New Nuforce iDO - August 2011
Apr 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

blackzarg

100+ Head-Fier
I just got an email from Nuforce talking about a new product this spring. I thought I would find a lot of pre-release interest with a google search (and here)...but I found nothing! Did anyone else get the email regarding the iDUH?

Quote from Nuforce Email:
We will be shipping the iDUH, a digital DAC and headphone amp for iPods/iPhones/iPads, some time in June. The NuForce iDUH converts an iPod's digital music into high-quality audio via its RCA analog outputs. Two 6.5mm and 3.5mm high-performance headphone outputs and an S/PDIF digital output are included in this state-of-the-art device. We will announce the iDUH's retail price in June, along with our promise that, one, it will be reasonable, and two, that it's bound to establish a new price-performance standard.

EDIT 5/22/11 per post #12: This will now be called the iDO.

EDIT 6/23/11: The iDO now appears on Nuforce's website with a MSRP of $249.
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iDO/index.php

Nuforce Description:
Quote:
Do you want better sound from your Apple iPad™, iPhone® or iPod®? i DO!

The iDO is a full digital-dock interface and headphone amplifier for iPOD/iPHONE/iPAD that extracts audio data in its original digital form in USB Host mode and converts it to high-quality analog and coaxial outputs.

Do you want better sound from your Apple iPad™, iPhone® or iPod®? Their unique ability to store music files in the Apple Lossless Encoding (ALE) format – a methodology that preserves the original studio recording’s minutest details – makes it possible. 

With the NuForce iDO, you can finally realize your music’s full potential. The iDO extracts audio data in its original digital form in USB Host mode, thereby allowing for the ultimate in bit-perfect, low-jitter music file playback. 

Featuring audiophile-grade 24-bit D/A converters that operate exclusively at the data's native* sample rate, the iDO also offers a built-in headphone amplifier capable of powering hard-to-drive headphones to their full potential. 

The iDO’s analog RCA and digital S/PDIF connectors interface with your home stereo system. The digitally controlled analog volume provides precise control, accurate channel tracking and superior resolution.

*Apple's current maximum supported sample rate is 16-bit/44.1kHz, but our 24-bit DAC allows for future performance improvements.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 14
I have an iDuh everytime my iPod freezes, needs to be restored, or refuses to load a song.

Really cool product though! might be some competition for the Pure i-20

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 14
What a terrible name... duh
tongue.gif

Looks very interesting, though, and knowing Nuforce, it has the potential to make a pretty big splash in the portable/transportable arena.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 14
I also got that email from Nuforce. I hope the iDuh is portable and reasonably priced cos I really don't want to shell out $600 for the SOLO
redface.gif

May 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 14
sweet! hope its iWallet friendly
wink_face.gif

May 22, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Any news on the iDuh? lol
name is still funny as hell.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/554723/nuforce-at-high-end-2011-in-munich-germany-can-you-spot-a-few-new-products

Quote:
That's the prototype Icon iDO - it takes digital output from iPod/iPAD/iPhone.  The RCA out from iDO is connected to Icon Amp to drive those two speakers. Headphone and coaxial outputs are also available.
The production version is suppose to look like this https://picasaweb.google.com/nuforce.com/IconIDO#5605111284542322034

For the whole album: https://picasaweb.google.com/nuforce.com/MunichHighEnd2011#

May 22, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 14
Changed the title to reflect its new name, per jasonl's post!

Quote:
We have been looking at these issues for a long time. To get really high quality sound, a power supply is required. Sure, it is possible to use a large lithium battery similar to laptop power, but the final cost makes the pricing unrealistic for most people.
uDAC-2 is pretty good and it is very likely that with future uDAC-3, we can go to 24/192kHz and further improve the analog section, perhaps a $199 version to co-exist with $129 version.

uDAC series is for laptop use.

Now I am going to leak out a new product called Icon iDO (instead of iDUH as mentioned in one of the forum).
interface for Digital Ouput for iOS (and iPod) devices. What differentiate iDO with a few other such devices on the market is the combination of high performance, lots of features at a very affordable price.
I can only disclose the features for now:
  1. Bit-perfect and low jitter USB Host Mode operation
  2. Digitally controlled analog volume control
  3. Large 6.3mm headphone output jack (3.5mm adapter provided)
  4. 24-bit DAC (whenever Apple provides 24bit/96kHz support, we are ready)
  5. No sample rate conversion
  6. use 12V DC input power (power supply is included).  For travel, it is easier to bring the AC-DC power supply instead of carrying a heaving battery.
Outputs:  S/PDIF, RCA, headphone
Price - very affordable

Please do not flood our email box with questions about iDO, you will hear more about it before end of May for possible volume shipment in early July.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 14
Updated with new info and links. Available in August!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back