New Nagra HD DAC
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #781 of 820
Another question on file data types:
If an album was converted from analog to DXD, is it generally better to buy the DXD file, or the DSD file from which the DXD was converted? The albums I'm looking at were masted on Nagra gear (2XHD label).

The Nagra DACs convert everything to DSD, correct?
Therefore, is it better to feed it DSD at the highest bit rate possible, even if the native recording is in DXD? Or is it better to feed it DXD?
Nagra convert PCM to DSD. I think all delta sigma dac have pcm to dsd conversion step before converting to analog and lowpass-filtered, Nagra just do it by its own (good) way. To my ears, Nagra's sound has many similarities with dsd’s ”house sound”, which is quite gentle/soft, natural and 3d, regardless the input is pcm or dsd. If I were you, I would still keep the dxd, because I prefer PCM which I feel more realistic, more vivid, more lifelike (in many other dac, like Chord dave, dcs bartok). But if you think nagra is your end game dac, you can stick with DSD. Just my 2 cents!

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #782 of 820
Is there anyone here trying i2s of the Nagra HD dac? The manual says it’s reserved for future product. Now Denafrips Gaia is giving i2s over Rj45, I’m not sure if they are compatible.
68F214F0-B5C1-4F2A-851B-254CFDA396F7.jpeg

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #783 of 820
On my side, I really hope NAGRA will launch some NAGRA sources ( like a music server :wink: ? ) using their " Nagra link " that is already implemented on the TUBE Dac.

30-1441x811.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #784 of 820
Question for those using a Classic PSU with their HD/Tube DAC.

Do you leave your Classic PSU running 24/7 and only turn off the dac when not in use? Or do you turn off both the DAC and PSU at the same time?

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #785 of 820
I would shut down the Classic PSU when not in use. The super caps don’t need a warm up time. All caps have a lifespan, and I don’t imagine they will be cheap to replace.
However, I’m curious if the two chassis DAC X or the preamp keeps the PSU on all the time?

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #786 of 820
Thanks, that is what I have been doing. But I know other power supplies I have used - eg Naim Supercap - benefit significantly from being left on all the time, so was curious what others do.

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #787 of 820
Previously, Nagra Classic PSU would be left ON all the time, whilst Tube DAC switched to horizontal stand-by when not used...Now tried 2 weekends with Classic PSU also OFF ( horizontal position ), and within 1-2 hrs there is no difference in SQ. So I will also switch OFF Classic PSU when not in use.

Happy listening, Cheers M2m

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #788 of 820
I would shut down the Classic PSU when not in use. The super caps don’t need a warm up time. All caps have a lifespan, and I don’t imagine they will be cheap to replace.
However, I’m curious if the two chassis DAC X or the preamp keeps the PSU on all the time?
I don’t think so. When I turn on my hdx dac, I get this “charging super caps” message on the display. It seems to me that, should the PS be on all time, such a power on stage would not be necesssary.

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #789 of 820
I don’t think so. When I turn on my hdx dac, I get this “charging super caps” message on the display. It seems to me that, should the PS be on all time, such a power on stage would not be necesssary.
Right, charging the caps is not the same as a warm-up time. I think you just confirmed that for the DAC X the power supply is not kept on all the time, or the charging message would not appear.

Nov 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #791 of 820
A45CD5AC-DF02-424C-BF37-74649D6F2347.jpeg

Do anyone know what is the correct way to connect those total 5 pairs of jumper

Or anyone have the manual of it ?
I don’t know why Nagra have no manual of it

Thanks all
I wouldn’t touch those, that’s why they’re not in the manual. I don’t have the HD DAC but perhaps someone else here can take a photo of how there’s is setup.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #792 of 820
For a second location, I will need to drasticaly reduce the complexity of my equipment, so... If I decide to directly use the Headphone-out of the NAGRA Tube Dac, which Headphone does pair very well with NAGRA's headphone output? (I do not expect the level of my BHSE + Stax SR009s, but .... I hope to be close :wink: )

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #793 of 820
For a second location, I will need to drasticaly reduce the complexity of my equipment, so... If I decide to directly use the Headphone-out of the NAGRA Tube Dac, which Headphone does pair very well with NAGRA's headphone output? (I do not expect the level of my BHSE + Stax SR009s, but .... I hope to be close :wink: )
I use the Tube DAC with Focal Stellia and a DoubleHelix Prion4 and ZMF Verite Closed and their silver cable. Both sound great!
I also have a BHSE + Stax SR009, although I haven't listened to it in years :triportsad:, so I can't compare properly.
But I think the Nagra blows away the BHSE - I've not heard a more musical or engaging digital sound than through the Nagra.
Enjoy!

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #794 of 820
I use the Tube DAC with Focal Stellia and a DoubleHelix Prion4 and ZMF Verite Closed and their silver cable. Both sound great!
I also have a BHSE + Stax SR009, although I haven't listened to it in years :triportsad:, so I can't compare properly.
But I think the Nagra blows away the BHSE - I've not heard a more musical or engaging digital sound than through the Nagra.
Enjoy!
Thank you for your feedback.

I am surprised you think that The NAGRA can surpass the BHSE...it's very promissing ! :). But, do you prefer Stellia or ZMF with the NAGRA ?

BTW, can you share with us the improvements the DoubleHelix Prion4 bring to the Stellia V/S the stock cable ?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #795 of 820
Thank you for your feedback.

I am surprised you think that The NAGRA can surpass the BHSE...it's very promissing ! :). But, do you prefer Stellia or ZMF with the NAGRA ?

BTW, can you share with us the improvements the DoubleHelix Prion4 bring to the Stellia V/S the stock cable ?
Do I prefer the Stellia or the ZMF VC? They are different, and both excellent!
As mentioned by others in this forum, the Stellia have a bit better detail - violins and vocals for example sound a little more natural.
The VC have a wider soundstage, more low end, and are generally more “fun” and less “clinical” sounding.
If I could choose only 1, I would go with the ZMF VC - they are more beautiful (although the Stellia are close), and that’s a matter of personal opinon.
You can’t go wrong with either.

The stock Stellia cable is not great - replace it as soon as you can. I didn’t do any A-B comparisons once I got the Prion4, as it’s not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back