New member, New Headphones.
Jul 4, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 28
graphic equaliser is that thing that looks like a graph you sometimes find in your stereo thing.

if you use computer, when you open windows media player, if you go to :

View - Now playing tool , there is an option for graphic equaliser there.

then you can set and adjust the bass volume, treble, mid range, etc...

but basically i think there will be enough bass already from A500 since i dont think its a bass-shy kind of headphone.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #21 of 28
hmmm....maybe....
both cans are very popular for computer use, and great budget cans.
well...sort of budget headphone in this forum, hehe..

so maybe the deciding factor is isolation and comfort then ?
i never heard HD555, so i cant give you my opinion on that phone.

i was thinking to recommend you AD5 (again, hehe...) but since its for computer use, and you might need some sort of isolation, so i hold off that feeling....

use a search function and find info about these two cans, read as much as you can (researching is half the fun of buying a new stuff in my opinion), and then you can decide which one is for you.

i think 3lusiv3 has both headphones. try sending him a message, and ask his opinion for both cans.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 28
I had the MS1s and 555s side by side for a bit, and overall I preferred the Alessandros for sound. I thought that were a tad smoother across its bubble range arch. Female vocals especially came alive. They sang a bit more. And they were more detailed. The Senns though had a more even keel/balance, soundstage was dramatically better, and instrument separated was a bit better. Plus they obviously win on build quality. In the same league, just depends on preferences. If the A500 is close to the CD780 in overall quality (a comparison was once made triangulating off the A900), I'd likely place the Senns and Alessandros above it, but again I haven't heard the A500. We need to get all the 'budget' cans together for a test.
wink.gif

This is all based on music though, I'm not much of a gamer.

Jul 4, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #23 of 28
Having personally gone from the Z-540's to the Grado SR-80's, I can say it's a huge improvement and I'm definitely going to suggest you get the MS-1's, as they're even better. You WILL be amazed, trust me. I was, even after getting my Klipsch PM4.1's.

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
wow... 150 AUS$ for 555 ? where can i get it ?
can you give me the link please ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I second (third) the recommendation of A500s if closed cans are required. If you want them for a lan party, this will block out the noises of the people around you, which is probably a good thing.

If you go for open they'll probably sound a bit better, but won't block any noise out. Sennheiser 555s can be had for US$100-$110 from places like here, not including postage. froogle.com will find more prices for you.

You won't need a headphone amp with either of them.

Jul 5, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #27 of 28
I'm in the same boat in that I want to upgrade my aging (and synthetic sounding) HD200, but am not sure what to spring for. Computer use exclusivlely, and they have to be closed. The greater isolation the better.

The ath-500 are getting pimped really heavily on here, but noone seems to have thrown them through a good comparison test with the other phones out there. Anyone actually tried them?

Does noone recommend the HD-280 anymore? The HD-280 are the phones I've been dallying over pulling the trigger - I just wish that I could hear a pair first and give them a real chance to impress me - as they sound like a real "love them/hate them" purchase. Also the recent incidents of cracking and don't inspire confidence (though my heavily used four year old HD200s look like new).

The other closed offering that I've got my eye on is the HD25-1, but at $199USD (ex shipping) I just can't justify them, which is a shame. I tried the HD25-SP which is the inferior little brother and was more impressed than I thought I would be.

Jul 5, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I thought it had something to do with social life on a Saturday night.
wink.gif

Hmm, well, with a three-year-old and a six-week-old at home, no, I don't get out much on Saturday nights anymore. What's your excuse?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back