New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Apr 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,471 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ the_equalizer

Thank you for your positive words of encouragement.
biggrin.gif

The kit I have coming should be much, much easier. It's just a Bottlehead Crack, all point to point. Should still be fun, even after this incident.
wink.gif

You should listen to these guys. We were all here ready to help in the blink of an eye. IMHO, after this incident a Bottlehead is a recipe for disaster. You can kill yourself with the voltage in one of those. If you think it will be easier than a manufactured PCB with paint-by-numbers silkscreen and a pre-machined custom case, I think you're sadly mistaken.

AFAIK, you're one of two who've given up on a MiniMAX - after literally hundreds have been built. You guys need to back up and try to build a CMoy, learn not to drill out holes off center on PCB pads because you can't get the solder out, learn not to rip the leads out of electrolytic capacitors, and worst of all, learn not to blow up your amplifier kits in the woods and then come back here posting about building something lethal the next time.

I'm sorry that this experience happened, but we were here to help, and as I noted in PM's and implied in e-mails, I've been known to repair a few myself. Help was easily available.
mad.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,472 of 1,948
oh wow...erm..sorry to hear it didn't work out :-/ what a waste.
I would just like to echo everyone elses sentiment on the lethal voltages...

anyway, guys, dumb question - can one of you wonderful chaps give me a brief breakdown on MiniMAX vs SSMH. The reason being is I'm considering my next full size can purchase, and I think I'm pretty much settled on some D2000's, which will leave me with £200 spare. I could do something entirely different or I could go ahead and build a miniMAX, but is it worth it? sure I assume it will be better but why? and will I really notice the difference with D2000's? TIA

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #1,473 of 1,948
For those of you who continue to post negative comments about my brother's miniMax build:

CHILL OUT! He posted on this thread about it because he thought it was a funny experience. He threw it down the hill because he decided DIY just wasn't for him. He didn't want to bother with it any longer. Is there something so wrong with that?

As far as I'm concerned, I know about the lethal voltages of the Bottlehead. I know it won't be easy as it will be MY first build. But I plan to take my own sweet time about it to make sure I get it right.

It just amazes me how sometimes on these threads one can't be funny and humble without getting attacked.

Please guys, no more negativity.
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #1,474 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh wow...erm..sorry to hear it didn't work out :-/ what a waste.
I would just like to echo everyone elses sentiment on the lethal voltages...

anyway, guys, dumb question - can one of you wonderful chaps give me a brief breakdown on MiniMAX vs SSMH. The reason being is I'm considering my next full size can purchase, and I think I'm pretty much settled on some D2000's, which will leave me with £200 spare. I could do something entirely different or I could go ahead and build a miniMAX, but is it worth it? sure I assume it will be better but why? and will I really notice the difference with D2000's? TIA

TomB usually does not allow comparison posts. I'll send you a PM with my impressions on these two amps.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,475 of 1,948
Quote:

For those of you who continue to post negative comments about my brother's miniMax build:

CHILL OUT! He posted on this thread about it because he thought it was a funny experience. He threw it down the hill because he decided DIY just wasn't for him. He didn't want to bother with it any longer. Is there something so wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with what you do with your money and time in your own privacy. However, when you post about this nonense in a public thread about my product, it implies that other people will have trouble, will worry about support, will worry whether there are instructions (that one really got me
mad.gif
), etc., etc. Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, I know about the lethal voltages of the Bottlehead. I know it won't be easy as it will be MY first build. But I plan to take my own sweet time about it to make sure I get it right.

Your track record is not good. Again I say - build a CMoy and try to get a successful result before you tackle potentially lethal enterprises. Quote:

It just amazes me how sometimes on these threads one can't be funny and humble without getting attacked.

beerchug.gif

No one interpreted it as funny and I still don't.
mad.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #1,476 of 1,948
Quote:

beerchug.gif

I guess you just have to kind of realise that alot of hard work, effort and contribution has gone into these projects - not in the least at the design stage, all the help TomB, equalizer and others give on a daily basis is enormous and very appreciated around these parts. As Tom said, your brother is only one of two people he is aware of who have given up on the project - says alot for the effort and help put in by these guys. And I guess instead of accepting help even if it seems like a lost cause and just throwing it down a hill is, to me, an insult to the guys and almost like all the advice was thrown back in their faces. If I had the same failure I would be gutted and even apologetic. Just think about how much free time is devoted to this project alone and then you might understand why some may feel upset

