New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,021 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my Max could probably drive them! I haven't tried sextets, but I'm confident
wink.gif
(MOSFET output stage with a nice big toroid)

Yes, of course - and with taller heat sinks and higher bias, the MiniMAX may be able to do the same thing, but the case is the thing and 1" is the limit.
wink.gif

I'm wondering if Daveze is the fellow who super-biased his BJT's on the regular MAX. There was someone who did that - put over 100ma on the BJT's, I think, but I can't remember who exactly.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #1,023 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, of course - and with taller heat sinks and higher bias, the MiniMAX may be able to do the same thing, but the case is the thing and 1" is the limit.
wink.gif

I'm wondering if Daveze is the fellow who super-biased his BJT's on the regular MAX. There was someone who did that - put over 100ma on the BJT's, I think, but I can't remember who exactly.

Guilty. Not quite 100 mA, only up to 80 mA. You do raise a good point though, I might try some more tube rolling and see what I come up with. One reason I went with two Mini's was that I was loosely considering a balanced rig, maybe I've come across a good reason to try it.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,024 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guilty. Not quite 100 mA, only up to 80 mA. You do raise a good point though, I might try some more tube rolling and see what I come up with. One reason I went with two Mini's was that I was loosely considering a balanced rig, maybe I've come across a good reason to try it.

Weren't you asking about going higher than that at one point, though? Still, I wasn't too far off.
wink.gif

Extra current will help some on the big MAXes, but not on the MiniMAX. However, with that high impedance, the best you can do is get some high output 12AE6's and make sure you don't use any output resistors. In that regard, the MiniMAX should be equal to the task, I would think.

Your idea of balancing would solve it all, probably - more current available and twice the voltage gain.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #1,025 of 1,948
I was considering going higher but after changing the transistors twice already, I really didn't feel like going through the grief of a third change in the event of transistor failure. At that point they were running ~50 degC, which is a nice point to leave them.

Now I just need a small balanced DAC. My DAC-301 would be up to the task but needs a case. Is there a fancy way to make two y1 into a balanced arrangement?

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #1,026 of 1,948
I noticed that the top of my Lansing case is slightly bowed outward. Have any of you noticed this on your cases? What did you do to flatten it? I've tried bending it by hand, but it doesn't seem to want to flatten out.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #1,028 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that the top of my Lansing case is slightly bowed outward. Have any of you noticed this on your cases? What did you do to flatten it? I've tried bending it by hand, but it doesn't seem to want to flatten out.

They're all like that. You can actually offset the endplates slightly to account for the difference. Just whittle an extra sliver or two off the bottom of the pot-shaft and headphone-jack holes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #1,029 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a fancy way to make two y1 into a balanced arrangement?

No, the only thing you could do if you needed balanced out of a y1 was add a phase splitter of some sort, or maybe a transformer.

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #1,030 of 1,948
this is a fun little amp. I'm really glad I jumped in on the GB and got the machined case. that made ALL the diff.

I used to be into ham radio (1970's timeframe) and this 2 tube unit reminds me a lot of stuff I used to use back then. it was a neat time for electronics and DIY back then, too..

so far I've left the buffers at 90 and have not pushed to (120?) yet. am I missing much by leaving it so low? I don't feel a lot of heat off the case and I kind of like it that way..

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,031 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a fun little amp. I'm really glad I jumped in on the GB and got the machined case. that made ALL the diff.

I used to be into ham radio (1970's timeframe) and this 2 tube unit reminds me a lot of stuff I used to use back then. it was a neat time for electronics and DIY back then, too..

so far I've left the buffers at 90 and have not pushed to (120?) yet. am I missing much by leaving it so low? I don't feel a lot of heat off the case and I kind of like it that way..

You should be able to get 110mV (50ma) without any issue, probably a bit further, if you want to push it. However, 110mv (50ma) is our official recommendation.
smily_headphones1.gif

90mV is only a little more than the PPA and CKKIII get without any heat sinks.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #1,032 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the only thing you could do if you needed balanced out of a y1 was add a phase splitter of some sort, or maybe a transformer.

See, I've been thinking about this, and there is theoretically a better way if you do have two y1.

With ASIO4ALL and Foobar, you are able to map the music channels to whatever ASIO device you like. If you had a plugin that was capable of generating a perfect inverse signal to your music in real time, you may be able to send left + and left - to one device, then right + and right - to a separate device.

Completely theoretical of course, and the plugin doesn't appear to exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back