New Mini3 for $60?
Apr 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

az2123

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 14
I built my own mini3 and for 60 bucks that's kind of giving it away for free, I built the high performance amp as you can switch the op-amps, either burr-brown or Texas instruments (extended run-time) version
L3000.gif
it's a sweet little amp with no distortion whatsoever I get more bass output on my Grado sr80's through this amp and my Ue super.fi 5 pro's sound livelier and detailed.

Edit: after some more inspection the ebay lists this amp using 2 rechargeable AA batteries when its a 9V 500mah battery thats needed. Seems fishy as the parts alone are worth more than 60 bucks. This is an AMBaudio amp. http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 14
I wouldn't buy it either. If it was clear from the feedback that people had bought and were satisfied that would be one thing. On the other hand.... You could take the hit for the team and find out if it is legit
biggrin.gif
Consider it a public service in the name of Head-Fi!

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 14
Hmm that is odd, a Mini3 is a bit more expensive to build that that. He might have just used a really cheap enclosure or something.. Most the price of it is in the enclosure.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 14
Nope, that's the Hammond 1455C80x (can't tell whether it has plastic or metal end-panels).

Some strange wording about charger:

"9 Volt rechargeable battery included with charger"
"Prices: US and Canada: $ 58 (without charger) + shpping"

Besides the spelling mistake
tongue.gif
, the wording is confusing. I asked the eBay seller how the parts work out to this price.

Perhaps the person is simply a DIYer who has an extra amp and is selling below cost, should always give people a chance before jumping on them.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 14
Well if you look at the guy's feedback. His 5 most recent transactions are all TI calculators. Each of which he claims to be "only used for one class". A bit dodgy...

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Interesting! If that guy use the parts with quality same as the ones ordered from digikey/mouse, not sure how much he can profit from the sales.... Maybe his daily job hourly rate is less than 1 USD....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back