New member, new dumb question about Schiit Modi Multibit
Aug 2, 2022 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aexea

New Head-Fier
So I'm planning to combo the Schiit Modi Multibit dac with a topping A90 to drive balanced headphones. Is the Modi Multibit a balanced DAC? if not, does that mean it's a waste to pair it with the topping A90 and to use balanced cables with headphones?

Trying to figure out if I need a balanced DAC to pair with the A90. Hopefully, this isn't a dumb question.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 8
The A90 has jacks for unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR) input. You can use either a balanced or unbalanced DAC with it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks gimmeheadroom, one follow-up question, if it goes headphones --> balanced cable --> unbalanced DAC --> balanced AMP, does having an unbalanced DAC in the pipeline impact the overall setup at all?

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks gimmeheadroom, one follow-up question, if it goes headphones --> balanced cable --> unbalanced DAC --> balanced AMP, does having an unbalanced DAC in the pipeline impact the overall setup at all?
I went through this exercise 2-3 weeks ago. The answer is…it depends.

You’ll need to know more about the balanced design of each device throughout the signal path. Manufacturers can design balanced setups differently even within their product lines to meet price points. Doesn’t look like the Modi is balanced.

For example, I know Cayin does balanced different across their product line. I have a Cayin RU6 Dongle DAC that is not a complete true balanced design, but it is balanced in the definition in that the L/R channels don’t share a common ground. They offer up design details in the product description to explain. Schiit (Jason) usually is pretty transparent also.

My setup goes iBasso DX320 4.4mm balanced line out, to Schiit Jotunheim 2 XLR balanced in, balanced out 4.4mm to mini XLR (balanced) for an Audeze LCD-X 2021 planar headphone. Compared to using the same setup via the 3.5mm non balanced signal path, the balanced soundstage is bigger, gives each instrument a bit more of an individual space.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 8
I would keep the Mimby (multi-bit modi) and connect it to the RCA or XLR with adapters, as the connection is grounded, while chip supplies are replenished and new DACs are produced. Right now many DAC chips are still in short supply and new AK chips are supposed to be released right about now, so once those new DACs are shipped, you can do more research into what type of DAC upgrade you want.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 8

Balanced audio connections are about rejecting electrical noise. Even today there a plenty of single-ended (non-balanced) amps and sources from top manufacturers including high-end. The main thing is simply that you have to be to connect your DAC to your amp and your headphones to your amp. All the variations in ways to connect things may or may not change the sound audibly and how things sound depend on the whole chain (i.e. all the gear being used at the time.)

1659496314004.png

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks gimmeheadroom, one follow-up question, if it goes headphones --> balanced cable --> unbalanced DAC --> balanced AMP,

It's DAC > analogue interconnect cable > Headphone amp > headphone cable > headphone. The DAC can't be between the headphone amp and the headphone that the headphone amp will drive.

...does having an unbalanced DAC in the pipeline impact the overall setup at all?

Depends.

Line level single ended output is typically lower voltage compared to balanced. Typically ~2V vs ~4V. You could make SE line signals higher but like in car audio that's only useful for that 1000w amp driving the subwoofers - the rest of the processor/headunit's output will still be set at a lower level to minimize noise. Balanced connections can go higher in voltage before noise becomes a problem.

Some amps driving certain headphones would still get enough gain out of their preamp and have enough power in the amplifier output stage that the only difference is how far you turn the knob. In other cases, this may not be the case, ie lower power headphone amp at the nominal impedance of the headphone, lower sensitivity headphone, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back