New Opera amp only...
Apr 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 35
Wow! I didn't know that! I assume it's new... That's something to consider, especially if I plan on using SACDs, at which point the Opera's DAC isn't being used! Ha! dangit that is new!! Just AFTER I received mine.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 35
I heard about it but was sworn to wait until it was announced to say YEEEEHAA!!! Now I just need to sell enough blood to get it lol.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 35
The OPERA-analog is the same amplifier as the OPERA shown below. However, the internal DAC has been deactivated and is not functional. Thus the amp only offers (two pairs of) analog inputs.

Weird. Why include the DAC even deactivated? Doesn't it still cost him $$$? I would think it would be just the amp and no dac at all.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 35
This is recent news since I was on their site late last week and the analog only version was not there. This is VERY tempting. I'm interested in getting a high-end SS amp and with Jan's implementation of the Opera I've had my sights on it except I had no need for the included DAC. Very cool!

Thanks to the OP!

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard about it but was sworn to wait until it was announced to say YEEEEHAA!!! Now I just need to sell enough blood to get it lol.

LMAO!....I hope...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 35
Wow- thats awesome. I don't have any regrets because I can use the Opera dac in one of my rigs. This amp is a definite cut above the GS-1 and the HR-2. I don't know if it is the balanced architecture or something else, but this has to be considered a bargain at this price.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is recent news since I was on their site late last week and the analog only version was not there. This is VERY tempting. I'm interested in getting a high-end SS amp and with Jan's implementation of the Opera I've had my sights on it except I had no need for the included DAC. Very cool!

Thanks to the OP!

I think it may be news since yesterday, because I didn't see it then either.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 35
this is really good news - an amp that promises most of the advantages of a balanced set-up without having to alter headphones to work with it, and with all previous reports being overwhelmingly positive. to clarify the bargain here's the current pricing info:
€665,- / $895,- outside EC, €775,- inside EC
vs the Opera w/ dac:
€830,- / $1120,- outside EC, €975,- inside EC
for those who are interested in reading more about meier's balanced ground scheme ck out his site and follow the links:
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 35
Dear Headfellows,

You guys are quick. I just updated the website a few hours ago.

The reasons for offering the amp without DAC are two-fold.

1. Various people have asked for a version of the OPERA without DAC.

2. The receiver chip CS8420 used in the OPERA exists in various versions and some are known to cause problems. This also happened with the OPERA. Whereas the original prototypes were working perfectly some of the production-series-models were having problems upon power-reset. Of course I could exchange the chip in all these amps but instead decided to completely deactivate the DAC and sell the amp without. Much simpler for me and it saves a few bucks for those people who don't need this feature. Be aware though that the number of these amps is limited!

Cheers

Jan

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 35
Hmmmm...interesting! The Opera sure is a GREAT headphone amp, and at that price - WOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back