New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Mar 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #3,766 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's time to eat humble pie....RB2L,2R,3L,3R. I have 10K ohm instread of 10 ohm!! I am a twit. JW

's OK. Sometimes it takes going through the process of troubleshooting before we ever notice that a part is wrong. The nice thing is that we are lucky when that happens, because the solution is pretty certain.

Glad to see you found something! Success is around the corner, hopefully!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #3,767 of 6,727
Well another one lives. Here is how far I am so far. I still have to etch the front and rear panels and make the top panel. I also need to get the rest of the polishing compound out of the side recesses.
tongue.gif
All in all I am super pleased with the max. It sounds incredible and makes me want to listen to all my music again. Big thanks to everyone who was and is involved with bringing the max to the DIY community.
biggrin.gif

315zrtg.jpg

2dkwdwj.jpg

2zflumd.jpg

2cicxnm.jpg

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3,769 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cronic, are those 1.5" sinks? You usin mosfets or is that just the kit from jeff? I might recommend replacing your output resistors (RB14s) with jumpers, as I've heard that the V-Ds crapify the sound in those positions

edit: actually I got that from the max site Millett Hybrid MAX Boutique at the bottom of that page

Yes, they are 1.5". I am not using mosfets yet, but I may in the future. In hind site I should have gotten a kit from jeff, but I did it the old fashion way and ordered from 4 different places.
tongue.gif
I will jumper rb14l/r very shortly. That was an oversight on my part. Thanks for the good eye bud.
tongue.gif

I got them jumpered now and the music seems to have more pop or impact ( for lack of a better term ) than it did before. Thanks for the help.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #3,771 of 6,727
Thats great news JW! Another Max Lives!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

How do you like the sound?

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #3,774 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats great news JW! Another Max Lives!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

How do you like the sound?

Thanks AH! Sounds great! Some Paul Simon.Dave Grusin,Jean-Luc Ponty,Steely Dan,Johnny Adams,Sting etc. I'm glad I put in the TKD pot. I've always used Noble ( still a great choice). I went with a 250k ohm TKD. JW

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #3,775 of 6,727
Congratulations, cronic and John. Enjoy your MAXes.

I just wanted to inquire of the gurus. I used to have Muses bypassed with K42s, but I wasn't getting enough bass information. I thought the Muses were the bass monsters, but I definitely wasn't getting the slam like my PIMETA and car system typically give me. I threw in some Silmic IIs bypassed only at CA7 with the K42s. It is all currently burning in, but I'm wondering what I can do to increase the bass. I have 1000uF at CA2, 470uF at CA7, but some of my reference tracks are coming up shy. I have the ES, Std BGs, some Panny FCs and FMs, and there are the Slimic IIs already inside them. Something went wrong with the VitQs, so I took them out because I didn't feel like troubleshooting that. I feel kind of bad going to my PIMETA all the time because the MAX leaves me kind of hungry for bass. I love the MAX, but it's not doing what I want it to. =T

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #3,776 of 6,727
Yeah, congrats Cronic!!! Another Max Lives! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Nice looking build!

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #3,777 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations, cronic and John. Enjoy your MAXes.

I just wanted to inquire of the gurus. I used to have Muses bypassed with K42s, but I wasn't getting enough bass information. I thought the Muses were the bass monsters, but I definitely wasn't getting the slam like my PIMETA and car system typically give me. I threw in some Silmic IIs bypassed only at CA7 with the K42s. It is all currently burning in, but I'm wondering what I can do to increase the bass. I have 1000uF at CA2, 470uF at CA7, but some of my reference tracks are coming up shy. I have the ES, Std BGs, some Panny FCs and FMs, and there are the Slimic IIs already inside them. Something went wrong with the VitQs, so I took them out because I didn't feel like troubleshooting that. I feel kind of bad going to my PIMETA all the time because the MAX leaves me kind of hungry for bass. I love the MAX, but it's not doing what I want it to. =T

Hey Jonee. Mine from the start isn't to bad. I can hear a little sibilance...just a little. But that's the caps...after burn in it should sound better. So many factors! I have the 680 uf BG's at the output bypassed by the 0.47 uf BG NX. I'm using my Sony DAT with a batt power supply. (4.5 amps) And had some monster cable made for ipods (single 1/8 in. to two RCA's) By the way I'm not into ipods. Ok bass. Then I used a 1/8 inch with two FRCA's and put on my Kimber Hero interconnect with locking WBT ends...WOW more bass! More detail, more air and attack! So many factors! JW

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #3,778 of 6,727
I am sure this has been covered before, but searching this thread is really hard!:

Is it possible to build a one of these at a lower gain (say around 3) without degrading SQ due to resistors?

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #3,779 of 6,727
In short, no.

The millett tube with the lowest gain is the 12FK6, which has a gain of about 7, but the Millett has some negative gain so I believe its around 5 with the FK6. Adding output resistors isn't reducing the gain, but rather attenuating, and like you said, to do it that much will hurt the dynamics of the amp. What do you need a gain that low for? I use mine with MS-1s and KSC75s, both very easy to drive cans, and I don't find the gain to be too high at all..in fact I'm considering trying one of the higher gain tubes. It is an awesome amp and I'd definitely recommend it, particularly Boutique Build #1 from the Max site

Users who are viewing this thread

Back