New music - great voices with awesome orchestras
Oct 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

C0rnholio

Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good voices, preferably females ( but not only ) that can make your head bang a bit, great rhythms and great orchestras - jazz, blues, soul influences would be great. Music that is suitable for the car on a high volume :) 2 names that come in mind as examples right now : Katie Melua on MOST of the songs from the first 3 albums ( Shy Boy, My Aphrodisiac is You and Ghost Town sure sound very nice ) and also Florence Rawlings - another Dramatico "product" - in my opinion her voice is SENSATIONAL and the band is not bad either, don't even know what genre this is - probably "soulish" - this is the stuff I am looking for. I know Melua is somehow commercial material but her music sounds VERY GOOD but necessary because of her own voice but her band is a great background support with their jazzy add-ons ... I don't know how much sense :) Any ideas ?

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 13
Diana Krall has some pretty good stuff.  The Live in Paris album is excellent.  I'm also a big fan of Jane Monheit.  Her Surrender album is very good and has some orchestration on it. 

If you're into it, the Original Canadian Cast of Phantom of The Opera has a highlights album that is fantastic.  POTO is one of the few musicals I can stand and the OCC was the best by far, IMO.  Rebecca Caine and Colm Wilkinson were just stupid good.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah Diana Krall is awesome - the quality is very good however, technically speaking I can hear a background hiss/noise on pretty much all of her recordings regardless of what FLACs I try. Although the recording is GREAT, that hiss spoils it a bit :)
I think the best quality song I got lately is Mighty Sam McClain  Mighty's Prayer - in Flac ( "only" 16/44 ) - very clean, great voice, great instrumental presence also virtually noise free.
I know I may be a bit picky, but when someone ( not me !! :) ) invests a fortune on hi-end audio equipment ( or headphones/amp for that matter ) - expectations should be high and SHOULD be met by some "high standard pretentious recording studious". I think the biggest problem is maintaining that background noise to a bare minimum.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
You mean Michael Buble ? :) His recordings are top notch - most of them and the music is good nevertheless. I like him too ( hoping we're talking about the same guy haha )

Yes!! I used to not like him but I found out later that it's because of the heavily compressed mp3 (less than 100kbps). 
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 13
What's even more interesting is that his live performances are also TOP NOTCH :) not to mention his band is petty much awesome. Although he's a commercial figure I can admit out loud that I like his music :D
Since we're on the commercial area, Katie Melua doesn't sound bad either although I find her recordings not to excel in technical quality.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 13
I'll 3rd Diana Krall and her recordings are far better than most. Also give a listen to;

Jamiee Paul - At Last
Lisa Ono - Look to the Rainbow
Malene Mortensen - Date With a Dream
Jacqi Naylor - Shelter
Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill
Nora Jones - Come Away With Me
Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective
John Pizzarelli - One Night With You

Clips are available on YouTube and Amazon. Happy listening

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Granted, it's not "new", but if you haven't yet heard it, you would do well to check out Sinead O'Connor's 'Am I Not Your Girl?'

Unlike her other works, this album is not pop. This particular album is full of lush orchestration and is very well recorded. It was co-produced by Phil Ramone.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Granted, it's not "new", but if you haven't yet heard it, you would do well to check out Sinead O'Connor's 'Am I Not Your Girl?'

Unlike her other works, this album is not pop. This particular album is full of lush orchestration and is very well recorded. It was co-produced by Phil Ramone.

damn, very good album !! Exactly what I am into lately, throw some Jazzy sparkles to that awesome voice and you got something truly special :wink:

Keep it coming ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back