NEW! Musical Fidelity M1 DAC "A" for Asynchronous USB Input, Unboxing Video
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #31 of 37
I use a Mac.  Sorry.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #32 of 37
nice to see m1dac in a video rather than just looking at its pictures. Wish it was the silver one that I'm gonna buy soon.
How much did you pay for it? Best price that i've found is from http://www.bartlettshifi.co
have you tested xlr outputs vs rca? Would you say a usb converter like "hiFace" still be an improvement upon it's integrated asynchronous usb input?

savas

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #36 of 37
How does this unit act if connected to PC via SPDIF?  I see on the back of my motherboard (pretty much a high end model from Gigabyte) that it has a SPDIF output.  Would it would properly if I were to connect  M1 to that?  Do you think the SPDIF output on the motherboard is of high enough quality?

May 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:
How does this unit act if connected to PC via SPDIF?  I see on the back of my motherboard (pretty much a high end model from Gigabyte) that it has a SPDIF output.  Would it would properly if I were to connect  M1 to that?  Do you think the SPDIF output on the motherboard is of high enough quality?

I tried USB and got signal drop-off. Then I tried TOS (optical SPDIF) on motherboard, which is definitely an improvement over USB. Quieter background, more details. Then I tried Asus Essence soundcard, using SPDIF. This is the best with even quieter background and tons of details (this also depends on digital cable).
My computer is Dell 435MT.

The following tweaks also improve the sound quality. Use quality PSU (Corsair Enthusiast), plug PC to line that is not shared with any other devices, move the digital files to external drives (when listening to music, no internal hard disk drives are active).

--Cuong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back