New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
May 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #136 of 6,727
Wow, what a beautiful-looking project website... I'm even more tempted to ignore others' advice to do a Pimeta first and skip directly to this.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #139 of 6,727
I have to go ahead and chime in to sing the praises of Tom, Colin, Nate and the rest of the Millet MAX team...absolutely great work, guys! Thanks for putting in the extra effort to make the MAX something that pretty much all of us can build and enjoy!

May 21, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #140 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a couple of sections still under development, but here it is:

http://www.diyforums.org/MAX
MAXico.gif

Very very impress website. Bravo for the excellent job.

Quote:

Maybe we can make some money on the T-shirts, though. Nate?
tongue.gif

I will buy one!

May 21, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #142 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll be pleased with what Tom (tomb) has come up with for the MAX build. He's put some serious time and effort into it and it shows. Nothing against mb3k's guides of course, they are wonderfully put together as well.

I will leave this one to the rightful individuals that made the max possible. I'll enjoy being the receivers' end this one around.

Quote:

There are a couple of sections still under development, but here it is:

http://www.diyforums.org/MAX
MAXico.gif

Just lovely
600smile.gif

May 21, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #144 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, what a beautiful-looking project website... I'm even more tempted to ignore others' advice to do a Pimeta first and skip directly to this.
icon10.gif

Although Colin did a great job with this board, giving us a clean and open layout, debugging it if something goes wrong could be a problem if you do not have a lot of building skills. Mainly I'm thinking about the diamond buffers, which are intrinsically no easier to debug than a PPA, which can be a bear to debug (based on what I have seen on various threads- ask Nate), but also the fact that the power supply is very integrally tied into the amp. If you have a short somewhere, for example, you can't even easily pinpoint it between the PSU and the amp, as you could with a Pimeta which requires some sort of off-board power, either battery or a Tread type AC supply.

I'm not saying don't build it now, and you certainly should get your boards now when they are available, but I personally don't think this is a good beginner project for someone at the level of just considering a Pimeta, for example.

Just my very HO...

Neil

May 21, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #145 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellomai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will buy one!

I'm going to nip this one in the bud, there are no plans to market T-shirts. It's sort of an inside joke amongst some of us.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #146 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although Colin did a great job with this board, giving us a clean and open layout, debugging it if something goes wrong could be a problem if you do not have a lot of building skills. Mainly I'm thinking about the diamond buffers, which are intrinsically no easier to debug than a PPA, which can be a bear to debug (based on what I have seen on various threads- ask Nate), but also the fact that the power supply is very integrally tied into the amp. If you have a short somewhere, for example, you can't even easily pinpoint it between the PSU and the amp, as you could with a Pimeta which requires some sort of off-board power, either battery or a Tread type AC supply.

I'm not saying don't build it now, and you certainly should get your boards now when they are available, but I personally don't think this is a good beginner project for someone at the level of just considering a Pimeta, for example.

Just my very HO...

Neil

I agree very much with Neil. I don't know if you remember Neil, but last year, you helped me out troubleshooting last year with my first Millett. I had only built a CMoy at that point, and it was tough just doing a regular Millett, let alone a maxed out amp with MOSFET buffers. I think maybe you should build a PIMETA as a nice portable amp, and once you are comfortable soldering and with theory, then move on to the Millett. Definately join in on the group buy though!

May 22, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #147 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to nip this one in the bud, there are no plans to market T-shirts. It's sort of an inside joke amongst some of us.
biggrin.gif

Start selling t-shirts and they'll make you a member of the trade!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Actually, they probably would.
plainface.gif

May 22, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #149 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will anyone be selling matched transistors or even entire kits?

Also, do you have to choose between the diamond buffers or MOSFETs? If so, what are the differences in sound?

I don't think there are any plans to sell complete kits, although the majority of the parts can be aquired from Mouser, minus Alps pot and some other things. Yes, you can either have the diamond buffer output stage or the MOSFET stage, not both. I have the MOSFET version, the second one to be built, behind Neil, who troubleshot the correct parts list for it. I can't comment on sound differences as I've only got the MOSFET version, but it sounds pretty sweet to me. You can get matched MOSFETs from AMBs site, which is what I did, along with the volume pot.

One technical advantage of the MOSFETs is that they can be biased much higher than the BJT diamond buffer. I've got mine set at 250mV or about 114mA current on each channel! Bodacious!

Others can probably add more to this than I can, but I hope it provides a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back