New member looking for new headphones (and amp?)
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Willy83

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, recently moved from the Netherlands to Germany and I'm looking for my first pair of serious headphones.

My current setup is:
Musical Fidelity M6i
Musical Fidelity M6CD
Musical Fidelity Vinyl
Transrotor ZET3 with Benz Glider needle and SME 309 arm
B&W CM9 speakers

The headphones I'm looking for will be used on both my game stations as well as on my Hi-Fi setup.

Currently I have a Sennheiser Game One (open back with microphone). The mic is not required as I have a USB mic.
The amp I'm currently using is the Astro Mixamp TR.

Innitially I thought I buy a pair of DT990 and that's it, but spending again money in the 100-150 euro league I don't expect HUGE improvements (sure it will be superior).

Some initial contenders i had were the AKG-K712 (220,-), DT990 (120,-) or the AD700x (200,-) all German Amazon prices.

Then I thought, since the price of the AD700x is in the US much closer to the DT990 it wouldn't make sense to spend so much more money in Germany that it's worth on paper.

So my next contender at the moment are DT1990, T1 or something else in that price range. Prefer the price of the DT1990 since they need also a descent amp, especially on my Hi-Fi setup.
Looking at prices, i believe the Beyerdynamic's are here reasonably priced compared to the US prices which would tip me over their direction.

No special preference for the amp, but I was looking at some Feliks amps or the currently in development K7 (DAC/AMP). My mixup would then be used in combination with the Feliks amp.

many thanks for your help in my headphone quest.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 18
Hallo neighbor,

What kind of music?

As far as an amp goes, if you can still find a Violectric V280 or V281 it will do a great job on almost any pair of headphones.

I like your taste in gear, I have the m5si. I can't imagine what size room and speakers you would need the m6si for :D

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Hello Neighbour :)

The music I'm listening to varies a lot (I know helpful), most of the music is rock, jazz, blues, pop, some electro.

budget wise i thought ±4-500 for an amp and the same for a pair of headphones, perhaps slightly more but it all depends.
AMP can be second hand, the headphones will be new or refurbished by the OEM.

Thanks, the room is quite large but listening on the short side of the room and i opted for this amp so i can easily up the speakers and still use the same amp.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 18
My current setup is: Musical Fidelity M6i Musical Fidelity M6CD Musical Fidelity Vinyl Transrotor ZET3 with Benz Glider needle and SME 309 arm B&W CM9 speakers
The headphones I'm looking for will be used on both my game stations as well as on my Hi-Fi setup.
Currently I have a Sennheiser Game One (open back with microphone). The mic is not required as I have a USB mic.
The amp I'm currently using is the Astro Mixamp TR.
Initially I thought I buy a pair of DT990 and that's it, but spending again money in the 100-150 euro league I don't expect HUGE improvements (sure it will be superior).
Some initial contenders i had were the AKG-K712 (220,-), DT990 (120,-) or the AD700x (200,-) all German Amazon prices.
Then I thought, since the price of the AD700x is in the US much closer to the DT990 it wouldn't make sense to spend so much more money in Germany that it's worth on paper.
So my next contender at the moment are DT1990, T1 or something else in that price range. Prefer the price of the DT1990 since they need also a descent amp, especially on my Hi-Fi setup. Looking at prices, i believe the Beyerdynamic's are here reasonably priced compared to the US prices which would tip me over their direction.
No special preference for the amp, but I was looking at some Feliks amps or the currently in development K7 (DAC/AMP). My mixup would then be used in combination with the Feliks amp. many thanks for your help in my headphone quest.
I would say to just keep using the Game One with the Mix-amp/gaming console setup.
Get headphones that would basically be for the hi-fi system.
Looks like you could just hook up a headphone amplifier to the pre-outs on the back of the M6i
And connect the M6i to the PC, using USB.
I would suggest passing on the DT990 and AD700X.
I would go for the DT1990
What is your total budget for a head amp or DAC/amp and headphones?

