New Member -- Looking for Portable Over-Ear Headphone Suggestions
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Daniel Kramnik

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

My name is Daniel Kramnik, I'm a college student (working on my undergraduate in physics and EE, rising sophomore) interested in DIY audio and headphones. I've been building my own audio equipment for about a year now; it started with speakers and tube amps, but now I've become interested in headphones after listening to my friend's Stax SR-007 clones through his DIY Blue Hawaii amplifier. Wow, those completely blew away anything I had ever heard before!

Some audio projects I've done are a 13EM7 single-ended tube amplifier, back-loaded horn speakers based on the Fostex FE126En full range driver (the Madisound BK-12M kit), and a 12AT7-KT88 (or EL34) single-ended tube amplifier. I'm currently working on designing a wireless portable class D amplifier for electrostatic headphones.

Here's my equipment:

Source:
Enlightened Audio Designs DSP-1000 Series III DAC (a lucky find -- only $20 at a local swap meet!)

Speaker System:
12AT7-KT88 SE amplifier -> Fostex horns

Headphone System:
13EM7 DIY SET amplifier -> Stax SRD-6 transformer box -> Stax SR-5 electrostatic headphones with SR-007 leather earpad upgrade
Audio Technica ESW-9 portable closed back dynamic headphones

Mostly, I've been able to get all of these nice things by building them myself or patiently waiting around on eBay for good deals.

Here's my first ever question to the forum: Right now, I'm trying to replace my Audio Technica ESW-9s because they just don't seem to fit my head right and I want a more exciting set of portable headphones anyway! Even though my Stax SR-5s don't really compare to my friend's SR-007 clones, they're still miles ahead of many other headphones I have heard and I've become addicted to their excellent transient response and clarity (at least, that's what I think I'm hearing). I read a lot about Hifiman magnetic planar headphones, but was a bit disappointed when I listened to their HE-300 [open-back dynamic] and HE-400 [open-back planar] headphones, with and without amplification on top of my iPhone. It's possible that their higher-end systems sound better, but I'm not ready to spend that much on a pair of headphones (...yet? uh oh 
tongue_smile.gif
).

So, what do you all recommend? I've been looking at building a pair of Thunderpants (modified Fostex T50RP) headphones, but I'd be willing to go for open-back headphones, even in a portable setting, which I believe should open up more possibilities. I'd prefer to spend no more than $300 on this purchase, and I'd be willing to build a small headphone amplifier, so difficulty of driving these headphones isn't a big concern for me. I included the Hifiman HE-400s in my considerations because they can be had in used condition for around $300 with some careful eBaying.

Thanks!
Daniel

Oh, and those Audio Technica ESW-9 headphones are for sale, if you're interested PM me 
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 2
I've posted part of your intro in the Stax thread. The guys there will be interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back