New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Nov 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,801 of 1,948
Hey guys, quick question about the tube bias.

When I turn the amp on the bias is ~14.5 V. It takes about an hour to get down within good levels. This is normal right? Nothing for me to be concerned about?

Also, this amp sounds absolutely awesome with my dt880s, and my new hd650s are coming today and I cant wait to hear them. Thanks tomb, for helping me out.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #1,804 of 1,948
Great to hear, Bob!  As Beefy confirmed, it takes about an hour or so before the bias quits dropping.  What you describe is perfectly normal.  Those 12AE6's make a good pairing with Sennheisers.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,806 of 1,948
Sorry if I'm reviving an older thread, but I just finished my Minimax (connected to a grubDAC)--sounds amazing!
I had some problems drilling out the tube sockets but tomb helped me out (I ordered his kit).
I had a fun time building this amp; thanks for a great kit and amp. Here are some pics:

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,807 of 1,948

Quote:
Sorry if I'm reviving an older thread, but I just finished my Minimax (connected to a grubDAC)--sounds amazing!
I had some problems drilling out the tube sockets but tomb helped me out (I ordered his kit).
I had a fun time building this amp; thanks for a great kit and amp. Here are some pics:

Nice work, Nate!  Those are great pics with the tube lighting, too!

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,809 of 1,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice work, Nate!  Those are great pics with the tube lighting, too!

Thanks! Yea I snapped some good pics, beautiful amp and case.

Quote:
Never feel you need to apologize for resurrecting a build thread with a new build.It is always a great day when a new amp comes to life! Congrats!

Indeed, thanks!

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,810 of 1,948
Getting a weird DB bias with my latest build - can't set DB bias on one channel lower than 135mV, while the other one I can set normally to 80mV.  I think the soldering job is fine, but I didn't match the transistors very well.

Perhaps the PN4392 is burned, otherwise, the 2K trimpot inline with 100R is still too high...  Maybe the CSS transistors are poorly matched, but I wasn't expecting it to have such crazy results...

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #1,811 of 1,948

Quote:
Getting a weird DB bias with my latest build - can't set DB bias on one channel lower than 135mV, while the other one I can set normally to 80mV.  I think the soldering job is fine, but I didn't match the transistors very well.

Perhaps the PN4392 is burned, otherwise, the 2K trimpot inline with 100R is still too high...  Maybe the CSS transistors are poorly matched, but I wasn't expecting it to have such crazy results...

You're correct.  Miss-matched transistors are not going to prevent you from turning down the bias below 135mV and the CCS transistors are not going to have an effect on this (unless they're 5088's or something really weird).  I suspect something else is going on - bad trimmer, bad PN4392 as you suggest (although that implies zero bias), or maybe you misplaced a resistor.  It should be easy to compare with the good channel, just be very methodical.  It's almost like proof-reading our own essay paper: it's really hard to see our own mistakes (assuming that's it, that is).  Let us know what you find.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,812 of 1,948
BTW, I was planning on making a bigger announcement (with some SASE freebies from Beezar), but I've started supplying 1.15K and 11.5K resistors for the CCS (RA8 and RA9 - L/R).  It brings the CCS current down to 0.565ma and cuts the distortion in half.  IMHO, the difference is easily noticed in the listening.  I never thought that little bit of change (the original MiniMAX was 0.650ma) would make that much of a difference.  However, after working with Dsavitsk's Torpedo prototype over the last year, he's taught me that small changes in the CCS can have a big effect.  I've tested with RMAA extensively, before and after - with old CCS and new CCS currents, and the 1.15K/11.5K resistors make a real difference.\

EDIT: Dang, I thought I clicked to edit the post above.  Oh, well ...

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,813 of 1,948
Oops!  I knew I shouldn't have posted that from memory!  The distortion on the MiniMAX is improved by about 1/3 (still audible, IMHO).  The MOSFET-MAX's distortion is the one that's cut in half.  Regardless, major improvements either way with either amp.  Of course, the optimum loads still apply - MiniMAX is best for all-around and high impedance and the MOSFET-MAX does best with low impedance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,814 of 1,948

Quote:
Oops!  I knew I shouldn't have posted that from memory!  The distortion on the MiniMAX is improved by about 1/3 (still audible, IMHO).  The MOSFET-MAX's distortion is the one that's cut in half.  Regardless, major improvements either way with either amp.  Of course, the optimum loads still apply - MiniMAX is best for all-around and high impedance and the MOSFET-MAX does best with low impedance.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still a noob at this, so I just want to make sure I'm ordering the correct resistors.

1.15 KOhms
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RN55D1151FB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-RN55D1151F

11.5 KOhms
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RN55D1152FB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-RN55D1152F

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,815 of 1,948

Quote:

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still a noob at this, so I just want to make sure I'm ordering the correct resistors.

1.15 KOhms
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RN55D1151FB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-RN55D1151F

11.5 KOhms
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RN55D1152FB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-RN55D1152F

Yes - those are absolutely correct.  BTW, if you send Beezar an SASE - I'll send them to you for no extra charge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back