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 18
test
I would say to just keep using the Game One with the Mix-amp/gaming console setup.
I was hoping to improve my gameplay sound as well, mainly the positional awareness (which is on my Game One already much better then all my previous head sets).

Looks like you could just hook up a headphone amplifier to the pre-outs on the back of the M6i
Yes, indeed I was thinking about using those.

And connect the M6i to the PC, using USB.
My PC and Hi-Fi are on separate floors so will anyway have to sometimes move stuff around, but that's ok for me.
Ideally i would unplug the new headphones and plug them in upstairs, but then I might need 2 amps :)

I would suggest passing on the DT990 and AD700X.
I would go for the DT1990
What is your total budget for a head amp or DAC/amp and headphones?
That was exactly my thought skip the DT990 / AD700X and move to the next tier.

Budget would be around 1000 euro total for both the amp and headphones, but if I would buy a great pair of headphones first, play around with it on my MixAmp and then buy a proper amp i could definitely stretch the budget if advised.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 18
I would say Sennheiser HD 600 and an OTL tube amp or Violectric or Meier Corda Jazz-ff, or LCD-2C and the Corda Jazz-ff.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 18
I was hoping to improve my gameplay sound as well, mainly the positional awareness (which is on my Game One already much better then all my previous head sets).
Yes, indeed I was thinking about using those.
My PC and Hi-Fi are on separate floors so will anyway have to sometimes move stuff around, but that's ok for me.
Ideally i would unplug the new headphones and plug them in upstairs, but then I might need 2 amps :)
That was exactly my thought skip the DT990 / AD700X and move to the next tier.
Budget would be around 1000 euro total for both the amp and headphones, but if I would buy a great pair of headphones first, play around with it on my MixAmp and then buy a proper amp i could definitely stretch the budget if advised.
I doubt your going to find headphones that offer a noticeable improvement, in FPS gaming, over the Game One headset
(if you wish to buy 20 headphones to try and find better headphones for FPS gaming, sure, go fo it),
headphones that offer better overall sound quality, sure.

A JDS Atom or Schiit Magni head amp would easily drive the 250-Ohm DT1990.

Normally a Mix-amp needs to have the volume controls maxed out, to halfway decently drive a 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Should not be an issue if you want to daisy chain a headphone amplifier, off the Mix-amp's headphone jack.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 18
I would say Sennheiser HD 600 and an OTL tube amp or Violectric or Meier Corda Jazz-ff, or LCD-2C and the Corda Jazz-ff.
Will compare the sound characteristics of the HD600 vs the DT1990 in more detail and I looked at the Feliks Audio amps, which are also OTL amps I believe and since I live in Europe they are fairly priced here :)

I doubt your going to find headphones that offer a noticeable improvement, in FPS gaming, over the Game One headset
(if you wish to buy 20 headphones to try and find better headphones for FPS gaming, sure, go fo it),
headphones that offer better overall sound quality, sure.

A JDS Atom or Schiit Magni head amp would easily drive the 250-Ohm DT1990.

Normally a Mix-amp needs to have the volume controls maxed out, to halfway decently drive a 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Should not be an issue if you want to daisy chain a headphone amplifier, off the Mix-amp's headphone jack.
Good to hear that the Game Ones are pretty ok for what I'm currently using them for, but the sound could definitely use some upgrade.

I'm now looking into the combination of a DT1990 and a Feliks Audio Echo as the Magni and Atom are hard to come by at the moment at least in Germany and for the price, i think the Feliks is quite good if I'm not mistaken.
Perhaps I could also look at a Pro-Ject Head Box for 129,- it's slightly cheaper then the Magni

Specs of the project:
  • Output: 725MW (in 32 ohm)
  • SNR: – 110 dBV
  • THD + N: < 0.002%
  • Reinforcement: 11dB

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 18
You can also look at https://www.meier-audio.de

I would buy Jan's amps nad skip the Pro Ject boxes unless you want a cheap DAC. You don't have to spend a lot of money but for Beyers and Sennheisers a low-end amp will be a waste of money.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 18
You can also look at https://www.meier-audio.de

I would buy Jan's amps nad skip the Pro Ject boxes unless you want a cheap DAC. You don't have to spend a lot of money but for Beyers and Sennheisers a low-end amp will be a waste of money.
Thanks, someone before recommended indeed a specific amp from Meier Audio, I believe the Jazz FF.
For people looking for the equipment this is the link if I'm not mistaken: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

Just ordered a pair of DT1990's (b-stock) from Beyer so assume it will be in good condition for less then 400,- euro.

