New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Nov 4, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #2,266 of 6,727
Well, in the true spirit of the Millett, I am quite happy with the apparent mid-level K42's that you have discovered for us. These sound great. I am listening to them in a BG MAX as I type this, and couldn't be happier with the sound. They've lifted the congestion of BG caps that still need break-in and have made them sound much smoother.

Even if the K75's are supposed to be better - so are the teflons. Neither is a realistic option in the Millett. Besides, maybe the "OTK" means these have very high grade paper and only the best oil.
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #2,269 of 6,727
Very interesting to know a bit more about Russian caps. Actually, I experimented with Russian caps for a while.
Some types I'm currently using are: K40Y-9 PIO in the MH Max, K75-10 PIO in the Bijou (these K75-10's are excellent
600smile.gif
) and of course... K72 Teflon in another MH Max.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #2,270 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to sell my millett for $65 shipped as is to someone who would like to fix it. It has essentially all the recommended parts and with all Nichicon Muse UKZ's (except powersupply and CA2, which are Panasonic FC). This will include the Triad Magnetics 24v 750mA wallwart.

You know, I wish we could type some magic words and make your problem go away. But we can't.

Please understand that there are many who will help you fix this - as evidenced by the size of this thread and the many posts - one of the largest of its type on Head-Fi to date. This help has even gone so far as shipping one person's amp(s) to another DIYer for repair - with successful results. I'm fairly certain those opportunities exist for you, too - if you want them.

On the other hand, attempting to sell your mistakes and expecting a purchase by one of those same DIYers within this thread may not meet with the same favor. I could be wrong about that, but in any event, this is the Millett MAX build-support thread in the Head-Fi "Do-It-Yourself" section, not a for sale thread where you can market the deal, lower the price, etc., etc.

If you have truly given up - without trying to accept the help that is freely offered - please post this in one of the many Head-Fi For Sale threads, instead. Thank you.

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #2,273 of 6,727
I've placed a new page on the MAX website for the K42Y-2 caps.

It can be found at Tweaks->K42 PIO Caps
I've put them on three MAX builds so far, including a BG MAX and see no reason to not recommend them as a basic part for the MAX. Many thanks, fordgtlover!

I will also be modifying the "MAX Boutique" page based on some important facts we've learned and also transferring that blow-by-blow account of biasing DB's when I get a chance.

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #2,274 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've placed a new page on the MAX website for the K42Y-2 caps.

It can be found at Tweaks->K42 PIO Caps
I've put them on three MAX builds so far, including a BG MAX and see no reason to not recommend them as a basic part for the MAX. Many thanks, fordgtlover!

Tomb

Excellent guide; above and beyond - once again.

Many thanks to you for your [huge] role in this excellent DIY project.

Cheers

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #2,276 of 6,727
Nice write up, Tom.
And while I'm writing.. anyone got a P/N for those center of board support stubs that go underneath? I forgot to get some.. I need to get some of that good hookup wire too (naviships, I spose..). maybe someone has some spare of both?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #2,278 of 6,727
Just curious. I have a non Max MH with BG's, would these caps be a recommended try with this amp. I'm not unhappy, but as we all know, can always be happier "maybe".
What do you think?

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #2,279 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice write up, Tom.
And while I'm writing.. anyone got a P/N for those center of board support stubs that go underneath? I forgot to get some.. I need to get some of that good hookup wire too (naviships, I spose..). maybe someone has some spare of both?
biggrin.gif

Nothing magical about the center post - just a 4-40 screw with a combination of spacers and a plastic nut on the end. You can do the same thing with a metal nut, though - just flex the board slightly as you push it in the case, then release when you've got it in place - assuming you care whether you get scrape marks on the inside bottom of your Hammond case.

The main point is that you have enough screw/bolt/washers so that whatever you put on the bottom - nut, plastic nut, standoff, etc. - is positively touching the bottom of the case. That's all that's needed to prevent the center part of the board from flexing in the downward direction. There's some flex upward when you remove tubes, but not nearly as much as pushing the tubes into the sockets.

I don't know if anyone has some Navships wire to spare, but it's very cheap on e-bay. John from Navships has impeccable service and reliability, too - highly recommended.

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #2,280 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the comments, guys. You've really bowled me over. Sometimes I start thinking nobody notices, but then you guys post comments like that. Many thanks!

well, I just wanted to pitch in some thanks to you and fordgtlover as well... thanks to the trial and error you guys put in and the nice write-up, I (as a low-level DIY'er) feel confident enough to try those myself.

I just ordered some and will put them in my second MAX (coupled with Nichicon KZ) and if I do like them after comparison, I still can replace my WIMAs in my first build as well.

Can't wait to try them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back