New Omega Seamaster GMT on the way !
Aug 16, 2006 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Julz

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after thinking about getting a new watch for some time now, finally pulled the trigger yesterday. Ordered a black dial Omega Seamaster GMT. The dealer I went to didn't have it in stock so it'll be here tomorrow/friday.

Decided to go with an Authorised Dealer instead of an online place for a few reasons. Firstly, some online places actually sell watches with serial numbers removed. Somehow a butchered watch didn't appeal. Secondly, Omega will not honor any kind of warranty with watches bought online. If, heaven forbid, there's a problem with the watch, I don't like the idea of sending the watch back to lovelywatchesdotcom (obviously a fictitious name!!) where they'll give the watch to some bloke who knows a bit and will have a go at fixing it... Lastly, the Dealer actually gave me a very good discount, not far off what the online places are offering.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement at getting my first up-there luxury watch !

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 35
congrats..i have had my seamaster pro for 9 years now without a problem..the only suggestion is if you are not gonna wear it daily get a watch winder...never had to get mine serviced as opposed to my 2 other friends who bought one with me who let theirs run down and stop repeatedly. they had to have theirs serviced 3-4 times each already at 400 bucks a pop. enjoy

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
..the only suggestion is if you are not gonna wear it daily get a watch winder...

I did consider getting one and still might, but to be honest, she's going to be my everyday watch.

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 35
Hah! I want to get an Omega Speedmaster reduced, or day-date (GMT is too expensive I think), but I think I will have to go with the older models. The new models coming out are all going to be 40mm I think.

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 35
Very good choice, I love Omega Seamasters.

Take some pictures when you get the watch..
cool.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 35
Great choice, Omega is a great watch company and often overlooked. I had an speedmaster which was stolen back in 1978, it was a great watch.

I still have my dad's constellation from 1973. Hope you enjoy it.

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Omega is a great watch company and often overlooked.

True. I did overlook Omega at first. I was going with either Breitling or IWC...but one evening, coincidentally in a local watering hole to our office tuesday night is James Bond night, female bartenders all in slinky black dresses, the guys in white tux's, Bond movies on their big screen, that kind of thing, anyway this particular tuesday, just blowing the froth off a couple of Fullers London Pride, my buddy let me try on his Seamaster Pro and it just felt so right. Nice weight, suprisingly thin (the Breitling I liked is about half the thickness of my wrist...) and bit of a bargain compared to the IWC I had my eye on.

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 35
I don't think IWC was always that expensive...

Why are certain swiss watch brands increasing price soo much?

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
I don't think IWC was always that expensive...

Why are certain swiss watch brands increasing price soo much?

I don't know, but the IWC Aquatimer retails for $4800, almost twice the SM GMT. I did read somewhere that IWC poo-poo the idea of getting their movements certified by COSC and have their own in-house testing facilities, more stringent than COSC... that may bump the cost up I guess because the movements have to be manufactured to tighter tolerances and a greater degree of precision.

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 35
Schweet! I love Omegas!

For now I have to be satisfied with a lowly Tag. But maybe someday...I'll win that big Powerball!
biggrin.gif

Of course if I do...that kinda money could buy a lot of headphones!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 35
I recently spoke to an head-fier who has an Rolex who imo kind of overlooked Omega. I asked my friend from timezone and amazingly he puts Omega in tier 3 with Rollex and Panerai. He put Breitling in tier 4 with tag ball and some others. He put IWC in tier 2.

If you wear an omega, for some reason it makes me feel that you have less of a chance for it to get stolen then an Rolex (although the previous poster seems to have had his '78 speedmaster sotlen unforteuntly.) A lot of people (maybe I'm wrong) don't even know who Omega is. I asked some kids and none of them knew who Omega was, but they did know about Rolex and some knew bout tag.

BTW, a lot of AD can discount up to like 20-30% depending on the watch. I'de never buy an watch online (unless it was used off timezone). I read something (don't hold me for this, I remember faintly) that some omega watches bought online don't have a serial number or something. The only thing is if I'm getting it from an AD, I'de demand either a BNIB one or for them to order me a BNIB one. I don't like buying display units that have been tried on by like 1000 people.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
BTW, a lot of AD can discount up to like 20-30% depending on the watch. I'de never buy an watch online (unless it was used off timezone). I read something (don't hold me for this, I remember faintly) that some omega watches bought online don't have a serial number or something.

Yep, you're right. That's what put me off ordering online. One place I checked even charged $100 more for a watch because it has it's serial number intact as opposed to an identical watch that had the number removed !!!

I got 35% discount for a cash sale
cool.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Yep, you're right. That's what put me off ordering online. One place I checked even charged $100 more for a watch because it has it's serial number intact as opposed to an identical watch that had the number removed !!!

I got 35% discount for a cash sale
cool.gif

Was it 35% off and no tax ontop (if so, 50% if you were to have original retail price + tax.) If so, that's an amazing deal, if not, still an good deal. When I was looking at buying a Swiss Army watch (before I decided on an Omega), a couple stores gave me something like 25% off and tax inclusive, so 40% off what it would had been at retail price + tax.

Also, I read somewhere that on the Omega site it says that online sites are not ADERS or something like that (take this with a grain of salt too because I hardly remember what exactly was said too.)

I also remember reading something that you may have trouble getting Omega to do service on your watch if it has no serial number, but take this with a grain of salt too because I hardly remember.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Was it 35% off and no tax ontop (if so, 50% if you were to have original retail price + tax.) If so, that's an amazing deal, if not, still an good deal. When I was looking at buying a Swiss Army watch (before I decided on an Omega), a couple stores gave me something like 25% off and tax inclusive, so 40% off what it would had been at retail price + tax.

Also, I read somewhere that on the Omega site it says that online sites are not ADERS or something like that (take this with a grain of salt too because I hardly remember what exactly was said too.)

I also remember reading something that you may have trouble getting Omega to do service on your watch if it has no serial number, but take this with a grain of salt too because I hardly remember.

Jag, I did a bunch of research before pulling the trigger and you're right. No official Omega service/repair center will touch a watch that's had it's serial number removed. I even heard of watches being confiscated (this is with a small pinch of salt) after being brought to an official service center because the serial number had been tampered with. How true this is, I don't know.

Read all about it here: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches...shtml#noserial

The 35% was after retail + taxes.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Jag, I did a bunch of research before pulling the trigger and you're right. No official Omega service/repair center will touch a watch that's had it's serial number removed. I even heard of watches being confiscated (this is with a small pinch of salt) after being brought to an official service center because the serial number had been tampered with. How true this is, I don't know.

Read all about it here: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches...shtml#noserial

The 35% was after retail + taxes.

Interestng. I will read that link later. It is illegal to have fakes either (although those are real just without serials), so problems could definitley occur.

I am thinking I am probably going to get 35% off after retail + taxes too, similiar to you. I am really excited though, and I am confident that this purchase will be for a watch that will be built solid and last me an long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back