I will be doing some more research on the amp before spending indeed my money. Reason for mentioning project was based on price as the Schiit Magni is also 135,- euro so assumed they would be similar (sound of course will be different). In the past I had a Pro-Ject record player and it was quite a bang for my buck so thought perhaps it would be the same for the head box, but apparently i was wrong there 😉

any other contenders for a good amp around 4-500 euro matching a dt1990?

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks, someone before recommended indeed a specific amp from Meier Audio, I believe the Jazz FF.
For people looking for the equipment this is the link if I'm not mistaken: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

Just ordered a pair of DT1990's (b-stock) from Beyer so assume it will be in good condition for less then 400,- euro.

I will be doing some more research on the amp before spending indeed my money. Reason for mentioning project was based on price as the Schiit Magni is also 135,- euro so assumed they would be similar (sound of course will be different). In the past I had a Pro-Ject record player and it was quite a bang for my buck so thought perhaps it would be the same for the head box, but apparently i was wrong there 😉

any other contenders for a good amp around 4-500 euro matching a dt1990?

Yes, I recommended the Jazz-ff earlier in this thread.

Other than Meier, I can't recommend any amps in that price range. I found buying inexpensive gear was too expensive.

I think the Pro Ject DACs would be good values in their price ranges. I don't think they have a serious headamp though.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 18
Yes, I recommended the Jazz-ff earlier in this thread.

Other than Meier, I can't recommend any amps in that price range. I found buying inexpensive gear was too expensive.

I think the Pro Ject DACs would be good values in their price ranges. I don't think they have a serious headamp though.
Yes scrolled back and saw it indeed, thanks for that, especially since there is currently a sale on some of the units so might go directly for go it as the next contenders (Feliks Audio or the Musical Fidelity) are now 200,- euros more expensive!

Some reviews initially worried me a bit, but now when the price is lowered I'm happy to take the change and loads of reviews also are very positive. It's most of the time just when people start to measure things, but then again do I measure the amp or do I listen to it.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #14 of 18
The Meier amp will be more flexible than Feliks OTL amps. Solid state amps can drive low or high impedance headphones, OTL amps don't usually drive low impedance headphones well. If you have only one headphone amp it might be better to get a more flexible one and then specialize later. If there is a discount on Meier, it will probably be difficult to get a better value.

I am not sure on the specs of the Musical Fidelity amp. I guess it should be good but I really don't know.

Yes, measurements on all modern equipment are beyond the threshold of hearing and I'm not sure if there is a correlation between what one guy is measuring and the sound quality. The ears and brain are in the best position to make the decision.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 18
The Meier amp will be more flexible than Feliks OTL amps. Solid state amps can drive low or high impedance headphones, OTL amps don't usually drive low impedance headphones well. If you have only one headphone amp it might be better to get a more flexible one and then specialize later. If there is a discount on Meier, it will probably be difficult to get a better value.

I am not sure on the specs of the Musical Fidelity amp. I guess it should be good but I really don't know.

Yes, measurements on all modern equipment are beyond the threshold of hearing and I'm not sure if there is a correlation between what one guy is measuring and the sound quality. The ears and brain are in the best position to make the decision.

I ordered this morning the amp as you also said it's a real good deal and the communication with the owner was quick and easy so can't wait till I receive the headphone and amp.

The musical Fidelity looks great but again for the price of the Jazz FF I just could not justify going for the MF and looking at the reviews they were already promising with at the standard price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back