New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Sep 18, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,231 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're more up on what one of these are supposed to look like right now than anybody else!
wink.gif

Yes, the landscape of the MiniMAX has become very familiar, like the neighborhood where I grew up ...
confused_face.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #1,232 of 1,948
The recent direction of this thread brings up a question - at least to me... Is there any point in socketing the BJTs??? It could make rolling easier and eliminate any possible worries about solder if installed backwards.

Personally, I'm big on putting things in backward. Right now I'm waiting for a 5K pot from Mouser - I soldered one in backwards and then I broke one off one of the legs when trying to remove it
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #1,233 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The recent direction of this thread brings up a question - at least to me... Is there any point in socketing the BJTs??? It could make rolling easier and eliminate any possible worries about solder if installed backwards.

Yes, there are TO-220 sockets available - even TO-92 ones. However, you have to snip the leads fairly short to make them work. Also, it's more of a roll-in and snap down motion to plug them in from what I understand. With the close proximity nature of the MiniMAX, there may not be enough room to do that right next to some of the heat sinks. That said, I believe BoilerMakerFan is going to use some output sockets on some of his builds. Perhaps he can add some insight to this.
Quote:

Personally, I'm big on putting things in backward.

Quote of the year right there!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
We need to save that one for posterity.
wink.gif

Quote:

Right now I'm waiting for a 5K pot from Mouser right now - I soldered one it backwards and then I broke one off one of the legs
frown.gif

Yes, as you and the rest of us have often found out, precision cermit trimmers are not made to be removed and re-installed reliably. Install them correctly the first time, and you never, ever have an issue. Otherwise ... Keep in mind, however, there's no great problem in installing them backwards - simply get used to turning the adjustment screw the other way. If you were using the MiniMAX custom case, however, that requires more care, because the trimmer screws must line up with the pre-machined holes.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #1,234 of 1,948
Just a quick update... got the parts resoldered and everything works just fine now. Listening to it right now through my Grados and gamma 1 and kind of regret that I sold my first one and that this one is going out the door tomorrow! Finishing my balanced B22 (someday) will probably help me move on though. Thanks again for the help folks!

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,235 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick update... got the parts resoldered and everything works just fine now. Listening to it right now through my Grados and gamma 1 and kind of regret that I sold my first one and that this one is going out the door tomorrow! Finishing my balanced B22 (someday) will probably help me move on though. Thanks again for the help folks!

Nice going! Give us some pics!

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #1,236 of 1,948
It looks like any other minimax with the black enclosure. One question... one of the tubes seems to glow brighter than the other. Not a huge difference but noticeable to me. Is that normal?

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #1,237 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like any other minimax with the black enclosure. One question... one of the tubes seems to glow brighter than the other. Not a huge difference but noticeable to me. Is that normal?

Yes, there can be quite a variation in the brightness of the cathode. It doesn't mean that it translates into differences of the tubes at all - there's no correlation.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #1,238 of 1,948
Quote:

on the high current driver transistors, that would not be a good design choice. sockets aren't the best for things like that. do they even make to220 pin sockets? never saw anything like that.

I remember the old days (to3) sockets. but not seen to220 sockets.

(whatever happened to to3 transistors? how come to220 took over?)

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #1,240 of 1,948
Quote:

I found some... at Mouser: 10-18-2031 Molex IC & Component Sockets

Sorry no picture on Mouser... I'll try to take one.

Yep - they exist. Thanks for looking them up.
smily_headphones1.gif

TO-220-1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #1,241 of 1,948
This projects been delayed for quite a long time, but I finally got my board last week.

Do the regulator/transistors need insulators? i put the heatsinks in to get a feel for the case height, and it seems that the chance of the heatsinks shorting against the top of the case is almost non-existent.

edit:
edited out the first question; I found my answer on diyforums

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #1,242 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This projects been delayed for quite a long time, but I finally got my board last week.

Do the regulator/transistors need insulators? i put the heatsinks in to get a feel for the case height, and it seems that the chance of the heatsinks shorting against the top of the case is almost non-existent.

edit:
edited out the first question; I found my answer on diyforums

Technically, no. However, the MiniMAX is something you may be sticking DMM probes into quite often. Those can make contact even if the case doesn't. Also, not every heat sink has perfect anodizing. So, using insulators are pennies to be safe.

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #1,245 of 1,948
Quote:

I found some... at Mouser: 10-18-2031 Molex IC & Component Sockets

couldn't you have posted this BEFORE I placed my mouser order, this week?

lol!
wink.gif

next one, for sure. looks interesting. I wonder if there is capacitance or resistance issues to care about with those?

if they can carry good current (to220's are final drivers, quite often) then I'll start using them. me hates unsoldering power tab transistors. me hates it mucho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back