New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
May 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #4,786 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to use an Alien DAC, why would you want to use the analog output from your soundcard? Unless you have a higher end 24/96 or 24/192 soundcard, I wouldn't bother with the analog outs from the card. You can just use the USB to send the digital signal from your PC to the DAC. That would allow you to use a simple DPDT toggle switch for the inputs and the same for the outputs, much easier, and much cheaper. The Triad will be plenty of power for the MAX and OptiVol if your using BJTs or MOSFETS at the recommended bias levels. The Darwin would be overkill for your application since it supports 6 inputs and 2 outputs standard, or can be reconfigured to 7-in and 1-out. I have a TT, CDP, iPod, XM, FM Tuner, and PC sources so I needed the Darwin for this first build. My second will just be a DAC and TT, so I'll just use DPDTs.

I want to be able to use the analog out from my soundcard for gaming/video. I have an Auzen X-Fi Prelude, so I'd only use the USB DAC for music.

I know the Darwin would be a bit overkill, but I've been looking at prices for some nice rotary switches at about $40 for the ones I'm looking at the Darwin does seem nice as it will allow me to have shorter signal paths.

May 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #4,787 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to be able to use the analog out from my soundcard for gaming/video. I have an Auzen X-Fi Prelude, so I'd only use the USB DAC for music.

I know the Darwin would be a bit overkill, but I've been looking at prices for some nice rotary switches at about $40 for the ones I'm looking at the Darwin does seem nice as it will allow me to have shorter signal paths.

Gotcha, the X-Fi supports the EAX sound effects through 2-channel headphones if you use the analog outputs...

Yep, the best feature of the Darwin is that the selector switches aren't in the signal path.

May 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #4,788 of 6,727
Quote:

Gotcha, the X-Fi supports the EAX sound effects through 2-channel headphones if you use the analog outputs...

Yep, the best feature of the Darwin is that the selector switches aren't in the signal path.

If I'm looking at the control wiring diagram correctly, if I decide to only have 1 output I can just use the one rotary selector and only worry about switching the input correct?

May 20, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #4,789 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by agutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. I am interested in that selection switch. Basically I am looking to have 2-3 RCA Inputs with a switch, feed in to the inputs of my Millet. ..

You seem to be here at the right time, and in the midst of a relating conversation :p I'm not sure how much DIY experience you have, but one of the rotary selection switches may be the simplest to figure out... though the digital ones, following instructions, cant be too hard..

May 20, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #4,790 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm looking at the control wiring diagram correctly, if I decide to only have 1 output I can just use the one rotary selector and only worry about switching the input correct?

Yes, you should be able to do that, but I haven't looked at mine close enough to tell you which wires need to be jumpered together. I actually "cheated" and ordered the balanced kit so I need to order another set of Alpha rotary switches and different multi-conductor cables to make two separate SE boards. I'll have to look more closely at it, but I probably already have the cables in my "project" box.

May 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #4,791 of 6,727
User c0nsumer built that digital input switch for his MAX, but he hasn't posted for a long time and I'm not sure he ever finished programming it. It might be worth sending him an e-mail, though:
Audio Input Switch - nuxx.net

500px-audio_input_switch_complete_dpst_board.jpg

May 21, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #4,792 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
User c0nsumer built that digital input switch for his MAX, but he hasn't posted for a long time and I'm not sure he ever finished programming it. It might be worth sending him an e-mail, though:
Audio Input Switch - nuxx.net

500px-audio_input_switch_complete_dpst_board.jpg

Programming!
eek.gif
The Darwin is just good ol' relays for input switching.

Soloz, the Darwin can be jumpered for a single output right at the board, but you'll need to modify your ribbon cable or make your own twisted pairs and solder directly to the PCB which is a little tight, but would be easy enough with a smaller tip on the soldering iron. I'm definitely going to use multi-conductor cable or make my own twisted pairs and Lintz braid them to run to the selector switches. If you want to hardwire everything, you would be better off just buying the PCBs and the rest of the components from Mouser or Digi-Key. That's why I ordered the Balance kit instead of two Se kits.

- BMF

May 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #4,793 of 6,727
Quote:

Programming!
eek.gif
The Darwin is just good ol' relays for input switching.</snip>

Yes, well, I'm not promoting it, but there were several who seemed interested in it at the time.

There's also a similar version, I think, from that guy on ebay that sells DIY PCB boards ... DIY Gene or something like that.

May 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #4,794 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, well, I'm not promoting it, but there were several who seemed interested in it at the time.

There's also a similar version, I think, from that guy on ebay that sells DIY PCB boards ... DIY Gene or something like that.

The programmable version would be great in combination with other I2P communication parts such as the soon to be released TPA Joshua Tree Attenuator and it's compatibility with VFD displays. But for just source switching as a stand alone device, it's overkill - "not that there is anything wrong with that, Seinfeld."

Let's just say this "might" be part of my plan for my second MAX build for my office.
biggrin.gif

- BMF

May 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #4,796 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the darwin is programmed too, it just comes preprogrammed from brian & russ so the user doesn't really have to do any programming

The Darwin is strictly a relay-based I/O switch with resistors and diodes to prevent pops and back-feeds/cross-feeds.

Their Joshua Tree however, is a relay-based, programmed attenuator.

May 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #4,797 of 6,727
So...

I'm planning on ordering parts to build a Millet Max today (pending parts approval of my co-projectee). Ordering seems more or less straight forwards off the BOM until QB9 L/R and QB8 L/R. In the BOM there's two NPN/PNP transistor options given, but both are calculated into the final price. I looked at the schematic and there's only 1 transistor in each required location... I assume we only need one of the choices? (ie, not both the MJE AND the BD?). I plan on utilizing some of the more expensive transistors, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing any of the parts after I order them.

May 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #4,798 of 6,727
Hi guys, just wanted to ask a quick question, i seem to be getting a lot of hum and interference through my millet. Could it be to do with grounding? Does it need to be grounded? When i touch the volume knob i can here more hum. Its a bit annoying because im sure its something that happened just recently.

Any ideas???

Thank you

May 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #4,799 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, just wanted to ask a quick question, i seem to be getting a lot of hum and interference through my millet. Could it be to do with grounding? Does it need to be grounded? When i touch the volume knob i can here more hum. Its a bit annoying because im sure its something that happened just recently.

Any ideas???

Thank you

Grounding the pot should fix it.

May 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #4,800 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grounding the pot should fix it.

Good suggestion. However - if it doesn't, check the signal ground on the pinput terminal block. I've some isolated cases where the solder didn't wick through to the top - where the connection to the ground plane is. If the signal ground is not properly grounded, it'll play a racket almost constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back