New Omega Seamaster GMT on the way !
Aug 17, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #16 of 35
If IWC is tier 2...what the heck is in tier 1? IWC has watches in the $1 million range...like...3 made a year or something.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
If IWC is tier 2...what the heck is in tier 1? IWC has watches in the $1 million range...like...3 made a year or something.

Straight from him:
"(i would say that there would be an argument for Patek Phillipe, A. Lange & Sohne, Vacheron Constantin in the top tier - and probably Audemars Piguet)"

Remember, Patek Phillip has the sky moon tourbillon which they manufacter only two of per year and sell for 1 and 3/4 million. Not sure about the other companies.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Remember, Patek Phillip has the sky moon tourbillon which they manufacter only two of per year and sell for 1 and 3/4 million. Not sure about the other companies.

I'd be happy with this from IWC:

9270_024_m.jpg

50 made a year, set you back a mere $300,000...

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
I'd be happy with this from IWC:

9270_024_m.jpg

50 made a year, set you back a mere $300,000...

Looks like gold or something on the bracelet. There was an interesting post on timezone on how steel, gold and platinum bracelets really affect the price of a watch..

See:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_2054137

And for further proof..

Your watch with a gold bracelet:
http://www.yatego.com/prestige-uhrce...gmt-2134-80-00

I think I like the blue dial version better personally for the seamaster GMT though. The design, coloring, and bracelet are more my cup of tea. All of them are very nice watches though IMO, and probaby very luminescent at night
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.ph...=3&no_cache=1#

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

I think I like the blue dial version better personally for the seamaster GMT though. The design, coloring, and bracelet are more my cup of tea. All of them are very nice watches though IMO, and probaby very luminescent at night
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought about the co-axial in blue, but retailing for $900 more than the 'regular' GMT, it was a little out of my price range !!
mad.gif

And yes, very glowy at night as you can see in this review:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se.../omegagmt.html

biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
I thought about the co-axial in blue, but retailing for $900 more than the 'regular' GMT, it was a little out of my price range !!
mad.gif

And yes, very glowy at night as you can see in this review:

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se.../omegagmt.html

biggrin.gif

Most of the sea watches are really luminescent. My neighbors tag divers is pretty good, and if you hold it under bright light for a minute and go into a dark room you really get quite an light. Do you dive?

Anywho, as soon as I spotted the Omega speedmaster watches I fell in love. It was the first watch I saw which I just said "damn, that thing is perfect for me!"

Btw, the bracelet on your watch is probably going to match better with stuff then the bracelet on the co-axial.

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #22 of 35
No, I don't dive, I get panic attacks in the tub
tongue.gif

The bracelet was one of the factors that sold the watch for me.

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 35
I want:
  1. a helium release valve, therefore, diving watch
  2. steel or titanium, but I like a good weight so steel likely
  3. automatic for sure
  4. chronograph for good measure

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #24 of 35
very nice!
I got an old school (70's) Seamaster 1010. My dad gave it to me.

about the so-called tier 1 watches, I think it's mostly hype, especially the price.
http://www.thewatchquote.com/List-Pr...tch-No_977.htm

if the skymoon blah blah was made in china they would be assembling at the rate of 20000000 per year and sell for $19.99
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
very nice!
I got an old school (70's) Seamaster 1010. My dad gave it to me.

about the so-called tier 1 watches, I think it's mostly hype, especially the price.
http://www.thewatchquote.com/List-Pr...tch-No_977.htm

if the skymoon blah blah was made in china they would be assembling at the rate of 20000000 per year and sell for $19.99
tongue.gif

I don't understand what your saying. The sky moon tourbillon is an very complex watch which took years of R&D to make. It does not just provide time. I suggest you do some googling and research on this watch and it's history. A watch like this could not be assembled in mass production in China due to the complexity of it. There is an reason why it costs so much, and it's not just because of hype.

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #26 of 35
I'll admit Patek's are high quality... but I doubt they're worth that much.

My friends mom had a choice of picking a Patek or Longines her father had and her sister got the other. She picked the Longines...

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #27 of 35
My dad has what I think is one of the coolest looking watches ever, an Omega "Megaquartz" Marine Chronometer. Looks like this:

Apparently it is still the most accurate wristwatch ever made:
Quote:

Originally Posted by OMEGA Marine Chronometer, 1974
The most accurate wristwatch in the world.
Still today, the Megaquartz 2400 is, indisputably, the most accurate, the most technologically advanced wristwatch in the world.
Developed by OMEGA in collaboration with the Battele Institute of Geneva, the first prototypes (cal. 1500) were presented at the Basel Fair in 1970.

Just looks sweet to me. He has a seamaster, very comfortable...though I prefer the look of his Submariner (that Rolex is so generic though) more.

I love my Glycine (another overlooked, though more affordable Swiss choice). If I only had the money, I'd upgrade to this badboy:

1000FR.jpg

or
1000SM.jpg

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

I don't understand what your saying. The sky moon tourbillon is an very complex watch which took years of R&D to make. It does not just provide time. I suggest you do some googling and research on this watch and it's history. A watch like this could not be assembled in mass production in China due to the complexity of it. There is an reason why it costs so much, and it's not just because of hype.

China can reverse engineer microchips, something like the Sky Moon Tourbillion would be child's play.

Design complexity isn't why it cost so much, the amount of man hours required to machine the parts, fit them, and asssemble the watch is. So while you can't technically mass produce them, MIM parts combined with cheap Chinese labor could crank out these things at a reasonable price.

Aug 17, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #29 of 35
Is Ebel one of the better watch brands out there? My uncle has one and ever since I've had my eyes on a nice chrono from them. But for right now my trusty technomarine does the job pretty well.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #30 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back