New Nine Inch Nails! Hesitation Marks
Sep 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 26
Just finished listening to it and honestly, I think this is just another in a long line of very average albums put out by NIN.  I haven't felt that Trent has made a solid album since TDS, with the exception of "Still".  The Fragile has some excellent songs on it but it was a bloated double album with just as many terrible songs.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 26
Just finished listening to it and honestly, I think this is just another in a long line of very average albums put out by NIN.  I haven't felt that Trent has made a solid album since TDS, with the exception of "Still".  The Fragile has some excellent songs on it but it was a bloated double album with just as many terrible songs.

I still feel an average NIN album is above 90% of most bands 'average' work.

I loved Ghosts, and the stuff Trent's been doing with Atticus Ross is spectacular.

I still wouldn't call any NIN album 'bad'

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 26
I bought the deluxe edition CD and have listened to the regular flac while at work with my HTC One > Poweramp > Monoprice 8320's. Now at home listening to the audiophile WAV version with Nexus 7 > Noozxoide EIZO-Rewire Pro > USB Audio Recorder Pro > uDAC > Sennheiser Momentum. Obviously for me, there is an audible difference.

'All Time Low' threw me a curve ball. Really enjoy 'Various Methods of Escape' and 'I Would For You'.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 26
just for schiits and giggles I did abx testing of the normal version and the audiophile master.... I got 10/10 songs right with no errors lol obviously the difference should be easily noticeable but that's the first time I ever used abx with foobar :3

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #22 of 26

My take:  I would agree that this album sounded very average, upon first listen.  "Various Methods of Escape" was the only song that really made me sit up and take notice.  There were some other songs I liked, but overall, I was unimpressed. 

I really like "With Teeth".  "Year Zero" is good musically, but the overt political theme wears me out.  "Ghosts" and "The Slip" would be the only past NIN releases I would rank as average.  I agree "The Fragile" is bloated but there is enough highlights on it to keep me happy.

Edit:  2nd listen sounded better.  I would still call this average or below average Nine Inch Nails but I like most of the songs this time around.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #23 of 26
My personal interest in the new Nine Inch Nails album is minimal, but here is mastering engineer Ian Shepherd's take on the differences between the regular and the "audiophile" masters for those who are interested.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 26
I've put these audio waveforms on the nin forum to show how much (rather how little) information has been gained in the audiophile version, I'll put them again here.
Red waveform is the audiophile version, blue is the standard version. Each track has been adjusted in amplification to have the same amount of loudness, I used ReplayGain for that.
I haven't included all tracks because some just have the same amount of sound level and I would also like to point out that track 10 Running is reversed so blue is the audiophile and red is the standard. Why? Because the audiophile version of that particular track is actually louder and more compressed than the standard one lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back