New Mp3 Player. Fresh Start. (Newbie #4667...)
Nov 30, 2007 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ImSyko

Head-Fier
Hey all...

I'm New, obviously looking for suggestions.

I just bought the Sony NWZ-A818, and want to get some headphones to make everything as close to perfect as possible.

I am coming from a Cowon D2. I can't really say I am an audiophile. I have had Shure E2c, Vibes (unimpressed), Mylarone X3's, Sony MDR-EX85, and some cheap Phillips in btween headphones. I liked the Mylarone X3's the best.

As you can see I am mostly an IE guy. I am open to other types as well. My requirements are that they are:
Durable (shure-ish), not extremely tough, but not flimsy (like the way the mylars felt).
Portable, please no huge cans suggestions. I am a lil' guy.
Clarity, I am all over the place. I listen to 'Bluesy' R&B mostly, Rap, Rock. I'm a Prince fan. Clear highs and live instruments are preferred. No Metal/Punk. Not a crazy bass lover, but i do need a significant 'kick'.

I don't know what info i am missin. Ask questions. I just want to be blown away with precision and clarity. I want to look like this (
eek.gif
) when i put it all together. Based on this, just throw out suggestions. The only one I am considering are the Er4's

Thanx.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 14
if you've only done in-ear, you should really grab a pair of KSC-75, 35, PortaPro, or PX100 to branch out a bit, maybe in addition to whatever higher-end in-ears you're about to buy.

Within in-ears, I'd doubt the er-4 is really for you. Why not some better Shures, Jays, or maybe those denons or some Atrios. In all cases once you're moving up the spectrum like this, another question becomes key: are you thinking of getting a portable amp?

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 14
I have the same DAP but A808 and using TripleFi and SE530 all I can say is superb even if unamp-ed. I just cant imagine how it will sounds when my Tomahawk arrives.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Thx for the replies

@HA: Denons, Hmm...

@face: I am gonna try to branch out. Lookin' @ the price of the PX100s, are they really that great? Or are they just a 'test' and possibly a replacement for my 'in between' headphones.

Another Denon mention, I was kinda considering the q-jays before the er4. As for the portable amp, I don't know too much about them. I would probably consider getting one after a lil time, but not right now.

@basman: SE530 are out of my price range (sub $300). Triplefi's will b taken in consideration

@DKaz, the thing with the Mylars i they're not really durable to me. Maybe it's just mine. Also, I've had two pairs. On the first, one earphone bcame significantly lower in volume than the other. I had to pan the sound out and it sounded bad after that. Yes, I sent them back and recieved a free replacement, but the same thing happened. I would have sent them back, but it's a little tedious to me.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 14
I can vouch for the Denons. They are amazing and very well built. They'd double as some pretty nasty weapons if you twirled them fast enough and smacked someone with them! And you'd damage the cable looong before the housing would suffer.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 14
If you aren't against earbuds I would take a look at the Yuins unless of course you need isolation and then they would not be good for you at all.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Can you compare D2 and A-818?

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 14
From what I've read, the A818 comes with really good Sony earbuds (MDR-EX082). I orderd a 818 also, but it hasn't arrived yet either. I've never been a fan of sony speakers or phones though.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImSyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@facel: I am gonna try to branch out. Lookin' @ the price of the PX100s, are they really that great? Or are they just a 'test' and possibly a replacement for my 'in between' headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImSyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could I forget? Isolation is a must. I live in NYC, which means trains, cars, and loud people. Not to mention, I work wth dogs. Dogs who bark. Loudly.

Well, obviously the open portables I mentioned wouldn't cut it in terms of isolation, but the reason I suggested them is that they are a cheap and portable way to tap into what full-sized headphones can do, which is very different from what any of these in-ear options do. You can see posts all the time where people say they like their KSC-75 better than their midrange IEMs. It's a difference you should hear and judge for yourself. And yes, an of the ones I mentioned should crush your cheapo philips, unless you happen to have one of the two or three good philips models, which is unlikely.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Okay, bought the PX-100. They're great. My only problem is the bleed through. It's is too much. I can hear every song without the headphones on.
I do love the cans though. Now, I actually want both cans and iems.

I have ie suggestions, more are welcomed. Please suggest some higher-end closed/sealed cans (not huge though) as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back