New music is generally getting worse (link)
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't play any musical instruments, wish I did. I guess many have not heard of Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Horowitz, Liszt, Bach, Pachelbel, Ravel, and many others. Just listen to Liszt's Sonata In B Minor played by Horowitz or Autumn Leaves played by The Bill Evans Trio.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't play any musical instruments, wish I did. I guess many have not heard of Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Horowitz, Liszt, Bach, Pachelbel, Ravel, and many others. Just listen to Liszt's Sonata In B Minor played by Horowitz or Autumn Leaves played by The Bill Evans Trio.

True. Those knew music. Having only two people write the music for many current stars does not give any room for diversity. People probably do not know Herbie Hancock either.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 7
This is what happens when the music business is mainly ran and coordinated by a select few, people become accustomed to the new norm they're being presented on every front.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Who buys pop music? There are tones of progressive genres advancing unique stylings and creativity

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 7
The music space is quite large, lots of musicians (various types, and there will be more and more genres created as time goes on). The more apparent ones are on the billboards, Shazam, charts, and for a lot of them to suit your taste, you'd have to dig around as mainstream music taste changes as audience changes. It doesn't mean people can't read music now a days (you have symphony, orchestra, guitarist prodigies popping up all the time, random Youtube talents, etc..), it just expresses what the mainstream at the time focuses on.

You got Youtube, and social media that has effect on what people frequently hear. Back then, it was the radio. I think people have a larger space to explore, but the lazy will get fed mainstream music.

Can we say an era's music is better over another? Music does get molded by the times (with the way media is consumed), and what gets highly marketed is decided by big companies, and what gets popularized is by audience reactions.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I agree with this article, which is a good read for hi-fi enthusiasts.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/tragic-decline-music-literacy-and-quality
Fascinating article. I would add that video games take up a huge amount of time that children and teens might otherwise be partially spending on music lessons. There are only so many hours in a day and kids spend a helluva lot of time playing video games. Something is bound to be squeezed out--it is inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back