New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
May 20, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #1,562 of 1,948
I ordered a 48mm solid aluminum knob off of them, which is the biggest they have from what I saw. It's a nice size. Anything smaller just feels weird to me.

As for the MiniMAX, 48mm might be too big, so check and see how tall the panels are...

May 20, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #1,563 of 1,948
Be careful about Partspipe's knobs - I've ordered dozens over the last couple of years and their quality control is getting bad lately. I've had several that I had to re-tap because they weren't properly de-burred at the set-screw hole's interior opening.  Since that's right at the point of the shaft, it made the set screw useless until the threads were cleaned out and re-formed.

In addition, I've received about a half-dozen that had two set screws installed, about 90 degrees apart.  That pretty much means there's no position of the knob where a set screw is not plainly visible (IOW - ugly).  I don't know yet if they did that because they messed up and over-sized the shaft hole or whether one set screw position is stripped, or what.  I haven't tried to return any yet and I'm not sure how to go about that with the distances and language issues involved.  So word to the wise - inspect what you receive carefully.

P.S. The standard MAX knobs are 30mm.  That's used on the MIniMAX most often, too, but the Mini can easily use 24-25mm diameter with no issues.  Partspipe also has some very nice 24mm knobs, one of which is shown in my avatar (assuming their quality control is OK).  It might be a tad too long to be perfect on the production MiniMAX case, but it's not bad at all.  Note that a 48mm dia knob just might exceed the total height of the front panel from top to bottom.
wink.gif
  That's quite a bit too big.   

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,564 of 1,948
Still lovin the MiniMax!  

Right now been using the FK6's.  They feel like the best combination. 
dt880smile.png

Love the AE6 on first impression, but the bass distorted on high volumes. 
frown.gif

Neways, just wanted to say thanks again for all the help.  Love current fig.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #1,566 of 1,948

pre-wired pcb

Count one MiniMAX living in the Philippines 
smile_phones.gif
I'm not aware though if there are any other MAX family owners here.

This is my first ever DIY build. I've had about three electronics classes back in high school and practiced soldering for a week before building this kit. That said, PCB assembly took me about eight hours, wiring, assembly, and biasing another two. Thankfully every part checked out, it's all good. Kiwame 10R used.

They make the HF2s sing really well, and I've settled with the 12FK6 tubes.

Sorry if this is a late upload tomb. The package arrived all in perfect condition. Parts were carefully bagged and properly labeled. The documentation included in the kit and all the online information was more than enough to guide me through the entire process of building this wonderful work of art. Kudos to tomb and cetoole, and to everyone involved in the MiniMAX project!

For everyone's reference, I originally had the wallwart removed from the BOM, because the mains here is 220V 60Hz, and thought of just finding a 220V-24VAC transformer locally. However my initial search was futile, and eventually I got the BOM wallwart from Mouser separately, to be used with a converter instead. I got a 220-110 60W one. The MiniMAX came to life, I was able to bias the db's and tubes properly, however I could not get the VREG to get up to 27VDC at all.

With tomb's help we were able to discover using multimeters, pictures, and the power of deduction that the suspect may be the converter. Without load, the wallwart (remember, it's connected to a 220-110 transformer) outputs a healthy 24~25VAC, but when measuring from the terminal block with the MiniMAX switched on, it drops to 22VAC. Measuring from Gnd and V+, it's 22VDC, and goes no higher. I tried using a larger transformer, a hundred-watt one, but it merely makes the VREG put out 24VDC, max. As such the tubes have been adjusted to receive only 12VDC each for now.

I don't particularly like the look underneath my table (think two wallwarts, one straddling the other), so I will redouble my efforts to find a 220V-24VAC transformer, like phangtonpower did here. It's most likely going to be the exposed type, so I will also have to look for a nice case and appropriate plugs.

cheers

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,567 of 1,948
Been thinking about upgrading to high end phones like AKG K701 or K1000 and the DT 880 600 ohms or a BD Tesla

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #1,568 of 1,948

Quote:
The LED should fall right out of the center hole. Poke it through from the other side while making a solder blob big enough to cover both leads. It should fall right out. Clean the holes in the PCB and drop another right in. Yeah, it's not as easy as it sounds, but it's not as hard as some are suggesting.
wink.gif
I've replaced them/changed colors all the time. The only real trick is getting the solder out of those little PCB holes. With practice, flux, and de-soldering braid, it can be done, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually pulled the LEDs out of mine as I'm going to try some diffused orange ones. I heated both leads at the same time while pulling from the other side with a pair of slim needle nose pliers. It took a little bit of effort but I got it :wink:

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #1,569 of 1,948
What tomb says is quite true...  it's definitely easier than it sounds to replace the tube LEDs. 

Personally, I like the 'color change' LEDs that are on the beezar site.  But, I'll admit they might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #1,571 of 1,948

Quote:
Been thinking about upgrading to high end phones like AKG K701 or K1000 and the DT 880 600 ohms or a BD Tesla

Can the Minimax handle these kinda cans?

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #1,572 of 1,948
Good question. It can certainly handle the 701

As for the k1000 or 600ohm 880, that is another question. Certainly the 880 would benefit from the high gain of a 12AE6 and the tube bias set to allow maximum voltage swing (13.5). It might struggle at high volumes, but, I do not know of anyone with a pair.

Perhaps someone who owns a pair can chime in.

jk

EDIT: OOPS, looks like the T1 is also 600 ohm. That might be a tough load at volume.

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,574 of 1,948
I am getting more and more interested in swapping the present dt 990 250s for dt 990 600s.  Does anyone have experience on how well this amp can power 600 ohms?

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #1,575 of 1,948
So I got my MiniMax all put together and was starting to do the biasing.  I did everything that was mentiond in the directions. when I tried to adjust the left db bias and the left tube, nothing happened.   Did I blow my transistors?  I'm not really sure what could be wrong.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back