New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #31 of 1,948
Tom is right, CM2 was omitted because I felt it wasnt actually necessary, and RB13 and RB14 were swapped because I only added the resistors labeled on the miniMax boards as RB14 at the very last minute, and didnt even think about the consistency issue with the regular Max board. Sorry about this guys, it is already corrected for the final board.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #32 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CM3 is correct.

Cool. Along those lines then, when I was putting together my orders for parts, I noticed the Digi-Key part # for CM3 needs to be updated to 493-1286-ND to reflect that change.

It looks like Digi-Key dropped their requirements for a minimum order (didn't know that had happened) so I am going to use the Panasonic FM's on my build (plus the Murata trimpots, which I prefer). I'm going with 1800μf for CA4 & CA5 unless you think 1200μf is a better choice.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #33 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. Along those lines then, when I was putting together my orders for parts, I noticed the Digi-Key part # for CM3 needs to be updated to 493-1286-ND to reflect that change.

It looks like Digi-Key dropped their requirements for a minimum order (didn't know that had happened) so I am going to use the Panasonic FM's on my build (plus the Murata trimpots, which I prefer). I'm going with 1800μf for CA4 & CA5 unless you think 1200μf is a better choice.

The 1800uf's are an excellent choice.

I've updated the BOM according to your comments and Colin's.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #34 of 1,948
The proto boards are here!!

These will ship to the prototypers tomorrow ... stay tuned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #35 of 1,948
Any guesses on when production boards for the mini max would be ready?

I'm just a newbie diy type. If the Mini Max is "lower voltage" like some of the other Millett designs, it sounds like another good project? Not sure I really want to mess with point to point to do the starving student version. It seems attractive to have a more compact head amp than the max??

I wouldn't want to mess with prototyping since I wouldn't know if I made a bad solder, had a bad part, or there was a problem with circuit design... However, I'd be a great "test subject" to see if beginners could easily assemble the project after all the prototyping is completed
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #39 of 1,948
ruZZ.il is right, it is functionally the same, and has the same output terminal block which is disconnected when headphones are plugged into the onboard headphone jack. The only issue, and I know you can get around it, is finding a place for the new output jacks.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My board just arrived in the mail. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
beerchug.gif

Sweet TimJo! I havnt actually seen one of the real boards yet; I guess USPS had a minor hickup, as I usually get 1-2 days transit time to/from tomb. Cant wait to see your build.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #42 of 1,948
So we have to get the prototypes up and running, then get a final board put out, as well as getting the custom enclosures fabricated? Is there any sort of a timetable for this? I haven't built anything in awhile, but I think I may build one or two of these!

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #43 of 1,948
ooh boards!
smily_headphones1.gif
I want to build mine already too. Unfortunately I wont be able to till just before mid September.. I'll be on vacation
biggrin.gif
driving up your west coast. I probably wont want to come back home too soon, I need some time off, but at least I'll have something to look forward to.
I was hoping this wouldn't hinder the prototyping any bit, but I'll be willing to try out any suggested changes anyone may find necessary.. miniMAX 0.2, of sorts. Though I suspect 0.1 will pretty much be 1.0 anyway(kudos)! I'll hopefully have time to make some measurements by that time too
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #44 of 1,948
The MiniMAX case design is finished and the drawings were submitted to Lansing for a quote this past Friday. I'll post an update when I hear back from them. However, preliminary feedback still indicates a walk-away price of ~$30 per case, if we can Group Buy at least 100. Here's what the drawings look like:

MiniMAX-M001-sm.gif
MiniMAX-M002-sm.gif

MiniMAX-M003-sm.gif
MiniMAX-M004-sm.gif

For those that may be interested, a more detailed look can be seen at DIYForums.

At least one prototyper has populated a board - this one belongs to Max Hester (hope he doesn't mind my posting it):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back