NEW Nikon DSLR in 20 Days !
Aug 9, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #76 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I wonder how does the camera know which of the 11 AF to use when doing auto focus.

There are a bunch of ways you can manually set it, actually. My D200 allows you to flip a switch and move the focus spot to any one of those areas. I think it also uses them to track moving objects when you're shooting in certain modes, predicting where the object will end up. I haven't gotten into that kind of stuff yet.

However, the easiest thing to do when you're just using auto focus is to point on the object you'd like to focus on, press the shutter (the shutter has two sensitivities) and then once it is focused (takes an instant) you keep your finger there and frame the focused object the way you'd like. The Auto Focus won't change, till you pull your finger off or until after you take the shot. Oski was showing me this method the other day, and man... it's SO useful!

Heh, forgive me if this is common knowledge on all SLRs these days! I have only used manual cameras for years before this one, and I'm totally enthralled with the possibilities.

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #77 of 84
I remember back 6 years ago or so I saw a SLR with sight controlled AF, the viewfinder shoots some kind of magic wave in your eye and when it reflects back it knows where you are staring at.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #78 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I remember back 6 years ago or so I saw a SLR with sight controlled AF, the viewfinder shoots some kind of magic wave in your eye and when it reflects back it knows where you are staring at.

That kinda freaks me out. I like the way this is set up though, my eyes are always all over the shot, checking out the various things within... if it was sight controlled, I'd get one blurry picture!
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #79 of 84
Quote:

However, the easiest thing to do when you're just using auto focus is to point on the object you'd like to focus on, press the shutter (the shutter has two sensitivities) and then once it is focused (takes an instant) you keep your finger there and frame the focused object the way you'd like. The Auto Focus won't change, till you pull your finger off or until after you take the shot. Oski was showing me this method the other day, and man... it's SO useful!

Agreed. The Camera's autofocus system is amazingly intelligent and will usually focus right no matter what, but this is traditionally the method that I (and most other AF SLR users I know) use to ensure proper focus.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #81 of 84
It will be interesting to see how the new "kit" lens perform against 18-70mmDX.

One thing I notice that it looks even cheaper than 18-70mm - or maybe it's just the picture. The build is very similar to 18-55mm. I hope it doesn't have the same manual focus as 18-55mm though.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #82 of 84
Sony a100 released and then the D80 released, canon will probably replace the 350xt pretty soon if they don't wanna get wiped out. It's an good incentive the IS in the a100 since you could probably find a nice konica minolta lens and strap it to that bad boy. benefits of the a100 is IS and 10mp, benefits of the D80 is 10mp and a better body built. I consider that the a100 would serve well with an amateur, maybe if they added a bit more bulk and fix the ISO noise It would be perfect, I felt the camera and in no means did it feel cheap like the 350xt, the grip is big enough to accomodate fingers and felt pretty good, but not nikon good, when I put my eyes agains the viewfinder it automatically focused, the lcd was good looking and the pictures looked focused and crisp, I still need to get my hands on the D80, i have used the D2000, 30D, D50.

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #83 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I really DO hope they can manage the demand this time though. Reading back through all the angry comments regarding the D200... that sucked for a LOT of people.

The interesting thing was that the D200 was pretty much always available (except for the first couple of months) at Best Buy and not the smaller camera shops. What people were not used to is just ordering a camera like this online from an electronics giant like BB. I ordered mine on a Friday and picked it up the next day.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back