New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Aug 20, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #1,111 of 6,727
Aug 20, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #1,113 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tomb... bad gateway error message on the link...double http

Oops - I keep copying links and forget Head-Fi already prefixes with "http://". It's fixed.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #1,114 of 6,727
woohoo lsdiodes arrived!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can continue with the sockets now, and everything taller. rsisrael has my forgotten heat sinks that I'll pick up tomorrow and all being well, another one will live
biggrin.gif

nice build scoot, but I'm wondering what led you to load CA3 with those caps?

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,116 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice build scoot, but I'm wondering what led you to load CA3 with those caps?

Well I had planned to use those Soniqs on all film cap places just for the heck of it but ran out of space at CA8, those sinks get fairly toasty and I didnt want to shove a film cap right up next to one.

As for the Soniqs, they can be picked up off eBay cheap as

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #1,117 of 6,727
Why would some MAXs need the grounding wire from the pot when others don't? (Yeah I've got a live one here (DB) but touching the pot at full volume (12AE6A tubes) produces ground hum......no touch no hum......wire seems to solve the problem)......all my setup measurements came off without a hitch 27V/13.5V/70mV

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #1,118 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by babbkutz@comcast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would some MAXs need the grounding wire from the pot when others don't? (Yeah I've got a live one here (DB) but touching the pot at full volume (12AE6A tubes) produces ground hum......no touch no hum......wire seems to solve the problem)......all my setup measurements came off without a hitch 27V/13.5V/70mV

If the Alps pot is mounted on a metal face plate (assuming the face plate is conductive), the Alps pot is already connected to GND via the face plate... thus grounding wire is superfluous. But if the Alps pot is mounted on a non-metal face plate (wooden, plastics...) or an uncased amp, then a grounding wire is necessary to connect the Alps pot to GND.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #1,119 of 6,727
Quote:

Scooot:
She lives!

Thats one swanky case! How do you like your sound with the big film caps?

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #1,120 of 6,727
Quote:

ruZZ.il:
woohoo lsdiodes arrived! I can continue with the sockets now, and everything taller. rsisrael has my forgotten heat sinks that I'll pick up tomorrow and all being well, another one will live

Congrats! Looks like you beat me by one week. :wink:

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #1,121 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Alps pot is mounted on a metal face plate (assuming the face plate is conductive), the Alps pot is already connected to GND via the face plate... thus grounding wire is superfluous. But if the Alps pot is mounted on a non-metal face plate (wooden, plastics...) or an uncased amp, then a grounding wire is necessary to connect the Alps pot to GND.
wink.gif

Ferrari is correct.

Also, the recommended Hammond case is insulated by the anodizing. Unless the pot shaft makes contact with the edges of the drilled hole, the grounding wire is needed.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #1,122 of 6,727
I think I expected these orange drops to be smaller. Deceiving name.
orange_drops.jpg

I'm guessing I'm going to leave these until last to install creatively, heh

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #1,123 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by odoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few of us got some Vitamin Q's that are a little worse than that. That said, they look pretty flat. If you're doing a BJT version, you may have room to mount them under the board.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #1,124 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! Looks like you beat me by one week. :wink:

Not so quickly
rolleyes.gif
I hadnt been around most of the day, but I got around to 'finishing it up'
biggrin.gif
The PS works and is set to 22v in the meantime, LED's... bright
biggrin.gif
but I'm having issues biasing the tube voltages, and the right channel DB current. QB8/9R bias at a minimum of around 170ma and respond to the trimpot going upwards. With a tube in, this just shoots to around 1A
confused.gif
, and gets too hot(unplug). I've made sure I got the right value components(visually) in their places, and the transistors read sane values when I check the 2 forward bias (diode check) values too (the left seem to bias as expected). I think it may be cause I had all my trimpots completely loosened(anti clockwise) when I powered up, instead of 'trimmed down'(clockwise, it seems) for about 20~30s till I got to that check. The tube voltages both seems to be at at about 18.5v, and don't respond to trimming(throughout the whole range)
confused.gif
so I'll troubleshoot some more tomorrow, with more detail/pics to see if anyone can pick anything up too. I have a feeling I'll be waiting for some transistors now
tongue.gif
off to zzz though and thanks to anyone who has anything to say in the meantime
biggrin.gif

Also, are these sonicap genIIs polarized
tongue.gif
?
-ruZZ

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #1,125 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by odoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't forget the possibility of mounting them vertically. The leads look long enough that you may be able to upend them. I've done this before with smaller parts and had no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back