New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
Jan 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #19 of 287
Just got these. The sound is in direct competition to the momentum, m500, m4u, 1r etc. Wonderful headphones.

Would love to hear more as you spend some time with them, especially concerning the particularities of their sound quality/signature and how you find the comfort. Amazon reviews seem to be pretty mixed (with a couple of Sennheiser HD280 users completely slamming them soundwise), so I've been a bit wary of trying them despite Tyll's video endorsement. Something about their looks keeps me interested, though...
dt880smile.png

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 287
They look even better in person imo. I got them on Thursday, and the right driver is sometimes defective. Ill return them but I'll definitely buy them again. And yes, only sometimes.

Tyll sayd their warm. Well, idk. They dont have that huge lower midrange to upper bass hump crating that hump. The mids are great, better IMO than the momentum. The bass is definitely emphasized, though not annoyingly so. Wonderful bass extension, having subbass I haven't heard before.

The highs for once aren't dark, and they're definitely not sibilant.

Comfort at first was...weird. It was 15 degrees farenheit out so the seal was a bit off. Now however, I love the comfort. Tyll described the fit exactly as I felt, and my ears are a tiny bit larger than normal. I have compared them to the:
Momentum
P7
1R
WS99
1R
Focal Spirit One
K550
And more and they compare really well against these.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 287
Thanks for the additional details, Trunks159. That's quite the list of competitors. Pity you don't have the M-100 on there, though, as it's my daily driver and I'd love to learn more about how the two compare to one another.
smily_headphones1.gif
What are your thoughts on the P7?

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 287
P7 is good but overpriced by more than $100.

They are a little more comfortable than the ES FC300, and the pads are thick and deep. The build is fantastic.

Sound wise, the soundstage is good, but other than that, theres nothing about them (though maybe detail, a slight bit of speed) that's better than its competition. I prefer the ES FC300 since its bass extends a little deeper, and its less than 1/2 the price.

Lol, the m100 is something I can't compare it to, but from reviews, I'd guess they sound relatively similar.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #23 of 287
P7 is good but overpriced by more than $100.

They are a little more comfortable than the ES FC300, and the pads are thick and deep. The build is fantastic.

Sound wise, the soundstage is good, but other than that, theres nothing about them (though maybe detail, a slight bit of speed) that's better than its competition. I prefer the ES FC300 since its bass extends a little deeper, and its less than 1/2 the price.

Lol, the m100 is something I can't compare it to, but from reviews, I'd guess they sound relatively similar.

Thanks again.
smile.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #24 of 287
P7 sounds a little better, but not $100 better, let alone $250 better.

The main competition of these price wise is with the UE6000. These are buult a little better and are less bulky. The Ue6000 is just as comfortable. It has more accessories.

The UE6000 sounds darker and duller, while the FC300 is exciting. The UE6000 has slightly less bass.

Overall the FC300 wins with more highs, more speed, and an overall better balanced frequency response.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #25 of 287
Got another pair. I'm simply amazed by how good these are.

They just don't lack anywhere. The build is good, the highs are present, the bass extends low and has tremendous weight, the comfort is great. Better sounding than my 1r. They'll be fighting the Momentum, ATH WS99, and others!

At $150, a complete steal.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #26 of 287
Got another pair. I'm simply amazed by how good these are.

They just don't lack anywhere. The build is good, the highs are present, the bass extends low and has tremendous weight, the comfort is great. Better sounding than my 1r. They'll be fighting the Momentum, ATH WS99, and others!

At $150, a complete steal.

mmm this are the headphones w/ the weird proprietary cables? looks cool, but no thanks for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back