NEW Nikon DSLR in 20 Days !
Aug 5, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #31 of 84
I think the new camera is made to compete with the sony alpha a100. It's gonna be tough to beat at the price point because it has IS and 10mp, it's visual quality is not as nice as canons, high noise at high ISO, same D200 quality but at this price point and being noob friendly it should hold up fine. I don't trust sony after the accusations of the rootkit self installing from music cd's, so immagine the crap that might try to load from the a100 installation cd. As for the new nikon if it delivers at least 8mp or more it should be a hit, nikon is famous for not crippling theyr low end cameras at leas built wise. If canon takes the 350xt add IS and upgrade body and a bigger LCD they would beat everything in path, but it won't happen, cannon is not gonna loose the profits from the IS lenses, I doubt nikon will go that way too. As long as theres competition we win, even if things don't get cheaper they'll cram new features.

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #32 of 84
The Sony camera's not bad, but Sony doesn't have NEARLY the amount of glass available that Nikon and Canon do, even with the AF Minolta lenses included. There's a lot of disadvantages to in-camera vibration reduction (battery life chief among them) as well. Claiming that the D80 was designed to compete with any particular model is flat-out wrong, especially when you consider how long it takes these things to go from concept, design, testing, packaging, etc.

Aug 5, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #33 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
The Sony camera's not bad, but Sony doesn't have NEARLY the amount of glass available that Nikon and Canon do, even with the AF Minolta lenses included. There's a lot of disadvantages to in-camera vibration reduction (battery life chief among them) as well. Claiming that the D80 was designed to compete with any particular model is flat-out wrong, especially when you consider how long it takes these things to go from concept, design, testing, packaging, etc.

Depends, the a100 was announced by sony a long time ago, the beginning of the year, one example is that nikon had been working on theyr camera and they see the specs of the other camera they would think maybe it's time to ditch the 6.0mp sensor, canons main line is 8mp, sony just threw out 10mp, wouldn't they think that it's time to replace theyr aging prosumer lineup? I would love the D200 but I know that they could probably sell something similar smaller with a few less features cheaper.

Aug 5, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #34 of 84
It's not quantity, it's quality. I've made absolutely stunning 11x14 prints off of D50 pictures, and people have had good success with blowing them up to larger sizes as well. 99% of people will never NEED anything more than 6.1MP. That's not the limiting factor. If some company could design a sensor that would give noiseless ISO1600, THAT would be a useful improvement.

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
sigh... Nikons bodies are so tempting, alas Canon glass has won me over.

what really kept me from nikon is the 1.5x standard they are not capable of changing. only Canon has the power muhhahaha.
heres to hoping Canon announces a new body in august. FF sensor with 1.3x and 1.6x crop anyone?

the patient Canon user's day will come!

Uh....what? Canon is quite restricted to the 1.5x crop factor thanks to their EF-S lenses. The only way they could change would be to go to a smaller sensor with a larger crop, and technically Nikon has that path open to them too.

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009
Depends, the a100 was announced by sony a long time ago, the beginning of the year, one example is that nikon had been working on theyr camera and they see the specs of the other camera they would think maybe it's time to ditch the 6.0mp sensor, canons main line is 8mp, sony just threw out 10mp, wouldn't they think that it's time to replace theyr aging prosumer lineup? I would love the D200 but I know that they could probably sell something similar smaller with a few less features cheaper.

That's another typical stereotype with cameras, more is better right? Unless you're planning on blowing these up to poster size images, there's no way you'll ever need 10 or 12 megapixels. The "new" Sony is just a re-badged Minolta. I have yet to find a truly competitive DSLR form Sony, their recent offerings have been targeted at those people who have a lot of money to burn but not a whole lot of experience with shooting.

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
1 day to go guys !

I hear it's a D80. Who cares? My D200 arrives tomorrow.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #39 of 84
I'd go D200 too if I had money. Not sure about D2X, it's very big.

I'll probably need to wait 'til next year in order to afford the "D80" and some new lenses. In the mean time I guess I can just drool and check out what the users say about it...

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
It's not quantity, it's quality. I've made absolutely stunning 11x14 prints off of D50 pictures, and people have had good success with blowing them up to larger sizes as well. 99% of people will never NEED anything more than 6.1MP. That's not the limiting factor. If some company could design a sensor that would give noiseless ISO1600, THAT would be a useful improvement.

this past weekend, i inadvertently shot most of my pictures at ISO1600 with my d50. a serious noob mistake and the disappointing thing is that there were some pictures that i really liked. at ISO1600 there was way too much noise and loss of contrast, even in sunlight.
blink.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
this past weekend, i inadvertently shot most of my pictures at ISO1600 with my d50. a serious noob mistake and the disappointing thing is that there were some pictures that i really liked. at ISO1600 there was way too much noise and loss of contrast, even in sunlight.
blink.gif

Did you try using Noiseninja? I found it to be miraculous with my 350D, with the camera's downloaded profiles.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #42 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
blink.gif

Should've bought 1DSMarkII
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #43 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I'd go D200 too if I had money. Not sure about D2X, it's very big.

I'll probably need to wait 'til next year in order to afford the "D80" and some new lenses. In the mean time I guess I can just drool and check out what the users say about it...

I did see the D2X in person (didn't get to try out though, didn't have the time), but it didn't seem too big, and I have small hands.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Did you try using Noiseninja? I found it to be miraculous with my 350D, with the camera's downloaded profiles.

thanks for the suggestion! i'll give it a try. this time i was concentrating too much on aperture and speed to achieve better sharpness and forgot to check the iso setting.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #45 of 84
It's not really big if you just look at it, but if you factor the weight (1.2 kg or something), plus the lens, and the size of the camera with the lens, inside a bag, etc.. and you have to walk around with the gear, it will become a hassle.

But of course I am just saying this because I can never afford afford it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back