New member looking to discuss about TEAC UD-505 DAC-AMP
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Marvin42

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm freshly new on this forum but i've been visiting from time to time looking for advice or answer mostly about headphones and how to make the most out of it. In the late 2018 i've acquired a TEAC UD-505 and i'm looking to discuss with maybe some other user who has it or maybe the former version the UD-503.

I'm currently driving an AKG K701 whit it that i'm really enjoying and my "working" headphones the Beyer-Dynamic DT990 PRO sound good too (round and punchy sound is good for the ears sometimes). I've got a bunch of vintage headphones but i'm not using them everyday but from time to time just for the joy of it.

If anyone want to share, please feel welcome !

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 24
I do not own this model but did a quick search on the forum and found a 35-page thread on the prior TEAC model UD-503. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/teac-ud-503-dac-2015-new-release-dxd-dsd256.771501/

Also someone else created a thread wanting information about the UD-505 but no one replied. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/teac-nt-505-ud-505-u-s-release-date.876131/

Otherwise you can create your own UD-505 thread in the Dedicated Source Components section since that's where owners and would-be owners congregate and discuss their audio toys. https://www.head-fi.org/forums/dedicated-source-components.7/

May 21, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 24
Hi there, I got my UD-505 last week. It's the 100V Japanese version so I got a 100V\120V converter box to make sure I don't damage the box when using it in Canada\US. So far qui pleased with it. It has about 50 hours of runtime. On the side I have the Schiit Modi MB and the Violectric V200 (with XMOS Dac 24\192). So far I only tried with the Astell & Kern T1P (Beyerdynamic). I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T5P v2 but haven't tried yet with the UD-505. At home I pretty much use open air headphones all the time.

So far the best combination (and by far to my ears) among what I have is when using the UD-505 as a DAC into the Violectric V200. I really like the AKM4497 chipset of the UD-505. I find the Modi Multibit too laid back and the XMOS 24\192 in my V200 sounding too busy, harsh and in your face. The 4497 is the best of both worlds in terms of resolution, smoothness and spatial instruments positioning. Was hoping that the UD-505 amp portion would rival the V200 but it's a no contest... at least after 50 hours behind the UD-505 belt. The V200 is much faster pace, better bass control and brighter (funny saying that from the V200). No doub the V280\V281 would sound absolutely fanstastic with the UD-505 as a DAC. The UD-505 amp portion is darker with rolled-off highs so far. I tried the 4.4mm balanced input with my AK T1P and I can't hear the difference from the single ended 6.3mm for the short period I tested out. I will write an update shortly. Cheers

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 24
Upgrade?

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 24
Just stumbled upon this, is the Teac UD-505 still a got option atm? It looks outstandingly solid...

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 24
Try listening to this with the external 10mHz clock. Totally transforms the NT-503 into an amazing sounding DAC.

I use the Gustard C16 low level output ("gentle" I think they call it).

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 24
I got the UD-505, very happy with it. Now I'm gonna pair it with a Rega Io for speakers.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 24
Try listening to this with the external 10mHz clock. Totally transforms the NT-503 into an amazing sounding DAC.

I use the Gustard C16 low level output ("gentle" I think they call it).
Is an external 10MHz clock here audibly better also for not upconverted sampling, or is it only better for DSD mode...
The Gustard C16 is half the price of the Teac CG-10M ..

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 24
Is an external 10MHz clock here audibly better also for not upconverted sampling, or is it only better for DSD mode...
The Gustard C16 is half the price of the Teac CG-10M ..
Audibly notably better. Life is fleeting, I now am using the Singxer SU2 to convert USB to Coax and feed that to the NT-503 and the C16 clock into the Singxer. Just slightly better high frequency detail. Same wide soundstage as the C16 into the NT-503 that turns the room into the performance space though. Looks like you can get an inexpensive TXCO `10mHz on ebay for around $175 though. May be worth trying that. It certainly appears that TEAC crippled the 503 with a bad USB clock in order to.... what sell their $1.5K clock? For a $1K DAC? Not sure what the motivation was. But I like you can only observe and wonder.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 24
I ordered the ifi < active USB cabel Mercury3.0 & iPurifier3 > as sound changed already much to the better with an QED USB Reference cable..still soundstage too narrow, a little on the dark side ( similar to other QED ferrite covered cables ), but at least it is possible to o.k. listen now - a bit too dull..
I will get the C16 clock..
For me the < upconvert > in the UD 503 Menu switched to < off > gives the best tonal balance up to now...
I use WLAN to connect the router to a labtop, as for an ethernet cable connection I need to drill walls..do you think it is worthwhile trying ? Audio ethernet cables can be quite pricy..any recommendations here ? I am a TIDAL newbee - any tricks here ?
thank you..

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 24
I ordered the ifi < active USB cabel Mercury3.0 & iPurifier3 > as sound changed already much to the better with an QED USB Reference cable..still soundstage too narrow, a little on the dark side ( similar to other QED ferrite covered cables ), but at least it is possible to o.k. listen now - a bit too dull..
I will get the C16 clock..
For me the < upconvert > in the UD 503 Menu switched to < off > gives the best tonal balance up to now...
I use WLAN to connect the router to a labtop, as for an ethernet cable connection I need to drill walls..do you think it is worthwhile trying ? Audio ethernet cables can be quite pricy..any recommendations here ? I am a TIDAL newbee - any tricks here ?
thank you..
I think the Singxer SU2 is a cheaper way to go and use your coax input on your DAC. I don't use wifi or LAN, I have just 2TB on my linux computer attached. But when I listen to 44.1K stuff on wifi I don't notice any hiccups. Depends on strength of your signal too I suppose. You use a NAS?

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 24
the iPurifier3 is effective from the first note on, much better soundstage...also this Mercury cable is clearly more open than the QED reference (but my QED is 2m long, the Mercury 50cm).
I think of using a 10 MHz clock from NewClassD, and of getting a Teac NT505 because of its MQA rendering option..
I will try also the igalvanic from IFI..
Sound now comes closer to my various Sony CD players (CDP XA7 modded and original, xa 5400), by the way I use the great PioSound Eagle electrostatic loudspeakers for speaker listening, 009 Stax for headphones..
have fun

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 24
I got my new teac ud505 couple days ago and very happy with it, plus I bought for very good price, open box, but looks like never been open, for $865 , compare to 503, 505 better in all aspects, more details, sound much better, now I’m comparing between rme adi2dac and cannot choose wich one I like more, sound different but teac has more clean and detail sound

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 24
I've owned 2 UD-503's and currently have a UD-505. I prefer the UD-505 as it seems to capture more detail while being equally enjoyable to listen to for hours on end. The Gustard A20H gets an honorable mention for being very similar to TEAC's offerings in terms of Sound Quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back