New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Nov 4, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #2,281 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious. I have a non Max MH with BG's, would these caps be a recommended try with this amp. I'm not unhappy, but as we all know, can always be happier "maybe".
What do you think?

So far, the BG's in a MAX seem resistant to cap bypassing. It's as if they can't be hurt by bad ones (note Russ's several comments about no difference in Sonicaps vs NO Sonicaps), and yet can't be helped by good ones (meaning, the K42's).

I've got them on a brand new BG MAX where the BG's are not fully broken in. The best I can say about them is that they have no effect as far as I can tell. I have about 40-50 hours on the BG's and they still sound "congested." The K42's don't seem to have much effect, to be truthful. Nevertheless, for BG's, that may be saying a lot.

One thing - the revMH Millett Hybrid board does not have enough room on the board to fit one of these caps, IMHO. They wouldn't fit in the MAX sitting horizontal - it's the tombstone positions that Colin included that make the difference. You'd have to do something pretty special to shoehorn them in there.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #2,282 of 6,727
Thanks for the answer. I'm not going to bother then.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #2,283 of 6,727
TomB, thats what I noticed too, as far as film/foil caps go, for CA8 and BGs at CA7. Although I have done the experimental thing with the Cerafine 470uF in parallel with BG 470uF there with very good results. As we know Cerafines are getting harder to find though. btw,I also appreciate your support on this thread! Edit: Thats a very definitive instruction guide on the Russian PIO cap modification/installation, but just another example of the high quality you consistently provide. :wink:

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #2,284 of 6,727
btw, I am in negotiations with some local electronic engineers/technicians to help buy a surplus electronics store. We have just incorporated and for the first time in my life I am a sitting member on a board of directors. I purposely avoided the primary positions of President, Secretary and Treasurer, in order to become the primary buyer/CTO. Unfortunately, we decided not to pay ourselves for six months(hmm...peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ramen noodles) until we reach a predetermined cash flow. In two months, if all works out, I can stock the capacitors, transistors, tubes, resistors, connectors and wire that I think will sell. Then I will see what arrangements I can make for discounts to members of this forum through the appropriate channels. Edit: Tom B., you will be rewarded for your time on this thread, once I get the power to buy.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #2,285 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, I am in negotiations with some local electronic engineers/technicians to help buy a surplus electronics store. We have just incorporated and for the first time in my life I am a sitting member on a board of directors. I purposely avoided the primary positions of President, Secretary and Treasurer, in order to become the primary buyer/CTO. Unfortunately, we decided not to pay ourselves for six months until we reach a predetermined cash flow. In two months, if all works out, I can stock the capacitors, transistors, tubes, resistors, connectors and wire that I think will sell. Then I will see what arrangements I can make for discounts to members of this forum through the appropriate channels.

SWEET
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

now we can have a legit corp buy stuff in bulk, and we'll reap the benefits!
very_evil_smiley.gif

in all seriousness, congrats on your new business endeavor... hope it works out well for you

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #2,286 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I just wanted to pitch in some thanks to you and fordgtlover as well... thanks to the trial and error you guys put in and the nice write-up, I (as a low-level DIY'er) feel confident enough to try those myself.

I just ordered some and will put them in my second MAX (coupled with Nichicon KZ) and if I do like them after comparison, I still can replace my WIMAs in my first build as well.

Can't wait to try them!

Thanks Televator - I gratefully accept a small part of the appreciation.

The MAX is a great project and I am pleased to have added to it in a small way.

I am still a relative newbie to DIY myself. So, it goes to show that improvements don't always need to come from those guys with considerably more experience. Curiosity takes you a long way.

I think it's a low cost tweak that many will enjoy. I can't wait for you and others to hear what Tomb and I have heard with these nice little caps.

I certainly hope they keep finding wharehouse in Russia with such treasures
cool.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #2,287 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, I am in negotiations with some local electronic engineers/technicians to help buy a surplus electronics store. We have just incorporated and for the first time in my life I am a sitting member on a board of directors. I purposely avoided the primary positions of President, Secretary and Treasurer, in order to become the primary buyer/CTO. Unfortunately, we decided not to pay ourselves for six months(hmm...peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ramen noodles) until we reach a predetermined cash flow. In two months, if all works out, I can stock the capacitors, transistors, tubes, resistors, connectors and wire that I think will sell. Then I will see what arrangements I can make for discounts to members of this forum through the appropriate channels. Edit: Tom B., you will be rewarded for your time on this thread, once I get the power to buy.

Sounds good. I'll be keeping an eye out. BTW whats the name of your company and do you have a web site up yet?

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #2,288 of 6,727
woo my max kit just arrived!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

pity i now have to wait till wednesday to get it cause i am up at uni
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #2,289 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good. I'll be keeping an eye out. BTW whats the name of your company and do you have a web site up yet?

HFE, and no not yet. Give me 2 months.
wink.gif
Edit: Thats good news Smegger, take your time!

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #2,290 of 6,727
Nov 6, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #2,293 of 6,727
Haha. That's awesome!

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #2,294 of 6,727
Nice work TomB! I can just imagine you with an army of Maxes at a Head-Fi meet in one of those beauties. :wink:

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #2,295 of 6,727
Uh, I need one in 'balanced'...
icon10.gif

All in on that, and I need _at least_ two... in XL, por favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back