New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Dec 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #1,292 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_SOURCE41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello
This is more of a question for tomb but does beezar ship internationally?

Thanks

Of course. Keep in mind that certain high-ticket items require Priority Mail International. That's the minimum USPS shipment service that allows insurance on international shipments.

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #1,294 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the minimax drive 600ohm loads well? Specifically, does the minimax have enough power to properly drive a Beyer DT990 600 Ohms?

Honestly, I'd have to say it's pushing the MiniMAX's limit to use a 600 ohm load. At best, there's a 13.5V swing, which should be plenty adequate with 12AE6 tubes (high gain choice). However, not lacking the direct experience myself, I have known a couple of other MAX/MiniMAX builders who have had some problems with those cans. Who knows? It may be that they were trying it with 12FK6's and/or 150 ohm output resistors, but I don't know that for sure.

I guess all of that's a qualified "maybe."
wink.gif

Note that there are many DIY amps that may have trouble with the 600 ohm DT990's. I recall that was usually Morsel's threshold that caused concern with some designs and finally neglecting that was one of the reasons Amb took the Mini3 from a troubled 2 x 9V battery source to a successful single 9V battery source and finally released the design for production. Morsel and her 600 ohm cans were out of the picture at that point.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #1,295 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I'd have to say it's pushing the MiniMAX's limit to use a 600 ohm load. At best, there's a 13.5V swing, which should be plenty adequate with 12AE6 tubes (high gain choice). However, not lacking the direct experience myself, I have known a couple of other MAX/MiniMAX builders who have had some problems with those cans. Who knows? It may be that they were trying it with 12FK6's and/or 150 ohm output resistors, but I don't know that for sure.

I guess all of that's a qualified "maybe."
wink.gif

Note that there are many DIY amps that may have trouble with the 600 ohm DT990's. I recall that was usually Morsel's threshold that caused concern with some designs and finally neglecting that was one of the reasons Amb took the Mini3 from a troubled 2 x 9V battery source to a successful single 9V battery source and finally released the design for production. Morsel and her 600 ohm cans were out of the picture at that point.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'm running a DT990 600ohm thru my Whiplash Audio Minimax with a set of Sylvania 12AE6 tubes and it sounds very good to my ears. I am unable to move the volume past the 11am mark without hurting my ears. I asked because I did some reading and found that perhaps they can sound even better with a more powerful tube amp. Decisions....decisions.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #1,296 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, Tom. I'm running a DT990 600ohm thru my Whiplash Audio Minimax with a set of Sylvania 12AE6 tubes and it sounds very good to my ears. I am unable to move the volume past the 11am mark without hurting my ears. I asked because I did some reading and found that perhaps they can sound even better with a more powerful tube amp. Decisions....decisions.
biggrin.gif

Sounds like it's handling it well, then. As I said, the anecdotal reports may have had some extenuating circumstances, but I haven't had any direct experience - so was afraid to make a more definitive statement.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #1,298 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOPwn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any Hammond enclosures that will fit the minimax?

Sorry, not without ordering a larger case than necessary and bolting the MiniMAX PCB to the bottom of the case.

Lansing is really quite reasonable with direct orders.
wink.gif
Otherwise, I may have some separate cases on sale after the first of the year.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #1,300 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOPwn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is there a recommended replacement for the power jack which has become obsolete. I found this one, 163-R123B-E, but i'm not sure if it will work.

Nope - that's not it. They simply replaced the other one with an ROHS version. If you click on the link in the MiniMAX BOM, the Mouser page has a reference to the new ROHS version:
163-4302-E

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #1,302 of 1,948
I've begun prep work on my MiniMAX and I am crossing my fingers for a huge snow storm in NYC so I can lock myself up all weekend without feeling guilty. I would like to use my MiniMAX as a preamp for an Onkyo stereo reciever and a set of Klipsh Promedia speakers with a Zero DAC as the source (in addition to using it with my Grado 80s). I have been reading the original MAX thread for ideas. I am building the beezar kit, and my understanding is that space is at a premium in the case. Maybe I can mount two RCA jacks on the left-hand side of the case with the signal coming from the board's output to the headphone jacks? Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

PS - As I drilled out the center pin from one of the tube sockets, the bit seized and spun the socket out of the vise. It flew across the room and some of the pins are bent out of shape
angry_face.gif
. Am I risking mechanical failure down the line if I don't replace the socket and instead try to "massage" it into the board?

Thanks!!

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,303 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlingBlingDr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've begun prep work on my MiniMAX and I am crossing my fingers for a huge snow storm in NYC so I can lock myself up all weekend without feeling guilty. I would like to use my MiniMAX as a preamp for an Onkyo stereo reciever and a set of Klipsh Promedia speakers with a Zero DAC as the source (in addition to using it with my Grado 80s). I have been reading the original MAX thread for ideas. I am building the beezar kit, and my understanding is that space is at a premium in the case. Maybe I can mount two RCA jacks on the left-hand side of the case with the signal coming from the board's output to the headphone jacks? Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Installing a terminal block next to the headphone jack is the easiest way to set it up for a pre-amp. Run leads from the terminal block to a pair of output RCA jacks on the rear. The case was not designed for this and I'm not sure how you fit two extra RCA jacks on the back plate and not have it look bad. Plus, you're liable to tear up the silkscreening when you clamp it to drill the needed holes anyway:
MiniMAX-stdback.jpg

That said, it can certainly be done. Head-Fi user "Scy" used the Beezar/Lansing custom case extrusion, but went to FPE for his own different design of back plate and front plate -

Scy-1.jpg

Scy-2.jpg

Scy-3.jpg

As you can see, many more RCA jacks can be fit in with a little work and preparation.
wink.gif

Quote:

PS - As I drilled out the center pin from one of the tube sockets, the bit seized and spun the socket out of the vise. It flew across the room and some of the pins are bent out of shape
angry_face.gif
. Am I risking mechanical failure down the line if I don't replace the socket and instead try to "massage" it into the board?

Thanks!!

The pins will be fine if you bend them back. You need to bend them out to properly solder them to the PCB, anyway. Refer to this sequence for the Starving Student's PCB tube sockets (Step #7.). It's perfectly applicable to any PCB tube socket on a PCB:
SSMH Construction - PCB Part 2

EDIT: Sorry - I just now noticed that I duplicated one of those pics. It's fixed, now.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #1,305 of 1,948
Things seem to be going smoothly with my build. Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit confused about the trim pots. Based on the schematics, ->3, I have placed them backwards. When I look at previous builds, the pots trim pots are placed as I have them in the picture. Should I be concerned or reposition them?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back