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TomB usually does not allow comparison posts. I'll send you a PM with my impressions on these two amps.

oops..ha I think this is gaffe number 3 I've made
redface.gif
but thankyou that would be most kind of you
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #1,477 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing wrong with what you do with your money and time in your own privacy. However, when you post about this nonense in a public thread about my product, it implies that other people will have trouble, will worry about support, will worry whether there are instructions (that one really got me
mad.gif
), etc., etc.Your track record is not good. Again I say - build a CMoy and try to get a successful result before you tackle potentially lethal enterprises.No one interpreted it as funny and I still don't.
mad.gif

Wow! You have no sense of humor. This is a public forum and there's nothing wrong with sharing experiences, good or bad. Nobody said anything about your product not being a good one or the apparent mistake on this build being YOUR fault. Things don't always work out. People react differently when things don't go right, such as COMICALLY throwing the project down the hill. If you can't imagine that as being funny, then I don't know what to say other than maybe you should relax a little.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,478 of 1,948
Quote:

such as COMICALLY throwing the project down the hill. If you can't imagine that as being funny, then I don't know what to say other than maybe you should relax a little.

yes I can see how throwing a project I would actually love to build and am debating at the moment whether I can afford it is comical, and I'm sure Tom can see how a project he has spent hours and hours designing, producing and supporting, then being publically dissed (yes..you did..'at least this one has instructions' - what a complete idiotic comment) when really the problem is not with the kit but with the builder is comical
rolleyes.gif

I tried a reasoning response above ^^ but clearly you are too arrogant or ignorant or both to understand. Good luck with your next project, and lets hope you don't need any help with it eh

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #1,479 of 1,948
^I find what you guys have said pretty insulting, and I'm pretty chill with a nice cold beer in my hand
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can't see how it's not insulting, I think you need to relax.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #1,480 of 1,948
Quote:

I guess you just have to kind of realise that alot of hard work, effort and contribution has gone into these projects - not in the least at the design stage, all the help TomB, equalizer and others give on a daily basis is enormous and very appreciated around these parts. As Tom said, your brother is only one of two people he is aware of who have given up on the project - says alot for the effort and help put in by these guys. And I guess instead of accepting help even if it seems like a lost cause and just throwing it down a hill is, to me, an insult to the guys and almost like all the advice was thrown back in their faces. If I had the same failure I would be gutted and even apologetic. Just think about how much free time is devoted to this project alone and then you might understand why some may feel upset

I see what you're saying timmy. The thing is, my brother's experience wasn't meant to insult anyone. He just decided that DIY isn't for him and comically threw it down the hill to get it out of his life. This experience was taken way out of context. Maybe some people would have mourned the loss of the miniMax. Some may have done everything in their power to find the problem and try to fix it. My brother decided to just get rid of it. Nothing wrong with that. Things get so negative so fast on this forum sometimes it's crazy.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #1,481 of 1,948
Quote:

yes I can see how throwing a project I would actually love to build and am debating at the moment whether I can afford it is comical, and I'm sure Tom can see how a project he has spent hours and hours designing, producing and supporting, then being publically dissed (yes..you did..'at least this one has instructions' - what a complete idiotic comment) when really the problem is not with the kit but with the builder is comical
rolleyes.gif

I tried a reasoning response above ^^ but clearly you are too arrogant or ignorant or both to understand. Good luck with your next project, and lets hope you don't need any help with it eh

Sheesh, you didn't even give me a chance to respond.

I agree about my comment about the instructions. I APOLOGIZE TO TOM for that comment. It wasn't meant to be an insult at the time. All I meant by it was that the miniMax instructions are designed for people who already have a knowledge of DIY. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MINIMAX INSTRUCTIONS. I meant no harm and I'm sorry if it caused any.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,483 of 1,948
Sorry Tom;
I didn't mean for it to be an insult, but a comical experience.
You do have a high quality product, it was just beyond my abilities.
I've never built any kind of electronics before.

One thing though, my brother (dongringo) didn't build the miniMax. He was at work most of the time.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #1,484 of 1,948
began building this last night, first thing i did was drill the tube sockets, drilled through and when loosening my workbench vice socket fell and broke upon impact:/ dont suppose anyone in the uk sells em do they? would order from beezar but with uk flights grounded prolly be a while till i get em

borked.jpeg

shots from my iphone 3g so excuse the quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back