New mp3 player...
Sep 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ElephantTLK

100+ Head-Fier
My sister is buying new mp3 player. But she don´t know what to buy. In first place is simple UI, battery life, design and sq. She likes iPod Nano 3g (design). But she never have one. How much space? Around 8GB is enough. So i picked a few players for her but we still need some help.
Here is the list:

Apple iPod Nano 3G 8GB, 170€
Sansa Fuze 8GB , around 80€ (?)
Sony A828 8GB, 153€
Creative Zen X-Fi 8GB, 120€
iriver E100 8GB, around 110€

So if i look to prices the Nano looks a bit overpriced player. But is it worth that price? On the other hand the Fuze is very very cheap...
What about build quality of Fuze? What about other players? Please remember that she wants:

1. simple UI
2. good battery life
3. good quality build
4. sq is not so important but must be still good

is Fuze good choice? Or is Nano still better? What about Sony? Maybe Zen?

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 20
Probably the Sony would work best
smily_headphones1.gif
It does everything you want and the SQ is phenomenal.

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 20
the new nano is supposed to be released tomorrow by apple. Wait for a week to see the new features and lower prices of the nano.
Don't rule out apple yet.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 20
Of those listed, the nano probably has the best interface (subjective)

For SQ, go with either the Fuze (flat - accurate) or Sony (colored, nice low end), depending on her preferred sound signature.

Which headphones will she be using? What kind of music does she prefer?

If you're thinking of going the Apple route, wait until after tomorrow when the new iPods are announced before buying anything (current gen will be on sale, new version may have something she wants, etc)

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 20
yeah the sandisk sound is really flat, sony is warm and electronic, the ipod is flat an electronic, with a little less noise coming out of the dock out.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 20
how about is samsung's YP-S3?
it's a new one.
*Technical Details is....
- 2, 4 GB Internal Flash Memory
- Touch-Sensitive LED Controls
- MP3, WMA, Ogg & MPEG-4 Support
- DNSe sound engine
- FM tuner/recorder with presets

it has five colours.(white, pink, green, blue, black). recommend pink one to her. pink is so lovely!! :)
its runnung time is 25 hours,, and very very chip!!
2GB is 41.66 pounds,
4GB is 49.78 pounds.
if she looks YP-S3 pink colour, she choices it.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 20
What do you mean when you say the sound is electronic Mr_Junesequa?

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 20
As others have mentioned, remember the iPod news that is supposed to be happening tuesday, Sept 9th.

Note that one of the rumors that has come up from several sources (meaning that it might have a little more credibility) is that Apple will be dropping the price of some/all iPods in order to make it more in line with the iPhone, which received a large price drop recently.

Ruahrc

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 20
nthing Sony A720. Don't spend the extra on the A820 unless she needs Bluetooth.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nthing Sony A720. Don't spend the extra on the A820 unless she needs Bluetooth.

Agreed, bluetooth is a nice convenience feature at the expense of audio quality. Just google "A2DP audio quality" for details.

Personally, I think it defeats the point of spending extra for a player with premium sound.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 20
Thanks guys. Well we will wait for new iPods. But as i said she is not so "demanding" on this. She wants just a well build and good, easy UI with good SQ. But SQ is not in 1st place. She will use Sennheiser PX100 headphones. Creative is not good? She said that no Samsung. What about Sony interface? Is it easy to navigate? Because she have SE K770i phone and she is happy with it. And last thing. Is Sansa Fuze really well build player? From what i understand its all plastic? How is build quality? I am now more on Sony or Sansa side. Ipod is for now overpriced.
Thanks

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 20
Best overall is the Sony player - great build, nice, simple UI, excellent battery life, FANTASTIC SQ. It's really worth the few extra bucks. Also, go with the A728 as the blue tooth is a waste. I only have the A829 because I got ot cheaper than the A729. Got a hookup!!!

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 20
Ok thanks for help. Now i see that iPod Nano (4g, 8GB) is the same price as Sony A828 (8GB). So its a little hard to choose. New Nano looks great and easy to use. Well battery life is not so good as on Sony. And i dont know nothing about SQ. How do you control volume on Nano? So what to buy? New Nano or is Sony A828 better choice? Can you sync/use Sony with Media Player 11? This is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back