New Nomad Jukebox ZEN
Sep 19, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 21
EAX? You mean built-in distortion. Great if you're making MP3s of game sounds. Not for music.

And the shape, it's so... original! I wonder why theye didn't go all the way and use a scroll wheel?

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 21
The thing still won't fit into any of my pockets:

zen.jpg

Creative still doesn't understand that its players would benefit from a larger, higher-resolution screen. It's not too bad looking though.

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 21
It certainly isn't as nice looking as the Ipod. I couldn't agree more about the screen and size. It's not going to appease the "in the pocket" crowd -- and what's the point of making a smallish player if not for this purpose. Maybe it's release will coincide with a major price reduction of the Nomad 3? Hey, I'm looking for a bright side.

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 21
It still may not be as small as the ipod, but c'mon...how small are your pockets! Look at this pic comparing the ipod and the NJB3, then look at the pic above. It's not that big a difference. You guys are really scrapping for negatives now. Is that size difference worth $140 more? Also, when it comes to sound quality, the ipod can compare to Creative.

nomad_3_ipod_front_small.jpg

Sep 19, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 21
I'd have to agree with aeberbach, I almost returned my NJB 3 because of the distorted sound from the majority of EAX settings. Once I turned off EAX and ran the line out to my Headroom Supreme headphone amp / Grado rig, the sound was very very nice.

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 21
Ok, major negatives:

- small, low res screen
- it's only ~$50 cheaper than the 10GB iPod (the Zen is 10GB also)
- control buttons are strangely placed on both side panels, nothing on the front
- scroll wheel isn't as functional or easy to use as ipod's
- USB 1.1 (why not just make it 2.0)
- proprietary disk format
- pitiful PlayCenter3 software software
- slow release of firmware updates
- if it's like the NJB3, it'll have some major bugs when released
- poor customer support
- poor warranty service/repair (compared to Apple's 48-hour turnaround time at no cost whatsoever)
- 90-day warranty (compared to iPod's 1-year warranty)

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 21
But I must be fair and mention the good:

- aluminum case with anti-corrosive finish (the iPod gets scratched if you just look at it)
- can be charged from USB
- custom EQ settings (not important for anyone here
tongue.gif
)
- has a queue feature that the iPod still only dreams of, the best thing going for the Jukebox series IMO

The battery is integrated like the iPod, I think.

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by cstyle
It still may not be as small as the ipod, but c'mon...how small are your pockets! Look at this pic comparing the ipod and the NJB3, then look at the pic above. It's not that big a difference. You guys are really scrapping for negatives now. Is that size difference worth $140 more? Also, when it comes to sound quality, the ipod can compare to Creative.

nomad_3_ipod_front_small.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks as if the Ipod is about 1/2 the width of the Nomad 3, while the Zen is approximately 2/3s the width.

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil
- can be charged from USB

ipod charges from firewire, so this isn't necessarily a "good" option.

i don't like apple at all, but even i want an ipod. the support is there and it's a nice product (even if that damn apple font sucks). creative is known for horrible drivers and support. i'll stick with the ipod on my wishlist..

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks as if the Ipod is about 1/2 the width of the Nomad 3, while the Zen is approximately 2/3s the width.

I looked up the specs:
The iPod is about 1cm less in both height and width and about the same thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back