New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Sep 22, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #1,666 of 6,727
The experimental MAX mask has been corrected for the error in the power supply. I looked the mask over again and didn't see anything, so I will once again call it final. :wink: Still working on the ground plane/ top mask.Edit: Nothing is really final until top and bottom masks line up correctly. I can't say that I enjoy this process, because I would rather be populating a board, soldering, testing and listening! There will be a huge payoff, knowing that you have created a MAX from scratch and it sounds sooooo good! Almost like reaching outer space on your own amateur rocket! :wink:

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #1,667 of 6,727
this fade circuit is kinda interesting... I built it to see if it would work under the MAX tubes. I think the center LED pad on the MAX board could power the fader... I used a 100K trimpot to be able to change the speed of the fade. the chip is a LM1458
DSCN4087.jpg

eyes.gif

here is a little video (sorry I'm no Tangent)

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #1,669 of 6,727
I don't know if you guys caught this (I'm usually the last to know), but Pete Millett updated his "low-voltage hybrid headphone amp" pages to include a note about the MAX board and a link to the MAX website:

http://www.pmillett.com/hybrid_head.htm

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #1,670 of 6,727
Thats really great that Pete, was able to see the MAX. It looks like he was extremely busy and only just recently became aware of it. It seems that he was really blown away by it. Awesome!
icon10.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #1,671 of 6,727
Good idea Vixr!

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #1,672 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this fade circuit is kinda interesting... I built it to see if it would work under the MAX tubes. I think the center LED pad on the MAX board could power the fader... I used a 100K trimpot to be able to change the speed of the fade. the chip is a LM1458
eyes.gif

vixr that's awesome! I have seen some circuits that take a far larger chip to do what you just designed, so kudos to you. This is something I want to incorporate into a design later this year, so may I use it? (I'll definitely give you a shoutout!)

bhjazz...the LED monkey
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #1,673 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is something I want to incorporate into a design later this year, so may I use it?

by all means, use it... I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought it was cool. the litte proto board measures 1.750"x 1.50", radioshack P/N 276-0150... You could probably do a much neater job building it...BTW the trimpot is in place of the bottom center 47K resistor in the schematic, right above the "D" in Drawn by...the video shows the fader in its slowest rate, the fastest rate just stays on...

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #1,674 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats really great that Pete, was able to see the MAX. It looks like he was extremely busy and only just recently became aware of it. It seems that he was really blown away by it. Awesome!
icon10.gif

Pete's been aware of the MAX concept from the moment that we (Colin really) started experimenting with the design again. And like every other revision of the hybrid I sent him a copy of the pcb (both the proto and final production version) so that he has a record of how the design progresses. I only mention this because I think asking permission is an important part of the process and shouldn't be overlooked.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #1,675 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pete's been aware of the MAX concept from the moment that we (Colin really) started experimenting with the design again. And like every other revision of the hybrid I sent him a copy of the pcb (both the proto and final production version) so that he has a record of how the design progresses. I only mention this because I think asking permission is an important part of the process and shouldn't be overlooked.

Of course! Many thanks for you doing just that, Nate.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #1,677 of 6,727
Thanks for the info Nate! Its very interesting to know the twists and turns that preceded the building of the first MAX. :wink: Edit: Also, thank you for your efforts/contributions that helped to bring the MAX to life! btw, what is your feeling about the sharing of the official MAX mask images, both top and bottom? It would be better quality than what the "experimental" mask is going to be. You are absolutely right about the permission being sought, for any designers intellectual property. Pete Millett's site describes very well what he expects from those who use his designs.

Ron

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #1,680 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone used AKG K601 headphones with their MAX?

I normally use Grado SR60s but I rather like the idea of giving a pair of K601s a go.

We have a couple of builders confirm that the MAX drives K701s very well. If the headphones are similar, the MAX shouldn't have any problem with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back