TV or route it through your processor?  I know you can do both as it has two HDMI outs but which one will give you better pictures?  

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #38 of 55
I received mine today--I love it! It sounds even better than my Sony SACD5400ES player--greater detail and warmth. The video image is superb, too. I connect it to a Sony 6400ES receiver via HDMI with DSD and the primary audio source. Couldn't be happier with the results.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #39 of 55

Quote:
Do you guys generally connect the Oppo 95 directly to the TV or route it through your processor?  I know you can do both as it has two HDMI outs but which one will give you better pictures?  

Jalo, my understanding is that the dual HDMI allows you to use your 3D TV with a pre-3D receiver:

Dual HDMI Outputs – The BDP-95 is equipped with two HDMI output ports and offers the most versatile installation options. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-95 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-95 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.

That's straight from Oppo's own product blurb. Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #40 of 55

Quote:

Jalo, my understanding is that the dual HDMI allows you to use your 3D TV with a pre-3D receiver:

Dual HDMI Outputs – The BDP-95 is equipped with two HDMI output ports and offers the most versatile installation options. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-95 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-95 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.

That's straight from Oppo's own product blurb. Hope this helps.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:
Quote:

Can you tell us how you output the signal to your Onkyo?  My understanding is that HDMI, Balance, Toslink, Coax, RCA out put all have their own limitation.  The Oppo-95 manual indicated that if you use certain output method, it may not do good high hires stuff.  I think they recommend HDMI.

HDMI to the Onkyo performs as expected. In this configuration, the Oppo BDP-95's DAC is wasted as you are using the DAC in the Onkyo; and one may as well have bought the BDP-93. There is a justifiable question if the Onkyo is merely reporting what it sees coming in and is actually downsampling the troublesome content or if it is processing it without downsampling. Given Onkyo's claims, I suspect it is the latter; but I lack the means to prove this.

My problem with the BDP-95 was when I used the Oppo as a DAC (i.e. using the stereo analog outs from the Oppo) and used a USB drive as my source. I did confirm (but failed to report here . . . sorry!) that the USB drive and cable work fine for music playback on both Macs. That said, I just don't use the Oppo's USB input anymore as an old notebook computer provides a better UI for drive-based media playback than the Oppo anyway. The BDP-95's DAC still sees some duty when I want to listen to SACD, DVD-A and blu-ray disks with my headphones; and it has never failed me with these media. I'm content, but now think I should have saved $500 and gone with the BDP-93. YMMV.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #43 of 55
A question about BDP-95 came up on the Violectric V200 thread.  (http://www.head-fi.org/t/551173/review-violectric-hpa-v200-amp/1350)  Here is my response:

I'm on my 3rd OPPO video player and I love them. In addition to stunning BluRay video processing and 7.1 surround sound, the model BDP 95 has a high-end audio processor/DAC with separate XLR audio outputs. The lesser OPPO models just have a stunning high-end Blu-ray player with RCA audio outputs!! When I got into headphones a few months back, I immediately upgraded to the BDP 95 .

Since I listen to CD's and SACD's, rather than MP3 or other media, I went looking for a player with a built in DAC. NAD makes several CD players that include good DACs, the NAD C 565BEE looked attractive since it has Wolfson processors and the ability to also process a signal from an external source through the player's DAC. But, at the time, for the same money, the OPPO 95 had better audio stats with a "free" high-end Blu-ray player and 7.1 home-theater sound processing thrown in. So the OPPO was easily the better choice and still is to this day. It may be worth a call to OPPO to see if they will be coming out with a newer model with external digital inputs to their high-end DAC. Here is what OPPO says about the BDP 95: EDIT: the BDP-95 has dual USB and an eSATA port so I assume one could use it as a stand-alone DAC.

"The SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world’s best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast."

Now that I have the OPPO BDP 95 with very good balanced interconnects driving the V200, I am totally blown away by the sound quality. The music I listen to is detailed and complex. For example, with this setup I can more clearly hear (from a good recording) each of the 88 strings on a piano, or different instruments in an orchestra. It would be hard for me to imagine a better sounding DAC / amp combination at this point. I am just a little curious how much better the Apex Pinnacle might sound, but at 10 times the price of the V200? I think I'll be satisfied with this setup for many years . . . well, at least until the V282 comes out . . .LOL . . .
L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #44 of 55
Hi, I have a Marantz PM 7004 amp+Touch+KEF Q900 (and HE-6+EF-6 amp+Hm-801 player). I am thinking of buying a NDP-95 to play SACD and stream my jazz flac library which is on a Vortex NAS. I am not too conversant in all the audiophile terms but I like what I hear. Can the 95 integrate well to such a set up and stream ok off a NAS? I would be buying for its DAC also to hear directly on my phones, as well as replay through its superior DAC (to Logitech Touch's) to my speakers.

One question: I would like to buy a region free or even manually switchable (easily by remote) version and am unclear whether the units sold by amazon.com or Oppo directly in USA are region free/autoswitching or just Region 1 and not switchable (I mean beyond the old 5 switches max scenario of DVD players).

Also are the BDP-95 units sold as above auto voltage ie I need 220-240 and 115 use.

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #45 of 55
You may find AVSForum's BDP-95 owner's thread helpful regarding your questions about region free, streaming and NAS support. However, the BDP-95's remote and on-screen interface are not the ideal tools for navigating a large music collection. Unless they have added it recently, there is no support for saved play lists; your music is only organized by the folders you save them in - there is no support for metadata-based views (e.g. by genre, album, composer, etc.). Depending on the size of your music collection, this may or may not be a problem for you.

Also, you would be better served going with the BDP-93 and a dedicated DAC. The suggestion has less to do the quality of the BDP-95's DAC, and is more about flexibility and cost-effectiveness. You can get some decent DACs for less than $500 (the price difference between the BDP-93 and the BDP-95). For example, the digital coax out from the BDP-93/95 to the Schiit Bifrost is at least the equal of the SQ coming out of the BDP-95's RCA out in my opinion. The BDP-95's XLR outs may be another story, but are probably not of interest to you. In any event, the ability to upgrade your DAC - independent of your other gear - may be something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back