New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jul 30, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #646 of 6,727
I can't believe there aren't any completed builds yet! We've had these boards for more than 48 hours.. :wink:

I had two shiny new boards sitting on my desk when I got to work this morning. Sadly, I have not even begun to think about ordering parts.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #647 of 6,727
I have all my parts, well for single ended anyway... balanced reinforcements by Wednesday, well except for casing... oh, and cans.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #648 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a very sad diyer right now... 2 beautiful Max boards sitting on my desk and no cash to populate them.... sigh....

amen brother! I think I'm going to order parts anyway...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had two shiny new boards sitting on my desk when I got to work this morning. Sadly, I have not even begun to think about ordering parts.

I've got 3 and I'm going through finalizing my BOM right now

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #649 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amen brother! I think I'm going to order parts anyway...

Yeah, I know it. The wife keeps a pretty tight stranglehold on the ol' wallet, but I might just drop the $300 I am planning on spending on this amp and suffer the consequences. Should be able to climb out of the hole she puts me in after a couple of days....

*walks off to ponder if MMAX is worth a near death experience...*

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #650 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I know it. The wife keeps a pretty tight stranglehold on the ol' wallet, but I might just drop the $300 I am planning on spending on this amp and suffer the consequences. Should be able to climb out of the hole she puts me in after a couple of days....

*walks off to ponder if MMAX is worth a near death experience...*

lol, yeah well I'm kinda broke right now, but my wife has known for some time that I've wanted to build the Max, so she hasn't said anything about me not ordering the parts and I've been very open with her about putting together my BOM so...idk

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #651 of 6,727
Hey guys, I've got a couple more questions when it comes to caps. I've been reading Art of Electronics lately and I am starting to get a grip on solid state electronics; tube stuff is still beyond me. Why are the CA2/CA9 caps "in the signal pathway", and therefore important to use "nice sounding" ones there? It looks to me like they just go to ground....? Do they provide a pathway to ground for any DC voltage from the input, like a low pass filter?

As far as settling on caps goes, I am sticking with BG NX 680uF caps for the CA7 positions, and Auricap .47uF caps for the CA8 positions. If I am calculating correctly that gives me a -3dB point of 4.4 Hz, for the resistance that the two caps in parallel see (RB14 + RA4 in parallel with 32ohm grado cans). If I increase the RB14 resistor to, say, 40 ohms I can drop that down to a -3dB point of 3.3 Hz. In the first case I'd think you would get a flat frequency response from about 40Hz and up; for the second I'd expect one from about 30 Hz and up. For those of you who have worked with the prototype amps, any idea how well the trade-off value is for doing something like that? I understand that you would lose some gain, but a I have read that losing some of the gain would be a pretty good idea for grados anyway.

If I am right about CA2/CA9 positions being a low pass filter, I thought that for amps where the inputs and outputs are both capacitively coupled you needed to increase the capacitance at both the output and input in order to get the -3dB point at the frequency where you want it? Wouldn't that call for even larger caps at the CA7/CA8 position as well? Or would "overcompensating" at the CA2 position with the 1000uF caps remedy the situation and allow for the typical values at the CA7/CA8 positions.

One last thing, I've yet to see the symbols on the schematic labeled "TA2L1" and the like. They look kind of like paint brushes or fountain pins. What do they mean?

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #652 of 6,727
YEEAHH I got mine too!!

It's so little, I love it!!! The MH, DBs, delay circuit, and PS all on that little board!! Great job Colin, and thanks again!!

Just wish I had the time/money/experience to build it now...ahh whatever, this whole head-fi thing is really a journey for each individual anyway. wow I'm gettin all philosophical now
cool.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #653 of 6,727
I think I figured out the "paintbrush" looking things; those are the points where the biasing measurements are made, correct?

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #655 of 6,727
Well Boards came today and my Percy order did too sooo this is what happened tonight.
wink.gif

Abought as far as I can go. I ordered the wrong Wallwart so Had to reorder the 1000ma version sunday. nother day or so and I can get it all dialed in. Now to design a case.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #657 of 6,727
Troyhoot, what caps did you use in the boutique positions? Looks like Muses with auricap bypass, but what capacity are they?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #658 of 6,727
Used 1000 KZ muse for all caps. Auricap .22 uf in C9 and 1.00uf in C8. Also a 39ohm Kiwame in R14. Will be running 32 ohm cans.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #660 of 6,727
Got my boards today. Arg! I've been so busy at work, and I still have to put the finishing touches on my SOHA (1/4" jack instead of 1/8" jack I was testing with and widening the tube hole for a rubber gasket), I was determined to wait on building this for a couple months. Nope. It looks sweet. I want to make it NOW.

Curse you, DIY!

So I guess I'm making some orders tomorrow. Can anyone think of anything I should be getting from Radio Daze besides the tubes and sockets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back