New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jul 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #5,251 of 6,727
That looks really great. Very classy casework, fitting for the quality of the sound the Max creates.

That looks like a Can't Miss #2, correct?

BTW, welcome to Head-Fi...

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #5,252 of 6,727
Thanks for the nice comments!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That looks like a Can't Miss #2, correct?

That's correct.
Muses and wimas in other positions + 0.18uf VitQ's as the output coupling caps.
The diamond buffers are 2SC3422/2SA1359, biased up to 110mV atm.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #5,257 of 6,727
Assuming your toroid is, say, 30VA, you'd need around 30VA with over head, so, in the states, that's at least 120v*I=30, or I=30/120=0.25A. Since they're all in the range of a handful of amps, that's not your concern. as for the poles and stuff.. I dunno. great help I am ha?
biggrin.gif

Edit: I'm guessing 1 fuse is probably enough, and more than most people around here have.. though most wall warts probably have some sort of self burn out thing anyway..

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #5,258 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming your toroid is, say, 30VA, you'd need around 30VA with over head, so, in the states, that's at least 120v*I=30, or I=30/120=0.25A. Since they're all in the range of a handful of amps, that's not your concern. as for the poles and stuff.. I dunno. great help I am ha?
biggrin.gif

Edit: I'm guessing 1 fuse is probably enough, and more than most people around here have.. though most wall warts probably have some sort of self burn out thing anyway..

no, I was referring to the actual fuse drawer that you have to purchase separately.

I have a 100va toriod for my Max and a 20va toroid for my Opus. I may add an IVY stage later, so that would likely be another 20va toroid.

I'm thinking a 3a quick blow fuse will be good. Give me enough overhead for inrush current, but not too high so as not to protect the electronics. Maybe my thinking is flawed though?
Maybe I should go a little higher as I'm building a mosfet max?

I wasn't sure about the actual fuse drawer. I think 4301.1405
this is the one I need though, can anyone confirm this?

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #5,259 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at this filtered power inlet.
DD12.9121.111
I believe it will work, but I've never used one of these before so I'd just like to make sure before placing an order. Plus, the fuse drawer is separate... what one do I need?

I've never ordered one of these before, but it looks like the one you called out doesn't have a fuse drawer. It looks to me like the 693.KE10.xxxx.xxx series are the ones with fuse drawers. The one you called out looks to me like it just has a switch and an EMC filter.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #5,260 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never ordered one of these before, but it looks like the one you called out doesn't have a fuse drawer. It looks to me like the 693.KE10.xxxx.xxx series are the ones with fuse drawers. The one you called out looks to me like it just has a switch and an EMC filter.

It says it has a fuse drawer that has to be purchased separately
http://www.schurterinc.com/pdf/english/typ_DD12.pdf

edit: would it be worth the extra few $$ to get the medical grade filter?

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5,261 of 6,727
Quote:

edit: would it be worth the extra few $$ to get the medical grade filter?

General Purpose is fine. Order one withe the 2 pole fuse and order a standard or finger safe 2 pole fuse drawer. Then both the hot and neutral legs are fused in case you ever plug into a circuit that has it's polarity reversed. AC devises will work fine, but if the neutral was fused it just takes longer for the fuse to blow or it may never blow if there was a ground fault on an inversed circuit (i.e., your hot was fused, but the outlet was wired wrong so the fuse is actually on the neutral). Fuse both legs and start with a 2A slow blow, use a 3A slow blow if the 2A pops too often to be a problem. Fast blow fuses will probably blow when you power up the MAX just because of the in rush on the tubes.

The links I posted a few pages back were for a 2 pole fused drawer general purpose filter and 2 pole finger safe fuse drawer IIRC. It might have been a standard fuse drawer, but the part numbers will work together and the inlet is rated for 10A, so it will handle the load.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #5,262 of 6,727
Quote:

Your right, sorry about that soloz2. Too many numbers and I think I got cross-eyed.
tongue.gif

It looks like BoilermakerFan has it figured out...

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #5,263 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everybody. Got my max wired and cased up a couple days ago. I must say I really like this amp, a lot. Thanks for everyone involved, and especially TomB for his support for the community and for supplying the parts.
The aluminium ends of the case were made by FPE (Schaeffer AG) and the elm wood sides by a local carpenter.

Took some photos today, so here goes:

Some more pics at my flickr

Really nice case.
Do you mind tell us how much you spend for the case?

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #5,264 of 6,727
Another Millett Max (build 2) lives! I'm not much of an audiophile (built for cost of mats for a friend + soldering experience), but it does sound good.

One problem though... I got both the 12FK6 and the 12AE6 from beezar.com. The 12AE6's all work fine, one of the 12FK6's hums. The humming gets worse when my hand gets closer and when I tap the tube, I don't "hear" the tap like all the other tubes. Switched channels and the same problem, only on the other side. Is this a tube problem or circuit problem? I'm guessing tubes due to the consistency of the problem over channels but this is my first foray into tubes so...

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #5,265 of 6,727
Beautiful Scy! That front panel is just so nice. congrats! Another Max Lives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back