New Mytek 192 Dac!
Oct 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

fradoca

100+ Head-Fier
from another forum :

MYTEK DIGITAL ANNOUNCES NEW HI-END USB/FIREWIRE DAC

Mytek Digital of New York City, manufacturer of high end mastering audio converters announced at AES Convention in New York, in October 2009, a brand new Stereo 192 DAC, top performance 192k PCM and DSD Digital to Analog Converter. The new DAC features USB and Firewire, as well as standard AES, SPDIF and Toslink inputs, capable of handling stereo PCM playback of up to 24 bit 192k as well as playback of DSD files with absolute state of the art accuracy and transparency.

Numerous features include: high end headphone amplifier, precision volume control with memory (separate for phones and main output), selectable upsampling to 192k and optional remote control.

The DAC will be available in Q1 2010, in both industrial and hi-fi 1/3 rack highly portable enclosure, at Mytek dealers worldwide. It's priced at $1595 for industrial version and $1695 for black or silver Hi-Fi version with RCA outputs.

here are a couple of pictures:

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 66
Too bad it is out of my budget. Looks nice. I love the plain, industrial design.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if there is any place that sells this to Australia? Looks like an interesting piece of kit.

I would imagine here, eventually.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 66
oh oh, a new competitor to the lavry DA11 and Benchmark DAC1 USB. Looks very nice indeed.

Except this one adds Firewire and DSD. However, where do you get DSD digitally from? And is there any recent transport available using Firewire connection ?

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh oh, a new competitor to the lavry DA11 and Benchmark DAC1 USB. Looks very nice indeed.

Except this one adds Firewire and DSD. However, where do you get DSD digitally from? And is there any recent transport available using Firewire connection ?

I am seriously doubting the usability of this DSD feature. Most DSD SACD players are now bit-streaming using HDMI, no?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously doubting the usability of this DSD feature. Most DSD SACD players are now bit-streaming using HDMI, no?

That what exactly my thinking. You could maybe handle DSD through Firewire with some SONY Vaio, but it is in any case a very limited use, and practically no DSD recording available.

An HDMI input would certainly have been more innovative. I also can't understand the presence of both USB and Firewire ports. Why not choose one and optimize it's design.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously doubting the usability of this DSD feature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That what exactly my thinking.

x3.

Are they still using AKM chips? I'm assuming the ad copy refers to the AK4396's DSD capability. Unless they've gone over to Wolfson? Whatever the chip, it is of little/no practical use.

Either way, I'd like to hear a Mytek.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 66
they make very very high quality converters and they've got a superb reputation in the pro audio world for making more or less the best bang for buck converters out there. go onto their website and have a listen to some audio files. they have a comparison of their converters recordings of the same material to other much more expensive (PER CHANNEL) converters such as Lavry Gold, Weiss, Prism etc....

they are obviously competing with Lavry DA10, DA11 and Benchmark with this new product. Knowing what i know they will be better in terms of adding the least amount of color to the conversion. it's all very very subjective at this point but it looks like a very nice DAC......DSD? i don't know but im sure they had a very good reason. a simple email to them would address the issue.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 66
directly from the Mytek website:

Direct Stream Digital Information Page

DSD is a new hi-speed 1 bit digital audio format developed by Sony/Philips for Super Audio CD disc.

Mytek supports DSD. After countless listening tests and having built DSD equipment we now believe that DSD is the digital format which provides sound quality which is subjectively closest to the traditional analog recordings.

DSD is meant for users seeking sonic perfection. The new Mytek 8X192 features an optional DSD firmware with built in native 64x and 128x DSD.

This page will be updated with information relevant to DSD. Please visit again soon.

very simply they believe that currently this is as good as it gets regardinig digital recording and reprodution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back