New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jul 24, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #5,281 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if Tom can't help you out, couldn't you use PC standoffs in a pinch? I think even Best Buy sells them now. Lowe's will have the small 4-40 pan head screws and cap nuts to secure it temporarily if Tom's don't make it in time.

Worst case, I know Lowe's has nylon spacers that will accept 4-40 screws so you could temp it in that way with a pan head sheet metal screw, nylon spacer, and cap nut. Might require a trip into Buffalo to hit a Lowe's, but Lowe's has a much better small hardware selection than the big orange box store.

nearest lowes is an hour away...
frown.gif
Tom mailed me some. Thanks for the suggestion.
I thought of PC standoffs, but I don't think I have 5, as I've used them in a couple builds already... lol
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #5,282 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nearest lowes is an hour away...
frown.gif
Tom mailed me some. Thanks for the suggestion.
I thought of PC standoffs, but I don't think I have 5, as I've used them in a couple builds already... lol
tongue.gif

Yes, but tomorrow is Thursday, so that means the free concert in downtown Buffalo! Wings at Gabrielle's Gate and a couple of rum & Cokes at the Croc Bar before you head to the show! I can even tell you who it is tomorrow, it's the Gin Blossoms. So, uh, well depending on your music preference... At least you'll have great wings and your parts! But Thurs., Aug. 7 is Zappa Plays Zappa which would be really cool to see for free.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #5,283 of 6,727
Quote:

Yes, but tomorrow is Thursday, so that means the free concert in downtown Buffalo! Wings at Gabrielle's Gate and a couple of rum & Cokes at the Croc Bar before you head to the show! I can even tell you who it is tomorrow, it's the Gin Blossoms. So, uh, well depending on your music preference... At least you'll have great wings and your parts! But Thurs., Aug. 7 is Zappa Plays Zappa which would be really cool to see for free.

how did I not know this?!?!

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #5,284 of 6,727
Quote:

how did I not know this?!?!

I'll tell you offline!
tongue.gif
I'll email you the link too. With all my traveling, I try to keep up on the live music scenes for all the major cities I visit.

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #5,285 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you only need a foot or 2, I'll gladly send you some, though it'll take a little while to get there.. just let me know. Also, IIRC, he may have gone on vacation for a little while, promising to come back with a bunch of re-stock. It may be worth sending him a message before ordering.
Again, if you don't mind waiting about 2 weeks, I'll send you a little variety pack enough for a build or 2..

Wow Ruzz, Thanks for the offer. I think I'll pass though as it'll be pretty easy for me to get some 22 gauge wire from John's Wire Shop. Thanks for the offer and the help though!

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #5,286 of 6,727
well I have some good news... and some not so good news...

First order of news, the good news!
- My Par-Metal order arrived, a day early! They got it right this time, black enclosure, silver (clear) faceplate. I also got my two toroids. However, this is also part of the not so good news...
And now for the not so good news.
- Par-Metal didn't get this order flawless... I had ordered the divider so I would have a separate psu section. Order is missing this part completely.
- I purchased 2" heatsinks because I knew I'd have room, and they fit fine with my estimate standoffs (borrowed) but the tubes are about 1/8" too long. This means I need to shave off the standoffs, find shorter ones or use longer ones and let the tubes stick out a little bit. This would also necessitate going down to 1.5" heatsinks.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #5,287 of 6,727
Quote:

well I have some good news... and some not so good news...

First order of news, the good news!
- My Par-Metal order arrived, a day early! They got it right this time, black enclosure, silver (clear) faceplate. I also got my two toroids. However, this is also part of the not so good news...
And now for the not so good news.
- Par-Metal didn't get this order flawless... I had ordered the divider so I would have a separate psu section. Order is missing this part completely.
- I purchased 2" heatsinks because I knew I'd have room, and they fit fine with my estimate standoffs (borrowed) but the tubes are about 1/8" too long. This means I need to shave off the standoffs, find shorter ones or use longer ones and let the tubes stick out a little bit. This would also necessitate going down to 1.5" heatsinks.

That sucks about the divider. I assume it can be added after the fact?

Shave down the standoffs, keep the 2" sinks and keep the tubes covered, or use a glass dome or lense to cover the small of tube sticking out...

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #5,289 of 6,727
Quote:

what's the best way to shave down the standoffs? or is there a place where I could buy shorter ones?

You can get 4-40 threaded standoffs as short as 1/4" - at any location that sells standoffs, more or less. If you're talking spacers, you can make it shorter than that. Of course, a very thin spacer is a washer.
wink.gif
If you have the 4-40 screws, you can stack thin washers to get whatever space you need. Put the screw head on the bottom of the case and use a washer, lock washer, and nut on top of the board. Then spacing is only limited by the number of washers you have and the length of your screws.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #5,290 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get 4-40 threaded standoffs as short as 1/4" - at any location that sells standoffs, more or less. If you're talking spacers, you can make it shorter than that. Of course, a very thin spacer is a washer.
wink.gif
If you have the 4-40 screws, you can stack thin washers to get whatever space you need. Put the screw head on the bottom of the case and use a washer, lock washer, and nut on top of the board. Then spacing is only limited by the number of washers you have and the length of your screws.
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, that's what I figured... just haven't found a good place yet. I went to Home Depot today and picked up some 4-40 machine screws, but they didn't have any spacers, lock washers or flat washers...

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #5,291 of 6,727
Quote:

yeah, that's what I figured... just haven't found a good place yet. I went to Home Depot today and picked up some 4-40 machine screws, but they didn't have any spacers, lock washers or flat washers...

You'll have better luck finding 4-40 hardware at an Ace Hardware, not Home Depot or Lowes. There are better places, of course, but if your town/area is big enough for a Home Depot, there's usually an Ace Hardware around somewhere, too.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #5,292 of 6,727
Quote:

You'll have better luck finding 4-40 hardware at an Ace Hardware, not Home Depot or Lowes. There are better places, of course, but if your town/area is big enough for a Home Depot, there's usually an Ace Hardware around somewhere, too.

I live in a town that still has a 'general' store lol. I haven't found any Ace hardware stores where I would typically go shopping, but I did just look at their website and found one that's about 15-20 min from where I work so maybe I'll stop in one day on my lunch hour.

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #5,293 of 6,727
Quote:

It must be hit or miss then because our Lowes has a great selection of SS 4-40 and metric hardware. Our HD stinks for hardware though. Industrial or wholesale distributors like Fastenal are also good for small SAE or metric hardware. I've had to use them for a 50mm and 75mm long 3mm bolt before.

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #5,294 of 6,727
Quote:

Industrial or wholesale distributors like Fastenal are also good for small SAE or metric hardware. I've had to use them for a 50mm and 75mm long 3mm bolt before.

YESSS why have I not been there yet?!?! I have one about a mile from my house
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

p.s. what were u using bolts that size on?

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #5,295 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p.s. what were u using bolts that size on?

A R/C electric 4x4 rock crawler on a custom CF chassis. I have more hobbies than most people have loose pennies in a jar. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back