New mp3 player...
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #16 of 20
New nano is a decent choice - though I'd get the Sony as the SQ is really all that and a bag of chips. See if you can test them both and then make a final decision. That's how I'd do it.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks for help. Now i see that iPod Nano (4g, 8GB) is the same price as Sony A828 (8GB). So its a little hard to choose. New Nano looks great and easy to use. Well battery life is not so good as on Sony. And i dont know nothing about SQ. How do you control volume on Nano? So what to buy? New Nano or is Sony A828 better choice? Can you sync/use Sony with Media Player 11? This is important.

You can sync and use the Sony with Media Player 11. Or you can simply drag and drop. (Little known fact: you can also change it from an MTS device to UMS if you really want to as well).

The Sony will have better sound quality especially since it includes a customizable EQ and the nano doesn't. Bass response on iPods have always been lacking.

The Nano will have TONS more accessories though. And the metal casing is nice. You can also get FM radio if you get the remote. Might be important for gym usage.

I find the Sony interface easier to use than my iPod's. Simply because I can go to "now playing" anytime in any menu. You can also browse by folder view, which I find immensely useful.

If you listen to audio books at all, this may be important. If not just skip this part. iPods allow you to bookmark where you left off and actually breaks the audio track down by chapters if you have it in m4b format. This is immensely useful for tracks that can be 2 hours long. There is no such option on the Sony, so you'd have to manually seek to where you left off. That is if you remember which track you were on.

The iPod can do 1 on-the-go playlist as well. With Sony, you're limited to whatever playlists you transferred/created from your computer.

That's all the differences I can think of for now. I'm probably not making your decision any easier, but it is a difficult one depending on what you're going to be using it for. If sound quality wasn't my top priority, I would probably get the Nano for all the accessories that will be readily available.

(I did my comparison based on my 80gb 5.5gen ipod and a sony a829. I also referenced early reviews of the new nano to make sure I knew all the new features.)

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 20
I would definitely go with the sony for the SQ and features. Sonicstage is annoying for me personally, but now you can syc with wmp and it really doesn;t matter to me as it doesn;t affect the function of the actual player.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #20 of 20
Now, if Sony could drop the prices to compete w/the 16gb Nano,............. we got's a DEAL!!! Wait a week or 2 & see if the prices start to drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back