New member looking for closed (isolating) recommendations that will rival my HD600s
Oct 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rambler

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here! I've been reading a lot of posts here and finally registered to get some specific advice.

I've had Sennheiser HD600s for 7-8 years and have used them for everything: they sound great and they're super comfortable. I'm on my third cord and second pad set. I recently got a new job where I'm in an office all day where there are lot of people and it's nice to have some headphones to isolate. First I got an amp and dac: the Fiio E09 and E17. I'll admit I was very surprised at the difference this made with the phones I've been using for ages. 

The HD600s are not very isolating, either way (blocking incoming sounds or disturbing my neighbors in the office), and I'm looking for recommendations for closed-back phones that will rival them in sound quality and comfort. Here are some options I'm considering:

Foxtex TH-900: Expensive, but worth it? Hard to know without hearing them.

Audio-Technica W3000ANV: These are now only available used, and it's hard to know how much to pay.

Forget about my neighbors and go right for the HD800s which I know I'll love...

Anything else? Do I really need to spend more that 1k?

FWIW my source is primarily flacs/V0 mp3s/Spotify on a Mac with AU Lab providing an EQ - I've tweaking the 600s to my liking by recessing the mids, and I'm planning to continue to use this setup. I have broad musical tastes but I'll be disappointed if I'm not getting what I want from dynamic symphonic music such as Mahler and Brahms symphonies, big band such as Duke Ellington's Jazz Party, classic Ska, bluegrass, funk...

Thanks!

-Rambler

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 7
Simple, the closest sound quality to HD600 is the Sennheiser Momentum, but be aware of the tiny soundstage and recessed highs. otherwise, go for it. i have used both and really great.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 7
I wound up getting:

First, the PSB M4U 1 headphones. I liked some things about these very much: the transparency was great and they seemed very even. If I wanted to do some side-by-side testing of something or wanted reference headphones for mixing I think these would be very useful. I really didn't like the tight clamp they use, though. I need something comfortable for work and these weren't it. Returned them.

Finally, the TH900s. These are awesome.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Sounds cool - when/if I get tired of the TH900s, I'll try these. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back