New(old) Yggy replacing my Gumby
Sep 25, 2019 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ralong

New Head-Fier
20190914_104014.jpg
Hi

After owning the Gumby A1 for more than a year I got the courage and finally bought Yggy version A1.

I read a lot about differences, and that some people prefer the gumby. So I was a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. But i am so so happy that i did.
To me Yggy is superior to the Gumby in almost every way. I had a lot the: "I'm listening this for the first time" moments after upgrading.

Another thing is the burn in time, I think it's exaggerated a bit. My cold yggy sounded great from day one, maybe it's because it was a used unit, IDK.
Cold Gumby on the other hand sounded very bad, thin and harsh. After a week it shows it's strengths, the warmth, fullness and the soundstage.
I feel the gumby has wider soundstage than the yggy, plus it really sounds close to my turntable. So people loving vinyl will be very happy with it.
It's also more forgiving to harsh recorded music. Yggy will punish You bad when You wanna play it, like a razor to your ear.

Now, the Yggdrasil till the about 3 weeks mark changes a little. But after that time it sounds majestic. It has completely disappeared, I'am left just the music in my room. Great imaging and realness factor, also the bas hits so hard that i can feel it in my guts.
giphy.gif

Now I just sit and listen to the music not the hardware.
Honestly I cant even imagine what the A2 version could improve over the original.

Do not get me wrong, Gumby is an absolute beast of a DAC, the best i heard... until i got the yggdrasil.

Gumby:
Wider soundstage
Warmer, more analog sounding
Never harsh (after warming up)

Yggy:
Deeper soundstage
More Details
Faster, harder hitting Bas
Instruments sound clearer, less "jagged"?!
Sometimes harsh (after warming up)

I am using the Digigram_VX222e AES/SPDIF output as a source for the DAC, and listening on Unity Audio The Rock mkII speakers + SVS SB12-Plus Subwoofer with schiit freya preamp.
Balanced Connection
Room treatment

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back