New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Dec 18, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #2,716 of 6,727
I broke 2.. though I had this really cheap drill bit that would heat up before getting far, cease up and.. well.. though I got a proper drill bit set which goes through them like butter
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #2,717 of 6,727
I just dismantled four of these over the weekend. I drilled out the bottom and they came apart easily. Judging by the amount of stamped metal holding them together, prying won't be very helpful.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2,719 of 6,727
For all those with 2SC2238/2SA968 pairs in their Max:

I have been doing some tube rolling because I wasn't really happy with the sound I was getting. The GE 12FK6's sounded O.K. but it was almost like the highs were overly bright and maybe smeared a bit, bass was very weak. I tried the 12AE6's (two different sets, RCA and Standard Brand) and it was pretty much the same thing... the highs just sounded unnatural and there was no bass. I put the GE 12FM6's in there not expecting much since they don't seem too popular with the Millet Max crowd. This actually shocked me how good it sounded, I listened for a while and decided that these were the best sounding tubes for my Max. The bass was very strong with these tubes, the highs sounded very natural and forward and the sound stage increased dramatically. I let them burn in overnight and they seem to be holding up nicely... very sweet sounding and musical. Keep in mind I have Muse Es's in CA7 and CA2 with K-42's in CA8, Wima's in CA9, and RB-14's jumpered.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2,720 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04BluMach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Immediate on-line support is nearly unparalleled with an outstanding MAX Build information and guide website.

We're actually just a few replies shy of being "The Most Replied to Thread in the DIY Subforum."

Most views is another matter, sadly.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #2,721 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're actually just a few replies shy of being "The Most Replied to Thread in the DIY Subforum."

Most views is another matter, sadly.

Shhhh .... you'll jinx it.
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2,723 of 6,727
i have a question for anyone who's ordered a MAX kit from Jeff: does anyone know what kind of matching he does on the transistors? must they still be matched when received, or are all the ones he sends of a certain type pretty well matched with one another?

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #2,724 of 6,727
Thats probably a question for TomB. Speaking of TomB, thanks package received today. :wink:

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #2,725 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats probably a question for TomB. Speaking of TomB, thanks package received today. :wink:

That's great news!

No, I can't tell you if Jeff matches transistors. Truth is, the MAX is pretty tolerant and will do fairly well without matching. Matching is probably one of those things in the last 10% of improvements, but someone will have to ask him to know for sure.

If he does, then there's more evidence of the quality he puts in his kits. If not, then that tells you the MAX will give you great sound without a lot of effort - witness the many satisfied customers of Jeff's kits.

Seems as if the answer is a win-win either way.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #2,726 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a question for anyone who's ordered a MAX kit from Jeff: does anyone know what kind of matching he does on the transistors? must they still be matched when received, or are all the ones he sends of a certain type pretty well matched with one another?

Jeff does match transistors. After I ordered my Millet max kit from him he said he would ship it but first he had to match 100 transistors.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #2,727 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by willisv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeff does match transistors. After I ordered my Millet max kit from him he said he would ship it but first he had to match 100 transistors.

excellent. Jeff did label the bag containing the CCS parts as "match transistors", but i wasn't sure if that was a direction (as in, "make sure you match them yourself"), or if it was a descriptor (as in, "these four are all matched well to one another"). it's good to hear that he does match, but it's also nice that the MAX design is pretty tolerant. i actually soldered the CCS transistors in last night before realizing that matching might be an issue, and actually stopped stuffing the board because was worried that i might be compromising the amp's quality. i'm glad that i wasn't.

oh, and on a side note, i did e-mail Jeff first to ask him myself, but i'm sure he's pretty busy and i'm trying to complete the MAX in time for Christmas, so i figured i'd ask on here as well. if he gives me more information on precisely which transistors he matches (all, or just the CCS, or what), i'll post it on here for the common good.

and now, off to solder like mad and hopefully get to biasing tonight as well!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #2,728 of 6,727
One thing that I am wondering about, is......when we eventually run out of the standard mini 7 pin tubes for the Max, will we be able to create a version that uses 12au7. The 12au7 has a gain from 14 - 20, can run at 48v B+, and runs at higher current of course, and is 9 pin which can be worked around. There will be no end to the availability of the 12au7, which is used in the SOHA of course. What are the chances of Colin pulling that off? Anyone?

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #2,729 of 6,727
Just put about thirty hours on my 2nd max with Black Gates and the Russian K42's at CA8...breaking in verrry sweetly. You guys are the best. Got parts for a third and will be doing "can't miss" build #2 or 3. Thought I was overdoing it buying three boards at the beginning, but...

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #2,730 of 6,727
Yeah, thats the way the Max effects most of us. Our not so secret audio addiction. he he :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back